Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Jun, 2025 11:50 AM
  • B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Bengaluru, June 10 (IANS) The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court in Bengaluru, on Tuesday, issued a notice to the Congress-led government in Karnataka over the suspension of senior IPS officer in connection with the recent stampede near the Chinnaswamy Stadium here last week.  

Senior IPS officer Vikash Kumar Vikash has challenged the suspension order issued by the Karnataka government in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court at Bengaluru and filed a petition before it on Monday.

Hearing the petition, the CAT bench considered the submission by the state through the Advocate General Shashi Kiran Shetty that the prosecution requires time to file objections in this regard.

The court adjourned the matter to June 12 after issuing a notice to the state government in this regard.

Vikash Kumar Vikash was serving as the Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West).

He was deputed as the incharge of the Chinnaswamy Stadium, where the stampede occurred.

He has contended that the state government had made him a scapegoat in the incident.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on June 3 announced the suspension of five senior police officers.

An order in this regard said: "On June 4, there was a stampede during the victory celebrations of Royal Challengers Bengaluru in Chinnaswamy Stadium. Eleven people have died and more than 50 people have been injured. A magisterial enquiry has been ordered by Bengaluru Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate for giving his report within 15 days."

On examination of the way events have unfolded leading to the tragedy prima facie, it is found that there has been on the face of it substantial dereliction of duty by the following officers -- B. Dayananda, IPS, Additional Director General and Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City, Bengaluru; Vikash Kumar Vikash, IPS, Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West); Shekar H Tekkannavar, IPS, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central Division, Bengaluru City; C Balakrishna, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Cubbon Park, Bengaluru, and A. K. Girish, Police Inspector, Cubbon Park Police Station, Bengaluru, the order said.

The officers are placed under suspension with immediate effect, the order noted.

The order also noted: "The CEO of RCB had intimated Bengaluru Commissioner of Police on June 3 about holding the victory parade and celebrations on June 4. However, the office of Police Commissioner failed to give written reply to the organisers, rejecting permission on the grounds of lack of time to prepare for such a huge event."

Despite, the knowledge of these developments and expectation of huge turnout of cricket fans by the police, steps were not taken to either have the event organised systematically at the stadium or give adequate information to the public to take necessary precautions for their safety or provide additional police force for appropriate crowd management, the order said.

"Further, the above situation was not discussed with the higher-ups for taking necessary guidance and advice in the matter. As a result, the situation went out of control and brought a lot of misery, loss of precious life and embarrassment to the government. In view of the above, the conduct of the above mentioned IPS Officers is in gross violation of AIS (Conduct) Rules and that of the Assistant Commissioner Of Police and Police Inspector is in gross violation of the Karnataka State Police (Disciplinary Proceedings) Rules, 1965," the order noted.

However, the state has seen unprecedented politics over the tragedy and the opposition parties BJP and JD-S have claimed that the state government suspended police officers to save itself.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Hyderabad student goes missing in US

Hyderabad student goes missing in US
A 23-year-old Indian student from Hyderabad has been missing in the US state of California since May 28 and police have sought public help to locate her. Nitheesha Kandula, a student of California State University, San Bernardino (CSUSB), was last seen in Los Angeles on May 28.

Hyderabad student goes missing in US

Ajmer: Two held for gang-raping schoolgirl after befriending her on Instagram

Ajmer: Two held for gang-raping schoolgirl after befriending her on Instagram
The Rajasthan Police on Monday arrested two individuals in Ajmer district who allegedly gang-raped a minor girl and were blackmailing her. The main accused, identified as Irfan, was reportedly introduced to the victim, a Class 11 student, by one of her friends. He befriended her on Instagram, morphed her pictures and started blackmailing her. Later, he and his accomplices gang-raped the minor girl.

Ajmer: Two held for gang-raping schoolgirl after befriending her on Instagram

Taj Express catches fire in Delhi, no injuries reported

Taj Express catches fire in Delhi, no injuries reported
A few coaches of the Taj Express train caught fire in Delhi's Sarita Vihar area on Monday, a fire department official said, adding that no one was injured in the incident. According to the fire department, a call regarding the blaze was received at 4:25 p.m.

Taj Express catches fire in Delhi, no injuries reported

Five Delhi Police officials arrested for extorting Rs 10L, assaulting four

Five Delhi Police officials arrested for extorting Rs 10L, assaulting four
Five police personnel were arrested for allegedly extorting Rs 10 lakh and physically assaulting four men, including a Haryana Police constable, in southwest Delhi, an official said on Thursday. The incident occurred early on Tuesday, and all the involved police officials have since been placed in judicial custody for 14 days.

Five Delhi Police officials arrested for extorting Rs 10L, assaulting four

Delhi hospital fire tragedy: Owner sent to 14-day judicial custody

Delhi hospital fire tragedy: Owner sent to 14-day judicial custody
A Delhi court on Thursday sent the owner of the Baby Care New Born Hospital, where seven children were recently killed in a massive fire, and a co-accused, to 14-day judicial custody. Hospital owner Dr. Naveen Khichi was arrested in the wake of the tragedy at the private hospital, along with an employee, Akash, who was on duty at that time.

Delhi hospital fire tragedy: Owner sent to 14-day judicial custody

2 lakh people affected in Assam due to floods

2 lakh people affected in Assam due to floods
Around 2 lakh people have been affected due to the devastating floods in the nine districts of Assam, an official said on Thursday. The Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA) has identified the nine districts as Hailakandi, Hojai, Golaghat, Nagaon, Karimganj, Cachar, Karbi Anglong West, Karbi Anglong, and Dima Hasao.

2 lakh people affected in Assam due to floods