Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Jun, 2025 11:50 AM
  • B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Bengaluru, June 10 (IANS) The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court in Bengaluru, on Tuesday, issued a notice to the Congress-led government in Karnataka over the suspension of senior IPS officer in connection with the recent stampede near the Chinnaswamy Stadium here last week.  

Senior IPS officer Vikash Kumar Vikash has challenged the suspension order issued by the Karnataka government in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court at Bengaluru and filed a petition before it on Monday.

Hearing the petition, the CAT bench considered the submission by the state through the Advocate General Shashi Kiran Shetty that the prosecution requires time to file objections in this regard.

The court adjourned the matter to June 12 after issuing a notice to the state government in this regard.

Vikash Kumar Vikash was serving as the Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West).

He was deputed as the incharge of the Chinnaswamy Stadium, where the stampede occurred.

He has contended that the state government had made him a scapegoat in the incident.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on June 3 announced the suspension of five senior police officers.

An order in this regard said: "On June 4, there was a stampede during the victory celebrations of Royal Challengers Bengaluru in Chinnaswamy Stadium. Eleven people have died and more than 50 people have been injured. A magisterial enquiry has been ordered by Bengaluru Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate for giving his report within 15 days."

On examination of the way events have unfolded leading to the tragedy prima facie, it is found that there has been on the face of it substantial dereliction of duty by the following officers -- B. Dayananda, IPS, Additional Director General and Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City, Bengaluru; Vikash Kumar Vikash, IPS, Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West); Shekar H Tekkannavar, IPS, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central Division, Bengaluru City; C Balakrishna, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Cubbon Park, Bengaluru, and A. K. Girish, Police Inspector, Cubbon Park Police Station, Bengaluru, the order said.

The officers are placed under suspension with immediate effect, the order noted.

The order also noted: "The CEO of RCB had intimated Bengaluru Commissioner of Police on June 3 about holding the victory parade and celebrations on June 4. However, the office of Police Commissioner failed to give written reply to the organisers, rejecting permission on the grounds of lack of time to prepare for such a huge event."

Despite, the knowledge of these developments and expectation of huge turnout of cricket fans by the police, steps were not taken to either have the event organised systematically at the stadium or give adequate information to the public to take necessary precautions for their safety or provide additional police force for appropriate crowd management, the order said.

"Further, the above situation was not discussed with the higher-ups for taking necessary guidance and advice in the matter. As a result, the situation went out of control and brought a lot of misery, loss of precious life and embarrassment to the government. In view of the above, the conduct of the above mentioned IPS Officers is in gross violation of AIS (Conduct) Rules and that of the Assistant Commissioner Of Police and Police Inspector is in gross violation of the Karnataka State Police (Disciplinary Proceedings) Rules, 1965," the order noted.

However, the state has seen unprecedented politics over the tragedy and the opposition parties BJP and JD-S have claimed that the state government suspended police officers to save itself.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Illegal mining in Gurugram, Nuh: 1.38 cr penalty imposed, 193 vehicles seized

Illegal mining in Gurugram, Nuh: 1.38 cr penalty imposed, 193 vehicles seized
In a crackdown on illegal mining activities, penalties worth over Rs 1.38 crore have been imposed and 193 vehicles have been impounded for allegedly being involved in illegal mining in Haryana's Gurugram and Nuh districts over the past 10 months. The district Mining Department, led by Mining Officer Anil Atwal, said that apart from impounding 193 vehicles, 80 FIRs have also been registered against those allegedly involved in illegal mining activities in both districts.

Illegal mining in Gurugram, Nuh: 1.38 cr penalty imposed, 193 vehicles seized

Delhi cops bust interstate gunrunning racket; one held, 20 pistols seized

Delhi cops bust interstate gunrunning racket; one held, 20 pistols seized
Delhi Police’s Special Cell has arrested a key member of a Madhya Pradesh-based interstate illegal firearms syndicate and recovered 20 semi-automatic pistols which were to be supplied to criminals in the national Capital, an official said on Wednesday. The accused was identified as Gandh Das Dawar (27), a resident of Burhanpur District in MP.

Delhi cops bust interstate gunrunning racket; one held, 20 pistols seized

PM Modi tears into Congress for 'spreading lies' on LIC, PSUs

PM Modi tears into Congress for 'spreading lies' on LIC, PSUs
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday came down heavily on the Congress in the Rajya Sabha for “spreading lies and fake information” about LIC, saying that “the opposition spread rumours about LIC, but today its shares are trading at record high price". Hitting out at the Congress, the Prime Minister said that public sector undertaking (PSU) shares are giving good returns now.

PM Modi tears into Congress for 'spreading lies' on LIC, PSUs

Japanese woman tourist goes missing in Karnataka

Japanese woman tourist goes missing in Karnataka
A Japanese woman tourist went missing from Gokarna town in Karnataka's Uttara Kannada district, police said on Wednesday. The missing Japanese national is identified as 40-year-old Yumi Yamazaki. According to police, the woman stayed at a nature camp near Bangle Gudda near Gokarna.

Japanese woman tourist goes missing in Karnataka

Palace on Wheels to conduct tours to Ayodhya, Mathura and Kashi

Palace on Wheels to conduct tours to Ayodhya, Mathura and Kashi
Palace on Wheels officials said that during normal journey, non-veg food and liquor are served in the train because many foreign as well as domestic tourists travel in it. The company will now remove non-veg food from the menu during the religious trips. Also, onion and garlic will not be used in the food to be served to the passengers.

Palace on Wheels to conduct tours to Ayodhya, Mathura and Kashi

NOC to be no longer required for land, property registration in Punjab

NOC to be no longer required for land, property registration in Punjab
In a big relief to residents of the state, the Punjab government has decided to do away with the clause of no objection certificate (NOC) for registration of any land and property. Divulging details, Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann said the decision has been taken in larger public interest to ensure that people do not face any sort of inconvenience.  

NOC to be no longer required for land, property registration in Punjab