Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Jun, 2025 11:50 AM
  • B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Bengaluru, June 10 (IANS) The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court in Bengaluru, on Tuesday, issued a notice to the Congress-led government in Karnataka over the suspension of senior IPS officer in connection with the recent stampede near the Chinnaswamy Stadium here last week.  

Senior IPS officer Vikash Kumar Vikash has challenged the suspension order issued by the Karnataka government in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court at Bengaluru and filed a petition before it on Monday.

Hearing the petition, the CAT bench considered the submission by the state through the Advocate General Shashi Kiran Shetty that the prosecution requires time to file objections in this regard.

The court adjourned the matter to June 12 after issuing a notice to the state government in this regard.

Vikash Kumar Vikash was serving as the Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West).

He was deputed as the incharge of the Chinnaswamy Stadium, where the stampede occurred.

He has contended that the state government had made him a scapegoat in the incident.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on June 3 announced the suspension of five senior police officers.

An order in this regard said: "On June 4, there was a stampede during the victory celebrations of Royal Challengers Bengaluru in Chinnaswamy Stadium. Eleven people have died and more than 50 people have been injured. A magisterial enquiry has been ordered by Bengaluru Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate for giving his report within 15 days."

On examination of the way events have unfolded leading to the tragedy prima facie, it is found that there has been on the face of it substantial dereliction of duty by the following officers -- B. Dayananda, IPS, Additional Director General and Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City, Bengaluru; Vikash Kumar Vikash, IPS, Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West); Shekar H Tekkannavar, IPS, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central Division, Bengaluru City; C Balakrishna, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Cubbon Park, Bengaluru, and A. K. Girish, Police Inspector, Cubbon Park Police Station, Bengaluru, the order said.

The officers are placed under suspension with immediate effect, the order noted.

The order also noted: "The CEO of RCB had intimated Bengaluru Commissioner of Police on June 3 about holding the victory parade and celebrations on June 4. However, the office of Police Commissioner failed to give written reply to the organisers, rejecting permission on the grounds of lack of time to prepare for such a huge event."

Despite, the knowledge of these developments and expectation of huge turnout of cricket fans by the police, steps were not taken to either have the event organised systematically at the stadium or give adequate information to the public to take necessary precautions for their safety or provide additional police force for appropriate crowd management, the order said.

"Further, the above situation was not discussed with the higher-ups for taking necessary guidance and advice in the matter. As a result, the situation went out of control and brought a lot of misery, loss of precious life and embarrassment to the government. In view of the above, the conduct of the above mentioned IPS Officers is in gross violation of AIS (Conduct) Rules and that of the Assistant Commissioner Of Police and Police Inspector is in gross violation of the Karnataka State Police (Disciplinary Proceedings) Rules, 1965," the order noted.

However, the state has seen unprecedented politics over the tragedy and the opposition parties BJP and JD-S have claimed that the state government suspended police officers to save itself.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Delhi Police busted 'Dunki' network; six held, over 200 passport recovered

Delhi Police busted 'Dunki' network; six held, over 200 passport recovered
Police has identified the accused as Mohd. Ali Akbor (49); a Bangladesh national, Mohd. Ibraheem (44); Mohd. Mudassir Khan (33); Dheeraj Kumar Bishnoi (26); Gaurav Gulati (24); and Narender Arya (48). Earlier, police have also arrested Mohd. Anowar Kazi (22); Mohd. Kholilur Rahman (22); and Mohd. Younus Khan (42), all Bangladesh nationals.  

Delhi Police busted 'Dunki' network; six held, over 200 passport recovered

Bhagwant Mann pushing Punjab into abyss of dark days: BJP

Bhagwant Mann pushing Punjab into abyss of dark days: BJP
Daily murders, extortions and kidnappings have made all Punjabis numb with fear gripping their daily lives, but the Chief Minister "is in deep sleep and seems unperturbed", Jakhar said while lashing out at failure of the government to prevent daylight murder of Tarn Taran village sarpanch Sonu Cheema despite regular warnings.  

Bhagwant Mann pushing Punjab into abyss of dark days: BJP

PM Modi holds spectacular roadshow in Nashik, to throw open 27th National Youth Festival

PM Modi holds spectacular roadshow in Nashik, to throw open 27th National Youth Festival
Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in this pilgrim centre and launched a spectacular roadshow, virtually symbolising the start of the Bharatiya Janata Party and its allies’ 2024 poll campaign, here on Friday morning. PM Modi was accompanied by Chief Minister Eknath Shinde and Deputy CMs Devendra Fadnavis and Ajit Pawar, and state BJP chief Chandrashekhar Bawankule on an open-topped vehicle which traversed the 1.20 kms long road.  

PM Modi holds spectacular roadshow in Nashik, to throw open 27th National Youth Festival

IMD warns of bone-chilling cold wave in North India, dense fog for 5 days

IMD warns of bone-chilling cold wave in North India, dense fog for 5 days
There seems to be no immediate respite from the bone-chilling cold wave and fog which will continue for the next few days, said the India Meteorological Department (IMD) on Friday. The IMD said the cold wave to severe cold wave conditions are likely over North India during the next two days while cold day to severe day wave conditions are likely over the plains of Northwest India during the next three days and then the conditions will abate thereafter.  

IMD warns of bone-chilling cold wave in North India, dense fog for 5 days

Akali Dal reserves 33% seats for women in Assembly, Lok Sabha polls

Akali Dal reserves 33% seats for women in Assembly, Lok Sabha polls
Addressing the first all-women conference at the Maghi Mela in Muktsar Sahib, he said, “The SAD is also committed to giving a boost to all social welfare initiatives concerning womenfolk once we come to power in the state.” He said the ‘Shagun’ scheme, which was discontinued by the AAP Government, would be revived.

Akali Dal reserves 33% seats for women in Assembly, Lok Sabha polls

5 arrested in Rs 56K cr bank fraud case linked to Bhushan Steel sent to ED custody

5 arrested in Rs 56K cr bank fraud case linked to Bhushan Steel sent to ED custody
A Delhi court has sent five individuals arrested in connection with an alleged Rs 56,000 crore bank loan fraud related to Bhushan Steel Ltd (BSL) to ED custody. Special Judge Rajesh Kumar Goel of Rouse Avenue Court sent Ajay S. Mittal and Archana Mittal to ED custody until January 14, and Nitin Johri, Pankaj Kumar, and Pankaj Kumar Tiwari until January 15.

5 arrested in Rs 56K cr bank fraud case linked to Bhushan Steel sent to ED custody