Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Jun, 2025 11:50 AM
  • B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Bengaluru, June 10 (IANS) The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court in Bengaluru, on Tuesday, issued a notice to the Congress-led government in Karnataka over the suspension of senior IPS officer in connection with the recent stampede near the Chinnaswamy Stadium here last week.  

Senior IPS officer Vikash Kumar Vikash has challenged the suspension order issued by the Karnataka government in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court at Bengaluru and filed a petition before it on Monday.

Hearing the petition, the CAT bench considered the submission by the state through the Advocate General Shashi Kiran Shetty that the prosecution requires time to file objections in this regard.

The court adjourned the matter to June 12 after issuing a notice to the state government in this regard.

Vikash Kumar Vikash was serving as the Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West).

He was deputed as the incharge of the Chinnaswamy Stadium, where the stampede occurred.

He has contended that the state government had made him a scapegoat in the incident.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on June 3 announced the suspension of five senior police officers.

An order in this regard said: "On June 4, there was a stampede during the victory celebrations of Royal Challengers Bengaluru in Chinnaswamy Stadium. Eleven people have died and more than 50 people have been injured. A magisterial enquiry has been ordered by Bengaluru Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate for giving his report within 15 days."

On examination of the way events have unfolded leading to the tragedy prima facie, it is found that there has been on the face of it substantial dereliction of duty by the following officers -- B. Dayananda, IPS, Additional Director General and Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City, Bengaluru; Vikash Kumar Vikash, IPS, Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West); Shekar H Tekkannavar, IPS, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central Division, Bengaluru City; C Balakrishna, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Cubbon Park, Bengaluru, and A. K. Girish, Police Inspector, Cubbon Park Police Station, Bengaluru, the order said.

The officers are placed under suspension with immediate effect, the order noted.

The order also noted: "The CEO of RCB had intimated Bengaluru Commissioner of Police on June 3 about holding the victory parade and celebrations on June 4. However, the office of Police Commissioner failed to give written reply to the organisers, rejecting permission on the grounds of lack of time to prepare for such a huge event."

Despite, the knowledge of these developments and expectation of huge turnout of cricket fans by the police, steps were not taken to either have the event organised systematically at the stadium or give adequate information to the public to take necessary precautions for their safety or provide additional police force for appropriate crowd management, the order said.

"Further, the above situation was not discussed with the higher-ups for taking necessary guidance and advice in the matter. As a result, the situation went out of control and brought a lot of misery, loss of precious life and embarrassment to the government. In view of the above, the conduct of the above mentioned IPS Officers is in gross violation of AIS (Conduct) Rules and that of the Assistant Commissioner Of Police and Police Inspector is in gross violation of the Karnataka State Police (Disciplinary Proceedings) Rules, 1965," the order noted.

However, the state has seen unprecedented politics over the tragedy and the opposition parties BJP and JD-S have claimed that the state government suspended police officers to save itself.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Swati Maliwal assault case: Bibhav Kumar taken to Mumbai by Delhi Police

Swati Maliwal assault case: Bibhav Kumar taken to Mumbai by Delhi Police
Delhi Police on Tuesday took Bibhav Kumar, the former personal secretary of Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal to Mumbai in connection with the assault on AAP Rajya Sabha member Swati Maliwal, police official privy to the probe said.

Swati Maliwal assault case: Bibhav Kumar taken to Mumbai by Delhi Police

Met officials warn of severe heat wave in Rajasthan, mercury may hit 48-degree Celsius in some parts

Met officials warn of severe heat wave in Rajasthan, mercury may hit 48-degree Celsius in some parts
As Rajasthan continues to reel under an intense heat wave, the maximum temperature breached the 45-degree Celsius mark in many parts of the state in the last 24 hours. Pilani recorded the highest temperature at 46.6-degree Celsius, followed by Ganganagar (46.3) Barmer (46.1), Phalodi (46), Dholpur (45.9), and Kota (45.8).

Met officials warn of severe heat wave in Rajasthan, mercury may hit 48-degree Celsius in some parts

Disguised as chole bhature seller, wanted criminal nabbed from UP

Disguised as chole bhature seller, wanted criminal nabbed from UP
A man absconding for the past 20 years in connection with the abduction and murder of a Delhi-based businessman for ransom was arrested from near the Ramlila Maidan in Mainpuri, Uttar Pradesh, where he was selling chole bhature after changing his identity, Delhi Police said on Tuesday. An official of Delhi Police's Crime Branch said that to track the movement of Sipahi Lal a.k.a Gurdayal, ASI Sonu Nain posed as a mango seller and put up a 'rehri' near the Ramlila Maidan in Mainpuri.  

Disguised as chole bhature seller, wanted criminal nabbed from UP

Delhi HC dismisses Sisodia's bail pleas in excise policy cases by CBI and ED

Delhi HC dismisses Sisodia's bail pleas in excise policy cases by CBI  and ED
The Delhi High Court on Tuesday denied bail to AAP leader and former Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia in the alleged excise policy scam cases. A bench of Justice Swarana Kanta Sharma said that the applicant failed to pass the triple test for grant of bail in the corruption case and the twin conditions required under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002.

Delhi HC dismisses Sisodia's bail pleas in excise policy cases by CBI and ED

Everybody should go to space, says Captain Gopichand after touring space

Everybody should go to space, says Captain Gopichand after touring space
Everybody should go to space, said Captain Gopichand Thotakura after becoming the first Indian ever to tour the edge of space on Blue Origin's seventh crewed flight mission on Sunday. "It was amazing... you have to see it with your eyes," said the Vijayawada-born pilot, after coming out of the space capsule.

Everybody should go to space, says Captain Gopichand after touring space

Wanted gangster killed in encounter

Wanted gangster killed in encounter
A notorious gangster, also a member of the Himanshu Bhau gang, was killed following an encounter with Delhi Police’s Special Cell in the national capital, an official said on Friday. The accused was identified as Ajay Singroha a.k.a Goli, a resident of Ritoli village, Rohtak district in Haryana.

Wanted gangster killed in encounter