Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 Dec, 2024 12:12 PM
  • Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Atishi has directed the Chief Secretary (CS) to conduct an enquiry into the faulty execution and maintenance of the Nand Nagri Railway Over Bridge and Railway Underbridge, which were built between 2011 and 2015.

Atishi has expressed her strong displeasure over the findings that these bridges, initially expected to last for 70 years, developed major cracks within months of completion.

"I fail to understand if such huge discrepancies existed as pointed in the report, then why no action was taken against the contractor and the erring officials. It is shocking to note that while the normal life of a flyover is more than 70 years, these bridges started developing cracks within just 2-3 months of its completion. This is a clear indication that there was rampant corruption in the execution of the project," Atishi said in a statement.

She has instructed the Chief Secretary to conduct an enquiry against all the officers involved in framing of the tender, awarding work contract and supervising execution of the work in 2011-15.

She also instructed the CS to conduct an enquiry against the third party agency that conducted the quality control work after the completion of the project.

Atishi asked the CS to take the strongest possible action against all the officers and contractors who were responsible for the gross negligence in the execution and maintenance of the project.

Meanwhile, a status report submitted to CM Atishi revealed that significant structural issues were identified soon after the project's completion.

According to the report, the critical panel of the carriageway connecting Nand Nagri to Durgapuri showed signs of distress during initial construction itself.

In 2019, a consultancy firm hired to investigate the matter recommended halting heavy vehicle movement on the bridge and replacing the deck slab entirely due to the defective construction, says the statement.

CM Atishi said that the bridges, which cost nearly Rs 100 crore, not only caused a grave loss to the public exchequer but also endangered public lives.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Fake IT officials conduct raid in Delhi, 4 held

Fake IT officials conduct raid in Delhi, 4 held
The police have so far managed to nab four of the accused, including one woman, who have been identified as Gurjant Singh (31), Navjot Singh (30), Satpal Singh (28) and Gurpreet Kaur (30).

Fake IT officials conduct raid in Delhi, 4 held

Moosewala murder: Youngest attacker was most desperate, fired simultaneously from two guns

Moosewala murder: Youngest attacker was most desperate, fired simultaneously from two guns
The ambidextrous sharpshooter, identified as Ankit alias Chhota, a resident of Sonipat in Haryana, was most desperate to commit the crime."He fired simultaneously from two pistols in his two hands," H.G.S. Dhaliwal, Special Commissioner (Special Cell), said during a media briefing.

Moosewala murder: Youngest attacker was most desperate, fired simultaneously from two guns

Post-SC verdict, 'reluctant CM' Thackeray quits top post, MLC seat

Post-SC verdict, 'reluctant CM' Thackeray quits top post, MLC seat
With this the two-and-half year old, three-party Shiv Sena-Nationalist Congress Party-Congress government experiment has collapsed, barely hours after Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari ordered a floor test late on Tuesday night.

Post-SC verdict, 'reluctant CM' Thackeray quits top post, MLC seat

Two hypnotist-thieves arrested in south Delhi

Two hypnotist-thieves arrested in south Delhi
In a daze the victim handed over her gold locket and a pair of golden tops to the accused. When she regained her senses she called the police. Based on her complaint, the police registered a case under sections 420 and 34 of the Indian Penal Code.

Two hypnotist-thieves arrested in south Delhi

Mukesh Ambani steps down from Reliance Jio, son Akash named Chairman

Mukesh Ambani steps down from Reliance Jio, son Akash named Chairman
In regulatory filing, Reliance Jio, the telecom arm of the Reliance group, said the Board of Directors at its meeting held on Monday "approved the appointment of Akash Ambani, Non-executive Director, as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the company".

Mukesh Ambani steps down from Reliance Jio, son Akash named Chairman

Punjab Police official booked for firing incident

Punjab Police official booked for firing incident
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Mohali, Vivek Sheel Soni, on Tuesday ordered registration of an FIR against Sub-Inspector (S-I) Balwinder Singh in the firing incident in Dera Bassi in Punjab. The SSP also initiated departmental action against three police personnel present at the spot for major punishment.

Punjab Police official booked for firing incident