Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Darpan News Desk IANS, 10 Jun, 2025 11:50 AM
  • B'luru stampede: Central Administrative Tribunal issues notice to K'taka govt over suspension of IPS officer

Bengaluru, June 10 (IANS) The Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court in Bengaluru, on Tuesday, issued a notice to the Congress-led government in Karnataka over the suspension of senior IPS officer in connection with the recent stampede near the Chinnaswamy Stadium here last week.  

Senior IPS officer Vikash Kumar Vikash has challenged the suspension order issued by the Karnataka government in the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) court at Bengaluru and filed a petition before it on Monday.

Hearing the petition, the CAT bench considered the submission by the state through the Advocate General Shashi Kiran Shetty that the prosecution requires time to file objections in this regard.

The court adjourned the matter to June 12 after issuing a notice to the state government in this regard.

Vikash Kumar Vikash was serving as the Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West).

He was deputed as the incharge of the Chinnaswamy Stadium, where the stampede occurred.

He has contended that the state government had made him a scapegoat in the incident.

Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on June 3 announced the suspension of five senior police officers.

An order in this regard said: "On June 4, there was a stampede during the victory celebrations of Royal Challengers Bengaluru in Chinnaswamy Stadium. Eleven people have died and more than 50 people have been injured. A magisterial enquiry has been ordered by Bengaluru Deputy Commissioner and District Magistrate for giving his report within 15 days."

On examination of the way events have unfolded leading to the tragedy prima facie, it is found that there has been on the face of it substantial dereliction of duty by the following officers -- B. Dayananda, IPS, Additional Director General and Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City, Bengaluru; Vikash Kumar Vikash, IPS, Inspector General and Additional Commissioner of Police, Bengaluru City (West); Shekar H Tekkannavar, IPS, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Central Division, Bengaluru City; C Balakrishna, Assistant Commissioner of Police, Cubbon Park, Bengaluru, and A. K. Girish, Police Inspector, Cubbon Park Police Station, Bengaluru, the order said.

The officers are placed under suspension with immediate effect, the order noted.

The order also noted: "The CEO of RCB had intimated Bengaluru Commissioner of Police on June 3 about holding the victory parade and celebrations on June 4. However, the office of Police Commissioner failed to give written reply to the organisers, rejecting permission on the grounds of lack of time to prepare for such a huge event."

Despite, the knowledge of these developments and expectation of huge turnout of cricket fans by the police, steps were not taken to either have the event organised systematically at the stadium or give adequate information to the public to take necessary precautions for their safety or provide additional police force for appropriate crowd management, the order said.

"Further, the above situation was not discussed with the higher-ups for taking necessary guidance and advice in the matter. As a result, the situation went out of control and brought a lot of misery, loss of precious life and embarrassment to the government. In view of the above, the conduct of the above mentioned IPS Officers is in gross violation of AIS (Conduct) Rules and that of the Assistant Commissioner Of Police and Police Inspector is in gross violation of the Karnataka State Police (Disciplinary Proceedings) Rules, 1965," the order noted.

However, the state has seen unprecedented politics over the tragedy and the opposition parties BJP and JD-S have claimed that the state government suspended police officers to save itself.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Gadkari opens, lays stones of 29 national highway projects in Punjab

Gadkari opens, lays stones of 29 national highway projects in Punjab
Union Minister Nitin Gadkari on Wednesday inaugurated and laid foundation stones of 29 national highway projects worth Rs 4,000 crore in Punjab. The projects included the Ladhowal bypass in Ludhiana, the six-lane flyover and two-lane road overbridge in Ludhiana, the four laning of the Jalandhar-Kapurthala section and three bridges on the Jalandhar-Makhu road.

Gadkari opens, lays stones of 29 national highway projects in Punjab

Sisodia, Singh's judicial custody extended; court directs jail authorities on election certificate collection

Sisodia, Singh's judicial custody extended; court directs jail authorities on election certificate collection
A Delhi court on Wednesday extended the judicial custody of AAP MP Sanjay Singh and former Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia until January 20. Singh, who had filed his nomination for the Rajya Sabha elections, has been directed by the court to be taken to the Returning Officer to collect the election certificate on January 12 under appropriate security.

Sisodia, Singh's judicial custody extended; court directs jail authorities on election certificate collection

Gurugram hotel murder: Reward of Rs 50K each announced for 2 absconding accused

Gurugram hotel murder: Reward of Rs 50K each announced for 2 absconding accused
Divya Pahuja, 27, was allegedly shot dead on January 2 by Abhijeet Singh, the owner of Hotel City Point, where she was staying. According to the police, Divya and Abhijeet were in a relationship and the latter killed the woman in a fit of rage after she refused to delete some of his objectionable photos from her mobile phone. It is being supected that Balraj and Ravi -- Abhijeet's friends dumped Divya's lifeless body somewhere in Punjab.

Gurugram hotel murder: Reward of Rs 50K each announced for 2 absconding accused

Akali Dal seeks CBI probe into molestation of girls in Punjab school

Akali Dal seeks CBI probe into molestation of girls in Punjab school
In a statement here, Majithia said in case, Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann did not dismiss the Education Minister immediately, it would be surmised that he was siding with the perpetrator behind the heinous act instead of the victims and their parents.

Akali Dal seeks CBI probe into molestation of girls in Punjab school

Delhi: Man arrested for duping over 40 people on pretext of providing flats

Delhi: Man arrested for duping over 40 people on pretext of providing flats
Delhi Police's Economic Offences Wing (EOW) has arrested a 38-year-old man for allegedly duping over 40 people on pretext of providing flats and misappropriating funds of more than Rs five crores, an official said on Tuesday. The accused was identified as Pradeep Sehrawat, a resident of sector-23 Dwarka , was also found involved six other cheating cases with similar modus operandi.  

Delhi: Man arrested for duping over 40 people on pretext of providing flats

Our only goal is to double the income of farmers: Raj farm min

Our only goal is to double the income of farmers: Raj farm min
State Agriculture and Horticulture Minister, Dr Kirodi Lal Meena, on Tuesday directed officials to adopt innovations in the field of agriculture for doubling the income of farmers. These innovations will increase production, which in turn will strengthen the economic condition of the farmers, he said.  

Our only goal is to double the income of farmers: Raj farm min