Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Jun, 2025 11:50 AM
  • B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Bengaluru, June 10 (IANS) The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court in Bengaluru, on Tuesday, issued a notice to the Congress-led government in Karnataka over the suspension of senior IPS officer in connection with the recent stampede near the Chinnaswamy Stadium here last week.  

Senior IPS officer Vikash Kumar Vikash has challenged the suspension order issued by the Karnataka government in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court at Bengaluru and filed a petition before it on Monday.

Hearing the petition, the CAT bench considered the submission by the state through the Advocate General Shashi Kiran Shetty that the prosecution requires time to file objections in this regard.

The court adjourned the matter to June 12 after issuing a notice to the state government in this regard.

Vikash Kumar Vikash was serving as the Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West).

He was deputed as the incharge of the Chinnaswamy Stadium, where the stampede occurred.

He has contended that the state government had made him a scapegoat in the incident.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on June 3 announced the suspension of five senior police officers.

An order in this regard said: "On June 4, there was a stampede during the victory celebrations of Royal Challengers Bengaluru in Chinnaswamy Stadium. Eleven people have died and more than 50 people have been injured. A magisterial enquiry has been ordered by Bengaluru Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate for giving his report within 15 days."

On examination of the way events have unfolded leading to the tragedy prima facie, it is found that there has been on the face of it substantial dereliction of duty by the following officers -- B. Dayananda, IPS, Additional Director General and Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City, Bengaluru; Vikash Kumar Vikash, IPS, Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West); Shekar H Tekkannavar, IPS, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central Division, Bengaluru City; C Balakrishna, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Cubbon Park, Bengaluru, and A. K. Girish, Police Inspector, Cubbon Park Police Station, Bengaluru, the order said.

The officers are placed under suspension with immediate effect, the order noted.

The order also noted: "The CEO of RCB had intimated Bengaluru Commissioner of Police on June 3 about holding the victory parade and celebrations on June 4. However, the office of Police Commissioner failed to give written reply to the organisers, rejecting permission on the grounds of lack of time to prepare for such a huge event."

Despite, the knowledge of these developments and expectation of huge turnout of cricket fans by the police, steps were not taken to either have the event organised systematically at the stadium or give adequate information to the public to take necessary precautions for their safety or provide additional police force for appropriate crowd management, the order said.

"Further, the above situation was not discussed with the higher-ups for taking necessary guidance and advice in the matter. As a result, the situation went out of control and brought a lot of misery, loss of precious life and embarrassment to the government. In view of the above, the conduct of the above mentioned IPS Officers is in gross violation of AIS (Conduct) Rules and that of the Assistant Commissioner Of Police and Police Inspector is in gross violation of the Karnataka State Police (Disciplinary Proceedings) Rules, 1965," the order noted.

However, the state has seen unprecedented politics over the tragedy and the opposition parties BJP and JD-S have claimed that the state government suspended police officers to save itself.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Delhi's Rs 75 lakh robbery solved, 5 arrested including victim's driver

Delhi's Rs 75 lakh robbery solved, 5 arrested including victim's driver
Five men, including a driver of the victim, were arrested for robbing Rs 75 lakh in Delhi's Shalimar Garden area at gunpoint, police said on Thursday. The accused were identified as Vicky Kumar, 33, Robin a.k.a Rasoo, Sudhanshu, 23, Mukesh a.k.a Bobby, 50, and Abhishek, 21.  According to police, on January 13, a police control room (PCR) call reporting a robbery of Rs 75 lakh was received at Shalimar Bagh police station.    

Delhi's Rs 75 lakh robbery solved, 5 arrested including victim's driver

Govt issues guidelines for coaching centres; violators to face penalties of up to Rs 1 lakh

Govt issues guidelines for coaching centres; violators to face penalties of up to Rs 1 lakh
The Ministry of Education has issued guidelines for regulation of coaching centers, underlining that instructions were framed by keeping that well-being of students at the forefront, an official said on Thursday. These guidelines prioritise students' mental wellness, fair practices, and inclusivity. If any coaching centre breaches the guidelines, it can be fined up to Rs 1 lakh.    

Govt issues guidelines for coaching centres; violators to face penalties of up to Rs 1 lakh

Over 110 flights delayed as fog continues in Delhi

Over 110 flights delayed as fog continues in Delhi
Over 110 international and domestic flights were delayed while around 25 were cancelled in the last 10 hours as a thick layer of fog blanketed Delhi, as per airport sources. The weatherman said that the visibility at Palam dropped to 300 metres at around 11 p.m. on Tuesday, which continued over the night and at 8:30 a.m Wednesday it was 600 metres.

Over 110 flights delayed as fog continues in Delhi

AAP will contest alone on all 13 parliamentary seats in Punjab: Mann

AAP will contest alone on all 13 parliamentary seats in Punjab: Mann
The INDIA bloc -- a coalition of 26 opposition parties, which aims to take on NDA- led by BJP -- is currently engaged in seat sharing talks. AAP is also a constituent and its senior leadership are presently holding talks with the Congress to finalise seat sharing in Punjab and Delhi.  Interestingly, AAP and Congress -- this week -- stitched an alliance to contest the January 18 mayoral post in Chandigarh as allies.

AAP will contest alone on all 13 parliamentary seats in Punjab: Mann

Delhi court sends Hizbul terrorist involved in 11 attacks to 14-day judicial custody

Delhi court sends Hizbul terrorist involved in 11 attacks to 14-day judicial custody
A Delhi court on Wednesday sent Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist, Javed Ahmed Mattoo, allegedly involved in 11 terror attack cases in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K), to 14-day judicial custody. The Special Cell of Delhi Police in coordination with other agencies on January 4 arrested the 'A++ category' terrorist, who carried a reward of Rs 10 lakh for his involvement in a series of terror attacks in J&K.

Delhi court sends Hizbul terrorist involved in 11 attacks to 14-day judicial custody

Gurugram hotel murder: Cops recover weapon used to kill Divya Pahuja

Gurugram hotel murder: Cops recover weapon used to kill Divya Pahuja
Divya, 27, was shot dead by Abhijeet Singh, the owner of Hotel City Point where she was staying. According to the police, Divya and Abhijeet were in a relationship. He shot her dead on January 2 in a fit of rage after she refused to delete some of his objectionable photographs from her mobile phone.

Gurugram hotel murder: Cops recover weapon used to kill Divya Pahuja