Billed as one of the best movies of 2017, War for the Planet of the Apes combines a morally complex storyline with eye-popping special effects and stunning scenery – much of which was filmed in and around Vancouver and Vancouver Island over a period of 180 days, from late 2015 to early 2016.
To promote this, Tourism Vancouver, the Vancouver Film Commission and Vancouver Island North Film Commission have partnered on a “Home of the Apes” contest and social media campaign drawing attention to the fact the film was primarily shot in British Columbia. “This is a great example of teamwork between our tourism and film communities,” said Stephen Pearce, vice president of Marketing at Tourism Vancouver. “And it provides yet another reason to explore our city and province.”
The “Home of the Apes” sweepstakes prize includes a trip for two to Vancouver and Vancouver Island with four nights of luxury accommodation, as well as outdoor adventure experiences. The prize is valued at more than $4,500 CAD. For full contest details, and to enter, visit www.tourismvancouver.com/apes.
“It’s simple: you’ve seen the movie, now come visit the locations,” said David Shepheard, director of the Vancouver Film Commission. “Film tourism provides immense benefits for the local economy in enticing more tourists to visit and stay in B.C. while exploring the vast amount of productions that film in these areas. The partnership between the film commissions and Tourism Vancouver was an obvious next step to combine the attractions of two of the region’s largest industries, and we look forward to further collaborations.”
The “Home Of The Apes” sweepstakes prize* includes:
• Round-trip flights for two to Vancouver, British Columbia
• Two nights at the waterfront Pan Pacific Hotel Vancouver, including daily breakfast, evening tapas and panoramic views of ocean and mountains
• Cycling tour of Stanley Park – pictured in countless films and TV series – courtesy of Cycle City Tours
• Complimentary admission to Capilano Suspension Bridge Park, filled with towering evergreens, cedar-scented rainforest air and suspended footbridges
• Round-trip flights to Vancouver Island courtesy of KD Air
• Two nights at the luxurious Water’s Edge Shoreside Suites in Ucluelet
• Car rental, courtesy of Budget
• Guided kayaking tour with Majestic Ocean Kayaking
• Whale watching excursion with Remote Passages
• Stand-up paddleboarding adventure with Ocean Outfitters
• Admission to the Ucluelet Aquarium