Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Jun, 2025 11:50 AM
  • B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Bengaluru, June 10 (IANS) The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court in Bengaluru, on Tuesday, issued a notice to the Congress-led government in Karnataka over the suspension of senior IPS officer in connection with the recent stampede near the Chinnaswamy Stadium here last week.  

Senior IPS officer Vikash Kumar Vikash has challenged the suspension order issued by the Karnataka government in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court at Bengaluru and filed a petition before it on Monday.

Hearing the petition, the CAT bench considered the submission by the state through the Advocate General Shashi Kiran Shetty that the prosecution requires time to file objections in this regard.

The court adjourned the matter to June 12 after issuing a notice to the state government in this regard.

Vikash Kumar Vikash was serving as the Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West).

He was deputed as the incharge of the Chinnaswamy Stadium, where the stampede occurred.

He has contended that the state government had made him a scapegoat in the incident.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on June 3 announced the suspension of five senior police officers.

An order in this regard said: "On June 4, there was a stampede during the victory celebrations of Royal Challengers Bengaluru in Chinnaswamy Stadium. Eleven people have died and more than 50 people have been injured. A magisterial enquiry has been ordered by Bengaluru Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate for giving his report within 15 days."

On examination of the way events have unfolded leading to the tragedy prima facie, it is found that there has been on the face of it substantial dereliction of duty by the following officers -- B. Dayananda, IPS, Additional Director General and Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City, Bengaluru; Vikash Kumar Vikash, IPS, Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West); Shekar H Tekkannavar, IPS, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central Division, Bengaluru City; C Balakrishna, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Cubbon Park, Bengaluru, and A. K. Girish, Police Inspector, Cubbon Park Police Station, Bengaluru, the order said.

The officers are placed under suspension with immediate effect, the order noted.

The order also noted: "The CEO of RCB had intimated Bengaluru Commissioner of Police on June 3 about holding the victory parade and celebrations on June 4. However, the office of Police Commissioner failed to give written reply to the organisers, rejecting permission on the grounds of lack of time to prepare for such a huge event."

Despite, the knowledge of these developments and expectation of huge turnout of cricket fans by the police, steps were not taken to either have the event organised systematically at the stadium or give adequate information to the public to take necessary precautions for their safety or provide additional police force for appropriate crowd management, the order said.

"Further, the above situation was not discussed with the higher-ups for taking necessary guidance and advice in the matter. As a result, the situation went out of control and brought a lot of misery, loss of precious life and embarrassment to the government. In view of the above, the conduct of the above mentioned IPS Officers is in gross violation of AIS (Conduct) Rules and that of the Assistant Commissioner Of Police and Police Inspector is in gross violation of the Karnataka State Police (Disciplinary Proceedings) Rules, 1965," the order noted.

However, the state has seen unprecedented politics over the tragedy and the opposition parties BJP and JD-S have claimed that the state government suspended police officers to save itself.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Lagarpuria gang's deputy leader, wanted in Gurugram's multi-crore heist, nabbed in Delhi

Lagarpuria gang's deputy leader, wanted in Gurugram's multi-crore heist, nabbed in Delhi
The infamous Vikas Lagarpuria gang's second-in-command, who was wanted in six cases registered in Delhi and Haryana, was nabbed from Delhi's Khajuri Khas area, a Crime Branch official said on Tuesday. The gangster was identified as Dara Singh aka Dhare, a resident of Najafgarh, and previously involved in 19 cases including murder, extortion, abduction, under the Arms Act, and others.

Lagarpuria gang's deputy leader, wanted in Gurugram's multi-crore heist, nabbed in Delhi

MP firecracker factory blast: Death toll mounts to 11, search operation underway

MP firecracker factory blast: Death toll mounts to 11, search operation underway
The death toll in the fire incident in Madhya Pradesh’s Harda district on Tuesday rose to 11, while around 200 others are being treated after sustaining burn injuries. The severity of the blast in a firecracker factory was captured in a video, showing debris striking people filming the incident, highlighting the chaotic aftermath of the explosion.

MP firecracker factory blast: Death toll mounts to 11, search operation underway

Delhi govt announces free bus travel for transgender community

Delhi govt announces free bus travel for transgender community
Delhi government on Monday announced free bus travel for the transgender community in the national capital. Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said that a proposal will soon be passed in the Cabinet to implement the new scheme. Just as women can travel free in buses in the national capital, the transgender community will also be granted free tickets from now onwards.

Delhi govt announces free bus travel for transgender community

Jammu-Srinagar highway partially opened

Jammu-Srinagar highway partially opened
After remaining closed for a day due to shooting stones triggered by rains and snow between Ramsoo and Banihal, the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway has been partially opened for vehicular traffic, officials said on Friday. The Jammu-Srinagar National Highway is the lifeline of the Kashmir Valley and the main road link connecting Kashmir with the rest of the country, used by trucks laden with essential supplies and other vehicles.

Jammu-Srinagar highway partially opened

PM Modi to lay foundation for NLC India's 2,400 MW Odisha power project

PM Modi to lay foundation for NLC India's 2,400 MW Odisha power project
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday will be laying the foundation stone for the first phase of the 3,200 MW pit head green field thermal power project in Odisha being built by the integrated lignite/coal mining and power generation company NLC India Ltd, said a top company official. He also said the company plans a capital expenditure of about Rs 40,000 crore next fiscal and the lignite to methanol project is expected to be operational in 2027-28 and would produce 1,200 tonnes per day.

PM Modi to lay foundation for NLC India's 2,400 MW Odisha power project

Cash, gold worth about Rs 17 crore seized in Andhra Pradesh

Cash, gold worth about Rs 17 crore seized in Andhra Pradesh
Unaccounted cash, gold, and silver worth nearly Rs 17 crore have been seized in Andhra Pradesh ahead of simultaneous elections to the state Assembly and Lok Sabha. During the checking at different places, the police have seized the cash and other valuables in in Tirupati, Potti Sriramulu Nellore, and Kurnool districts since Thursday.

Cash, gold worth about Rs 17 crore seized in Andhra Pradesh