Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
India

Centre aims to supply solar power to 1 crore households by 2027

Darpan News Desk IANS, 05 Dec, 2024 12:03 PM
  • Centre aims to supply solar power to 1 crore households by 2027

New Delhi, Dec 5 (IANS) The PM Surya Ghar Muft Bijli Yojana aims to supply solar power to one crore households by March 2027, the government reiterated on Thursday.

The scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the aim of achieving 1 crore rooftop solar installations in the residential sector by Fiscal Year 2027 with an allocated budget of Rs 75,021 crore.

By March 2025, installations under the scheme are expected to exceed 10 lakh, with the numbers doubling to 20 lakh by October 2025, reaching 40 lakh by March 2026, and ultimately achieving the target of one crore by March 2027.

Launched by PM Modi on February 15, 2024, the groundbreaking initiative aims to provide free electricity to households by facilitating the installation of rooftop solar panels, said the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.

The scheme offers a subsidy of up to 40 per cent to households, making renewable energy more affordable and accessible.

In just nine months, 6.3 lakh installations have been completed, resulting in an impressive monthly installation rate of 70,000, 10 times higher than the pre-scheme average, according to the ministry.

With a goal to benefit one crore households, the programme is also expected to save the government Rs 75,000 crore annually in electricity costs.

"This transformative initiative empowers millions to adopt clean energy, reinforcing India's commitment to sustainable development and energy innovation," said the Ministry.

Earlier, the government said that around 1.45 crore registrations have been done and 6.34 lakh installations were completed under the PM Surya Ghar Muft Bijli Yojana.

The National Portal reported a total of 1.45 crore registrations, 26.38 lakh applications, and 6.34 lakh rooftop solar installations, Union Minister of State (MoS) for New and Renewable Energy and Power, Shripad Naik, said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.

The subsidy has been issued to 3.66 lakh applicants, and it is regularly released within 15 to 21 days, according to the Minister.

MORE India ARTICLES

3 dead, 40 injured in Yamuna Expressway accident

3 dead, 40 injured in Yamuna Expressway accident
The double-decker bus was going from Delhi to Bihar when it hit a divider and overturned on Sunday night. The injured have been sent to the district hospital where they are undergoing treatment.

3 dead, 40 injured in Yamuna Expressway accident

Railways cancel more than 400 trains before Holi

Railways cancel more than 400 trains before Holi
According to the Railways, some trains coming from Barauni to New Delhi, from Howrah Junction to Jabalpur, from Lucknow to Patliputra, the Humsafar Express from Anand Vihar Terminal to Gorakhpur and the Jharkhand Express coming from Hatia to Anand Vihar Terminal have been cancelled.

Railways cancel more than 400 trains before Holi

Extend Delhi excise scam probe to Punjab: Akali Dal

Extend Delhi excise scam probe to Punjab: Akali Dal
Asserting large-scale corruption in the Punjab excise policy, Majithia said like in the case of Delhi, the entire liquor trade had been handed over to two companies and their profit margin had been doubled to facilitate a quid pro quo.

Extend Delhi excise scam probe to Punjab: Akali Dal

Gold biscuits worth Rs 68 lakhs seized at Surat airport

Gold biscuits worth Rs 68 lakhs seized at Surat airport
The sources said that after a flight from Sharjah arrived at the airport, a passenger alerted a Customs officer about a flip cover being left behind on a trolley. Upon checking, the officer recovered 10 gold biscuits, wrapped in the cover.

Gold biscuits worth Rs 68 lakhs seized at Surat airport

Newly-wed couple found dead with stab wounds in Chhattisgarh

Newly-wed couple found dead with stab wounds in Chhattisgarh
The incident took place on Tuesday at Tikrapara area of Raipur. The deceased have been identified as Aslam Ahmed and Kahkasha Bano, the couple got married on February 19 and their wedding reception was scheduled to be held on Tuesday.

Newly-wed couple found dead with stab wounds in Chhattisgarh

NIA raids 70 locations linked to Bishnoi, Bawana & other gangsters

NIA raids 70 locations linked to Bishnoi, Bawana & other gangsters
Lawrence Bishnoi was placed under arrest by the NIA on November 24, 2022 in connection with a case related to conspiracy hatched by terrorists, gangsters and drug smugglers' syndicate to create terror among the public. His arrest was made when he was lodged in the Bhatinda Jail.

NIA raids 70 locations linked to Bishnoi, Bawana & other gangsters