A twist in the tale: Golgappas that are covered with chocolate and coconut, stuffed with candied peanuts and strawberries and water that is pure vanilla shake!
For chocolate golgappa
4 hard shell golgappas
200 gm dark chocolate, cut
½ cup each shredded coconut
+ colourful sprinkles
4 satay sticks
For salted candied peanuts
½ cup peanuts
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
For vanilla milk
1 cup milk, preferably whole, very
½ vanilla bean/pod
¼ tsp vanilla extract
2 scoops vanilla ice cream
To make chocolate golgappa
• Crack open the golgappa from the top with a light hand, make sure the crater is not too big and is cracked evenly. Push a satay stick or fork into each golgappa (from the back side or the hard side).
• Place your topping choices: shredded coconut and sprinkles into individual bowls.
• Heat the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave until almost fully melted. Remove from the heat and stir: it should fully melt and be warm, not hot.
• Hold the golgappa on top of the melted chocolate bowl. Pour the chocolate on it with a spoon, allow the extra chocolate to drip back into the bowl.
• Using your hands or a spoon, sprinkle your topping of choice onto the freshly dipped golgappa. It is easiest to hold the golgappa horizontally and close to the core and slowly spin it while spooning on the toppings.
• Place on a greased parchment paper cracked side down, remove the satay stick and cover the hole with a little melted chocolate.
• Repeat the same process for the three other golgappas and then place them altogether in the refrigerator until the chocolate is set, should take about 15 minutes.
• Slice the strawberry head neatly. Keep it separately for garnish. Chop the rest of the strawberries into small squares. Keep them aside in a bowl.
• Next step - get ready for final presentation.
To make vanilla milk
• Pour the milk into a blender.
• Using just the tip of a sharp paring knife, slice the vanilla bean open lengthwise.
• Scrape the seeds into the milk by running the back, or dull side, of the knife along the length of the vanilla bean.
• Add the vanilla extract, followed by the ice cream.
• Blend and then refrigerate.
To make salted candied peanuts
• In a large heavy bottomed pan, combine sugar, water and vanilla extract and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
• Once up to a boil, continue to stir and cook over medium-high until the water evaporates and the sugar syrup seizes and crystallizes.
• Continue stirring and the crystallized sugar will start to melt and caramelize. Stir this to coat the peanuts until all the sugar has caramelized and no more granulated sugar remains.
• Remove from heat and immediately stir in one teaspoon vanilla extract and then turn out onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with sea salt. Let it cool completely and then break up nuts into individual pieces.
Final presentation of dish
• Add a layer of candied peanuts into the shot glass.
• Top it with a layer of chopped strawberries.
• Place the chocolate golgappas on top of this shot glass.
• Serve three of these golgappas with a
small shot of vanilla milk.