Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Jun, 2025 11:50 AM
  • B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Bengaluru, June 10 (IANS) The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court in Bengaluru, on Tuesday, issued a notice to the Congress-led government in Karnataka over the suspension of senior IPS officer in connection with the recent stampede near the Chinnaswamy Stadium here last week.  

Senior IPS officer Vikash Kumar Vikash has challenged the suspension order issued by the Karnataka government in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court at Bengaluru and filed a petition before it on Monday.

Hearing the petition, the CAT bench considered the submission by the state through the Advocate General Shashi Kiran Shetty that the prosecution requires time to file objections in this regard.

The court adjourned the matter to June 12 after issuing a notice to the state government in this regard.

Vikash Kumar Vikash was serving as the Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West).

He was deputed as the incharge of the Chinnaswamy Stadium, where the stampede occurred.

He has contended that the state government had made him a scapegoat in the incident.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on June 3 announced the suspension of five senior police officers.

An order in this regard said: "On June 4, there was a stampede during the victory celebrations of Royal Challengers Bengaluru in Chinnaswamy Stadium. Eleven people have died and more than 50 people have been injured. A magisterial enquiry has been ordered by Bengaluru Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate for giving his report within 15 days."

On examination of the way events have unfolded leading to the tragedy prima facie, it is found that there has been on the face of it substantial dereliction of duty by the following officers -- B. Dayananda, IPS, Additional Director General and Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City, Bengaluru; Vikash Kumar Vikash, IPS, Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West); Shekar H Tekkannavar, IPS, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central Division, Bengaluru City; C Balakrishna, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Cubbon Park, Bengaluru, and A. K. Girish, Police Inspector, Cubbon Park Police Station, Bengaluru, the order said.

The officers are placed under suspension with immediate effect, the order noted.

The order also noted: "The CEO of RCB had intimated Bengaluru Commissioner of Police on June 3 about holding the victory parade and celebrations on June 4. However, the office of Police Commissioner failed to give written reply to the organisers, rejecting permission on the grounds of lack of time to prepare for such a huge event."

Despite, the knowledge of these developments and expectation of huge turnout of cricket fans by the police, steps were not taken to either have the event organised systematically at the stadium or give adequate information to the public to take necessary precautions for their safety or provide additional police force for appropriate crowd management, the order said.

"Further, the above situation was not discussed with the higher-ups for taking necessary guidance and advice in the matter. As a result, the situation went out of control and brought a lot of misery, loss of precious life and embarrassment to the government. In view of the above, the conduct of the above mentioned IPS Officers is in gross violation of AIS (Conduct) Rules and that of the Assistant Commissioner Of Police and Police Inspector is in gross violation of the Karnataka State Police (Disciplinary Proceedings) Rules, 1965," the order noted.

However, the state has seen unprecedented politics over the tragedy and the opposition parties BJP and JD-S have claimed that the state government suspended police officers to save itself.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Badal slams Kejriwal, Mann for rejection of Bhullar’s plea for premature release

Badal slams Kejriwal, Mann for rejection of Bhullar’s plea for premature release
Stating that Mann had also shown his anti-Sikh face in the episode, Badal said the Punjab Government refused to recommend Prof Bhullar’s release despite knowing all the facts of the case, including the fact that the detainee’s health was precarious. “This is condemnable.” Calling upon the Khalsa Panth to recognise those who were working against it, Badal said, “The Panth helped AAP in securing 92 seats but has been betrayed.”  

Badal slams Kejriwal, Mann for rejection of Bhullar’s plea for premature release

282 drug abusers undergoing de-addiction treatment in Punjab: IGP

282 drug abusers undergoing de-addiction treatment in Punjab: IGP
Punjab Inspector General of Police (IGP) Sukhchain Singh Gill on Tuesday said that at least 282 drug abusers are currently undergoing de-addiction treatment across the state. Punjab Police has been promoting and creating awareness about section 64-A of the NDPS act, which provides an opportunity to a drug consumer, caught with a few grams of heroin or narcotic powder, for rehabilitation.

282 drug abusers undergoing de-addiction treatment in Punjab: IGP

Man arrested at Delhi airport, impersonation scam exposed

Man arrested at Delhi airport, impersonation scam exposed
The FIR accessed by IANS said that Vijai Mohandoss, a resident of Mangalur, Tamil Nadu, arrived on flight from Birmingham with a passport issued on November 8 2023. However, discrepancies were noticed when officials cross-checked his travel history. According to immigration records, Vijai had previously departed from India on January 17, 2020 using a different passport and later on March 10, 2021 from Bangalore using the same passport.

Man arrested at Delhi airport, impersonation scam exposed

Case filed against Rahul Gandhi, other Cong leaders: Assam CM

Case filed against Rahul Gandhi, other Cong leaders: Assam CM
Earlier on Tuesday, the Congress supporters clashed with the police as the administration did not permit Rahul Gandhi's 'Bharat Jodo Nyay Yatra' to enter Guwahati citing the possibility of heavy traffic congestion in the city. Following that, Assam Chief Minister directed the state DGP to file a police complaint against Rahul Gandhi for “provoking the crowd” during his Yatra.

Case filed against Rahul Gandhi, other Cong leaders: Assam CM

Uninterrupted power supply in UP for 24 hours from today

Uninterrupted power supply in UP for 24 hours from today
Uttar Pradesh will get uninterrupted power supply for 24 hours on Monday in view of the programmes scheduled for the Pran Pratishtha ceremony at the Ram temple in Ayodhya. According to orders issued by UPPCL chairman Ashish Kumar Goel, “Over the next 24 hours, all regions of the state will enjoy power without any interruptions in line with the chief minister’s directives.”

Uninterrupted power supply in UP for 24 hours from today

Will PM Modi now decide who will visit a temple, asks Rahul Gandhi

Will PM Modi now decide who will visit a temple, asks Rahul Gandhi
Gandhi said, “This is strange because Rahul Gandhi cannot go there while everyone else can visit the birthplace of Srimanta Sankardeva. Will PM Modi now decide who will visit a temple and when?” He and other senior Congress leaders and supporters staged a dharna at Haibargaon on the way to Sankardev's birthplace in Batadrava, while Congress MP Gaurav Gogoi and Batadrava MLA Sibamoni Bora went to the birthplace to settle the dispute.  

Will PM Modi now decide who will visit a temple, asks Rahul Gandhi