Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
India

Centre aims to supply solar power to 1 crore households by 2027

Darpan News Desk IANS, 05 Dec, 2024 12:03 PM
  • Centre aims to supply solar power to 1 crore households by 2027

New Delhi, Dec 5 (IANS) The PM Surya Ghar Muft Bijli Yojana aims to supply solar power to one crore households by March 2027, the government reiterated on Thursday.

The scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with the aim of achieving 1 crore rooftop solar installations in the residential sector by Fiscal Year 2027 with an allocated budget of Rs 75,021 crore.

By March 2025, installations under the scheme are expected to exceed 10 lakh, with the numbers doubling to 20 lakh by October 2025, reaching 40 lakh by March 2026, and ultimately achieving the target of one crore by March 2027.

Launched by PM Modi on February 15, 2024, the groundbreaking initiative aims to provide free electricity to households by facilitating the installation of rooftop solar panels, said the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.

The scheme offers a subsidy of up to 40 per cent to households, making renewable energy more affordable and accessible.

In just nine months, 6.3 lakh installations have been completed, resulting in an impressive monthly installation rate of 70,000, 10 times higher than the pre-scheme average, according to the ministry.

With a goal to benefit one crore households, the programme is also expected to save the government Rs 75,000 crore annually in electricity costs.

"This transformative initiative empowers millions to adopt clean energy, reinforcing India's commitment to sustainable development and energy innovation," said the Ministry.

Earlier, the government said that around 1.45 crore registrations have been done and 6.34 lakh installations were completed under the PM Surya Ghar Muft Bijli Yojana.

The National Portal reported a total of 1.45 crore registrations, 26.38 lakh applications, and 6.34 lakh rooftop solar installations, Union Minister of State (MoS) for New and Renewable Energy and Power, Shripad Naik, said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.

The subsidy has been issued to 3.66 lakh applicants, and it is regularly released within 15 to 21 days, according to the Minister.

MORE India ARTICLES

Delhi woman burnt by her live-in partner, succumbs to injuries

Delhi woman burnt by her live-in partner, succumbs to injuries
A 28 year-old woman, who was set on fire by her live-in partner in Rohini area, succumbed to injuries during the treatment at a hospital in the national capital, said an official on Tuesday. Police said that they have detained the live-in partner, identified as Mohit.

Delhi woman burnt by her live-in partner, succumbs to injuries

Shraddha murder case transferred to sessions court, Aftab to be produced on Feb 24

Shraddha murder case transferred to sessions court, Aftab to be produced on Feb 24
The court had on February 7 taken cognisance of the charge sheet filed by the Delhi Police against Poonawala. On January 24, the police had filed the charge sheet in the case which contains over 6,000 pages, and the court had extended his custody for 14 days.

Shraddha murder case transferred to sessions court, Aftab to be produced on Feb 24

Punjab Budget to be presented on March 10

Punjab Budget to be presented on March 10
A spokesperson for the Chief Minister's Office said the Cabinet authorised the Governor to convene the session, as per Article 174 of the Constitution. As per the schedule, the budget session will commence on March 3 at 10 a.m. with Governor's address followed by obituary references at 2 p.m.

Punjab Budget to be presented on March 10

Inspired by Bollywood movies, teenager who committed crimes nabbed

Inspired by Bollywood movies, teenager who committed crimes nabbed
Inspired by the character 'Maya Bhaiya' from the Bollywood movie 'Shootout at Lokhandwala,' a 17-year-old boy, who had been taking advantage of being a minor and had committed crimes including murder, attempt to murder and robbery among others, has been apprehended, said an official of Delhi Police's Crime Branch on Friday. 

Inspired by Bollywood movies, teenager who committed crimes nabbed

Delhi HC issues notice to NIA on terror convict's plea for concurrent sentences

Delhi HC issues notice to NIA on terror convict's plea for concurrent sentences
Mohsin Ibrahim Sayyed was convicted in January 2022 in the Malvani ISIS case on charges of trying to radicalise Muslim youths to join the Islamic State terror group in India and by the Patiala House Court last year in June for conspiracy to perform a terror strike during the Ardh Kumbh Mela at Haridwar.

Delhi HC issues notice to NIA on terror convict's plea for concurrent sentences

Nigerian woman held at IGI with cocaine valued at Rs 18cr

Nigerian woman held at IGI with cocaine valued at Rs 18cr
A Nigerian woman has been apprehended at the Indira Gandhi International Airport here by Customs officials with 1.2 kg of cocaine valued at Rs 18 crore, officials said on Friday. The official said that the accused Nigerian woman came from Addis Ababa.

Nigerian woman held at IGI with cocaine valued at Rs 18cr