Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
India

Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 Dec, 2024 12:12 PM
  • Delhi CM Atishi orders probe into faulty Nand Nagri bridges

New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) Delhi Chief Minister Atishi has directed the Chief Secretary (CS) to conduct an enquiry into the faulty execution and maintenance of the Nand Nagri Railway Over Bridge and Railway Underbridge, which were built between 2011 and 2015.

Atishi has expressed her strong displeasure over the findings that these bridges, initially expected to last for 70 years, developed major cracks within months of completion.

"I fail to understand if such huge discrepancies existed as pointed in the report, then why no action was taken against the contractor and the erring officials. It is shocking to note that while the normal life of a flyover is more than 70 years, these bridges started developing cracks within just 2-3 months of its completion. This is a clear indication that there was rampant corruption in the execution of the project," Atishi said in a statement.

She has instructed the Chief Secretary to conduct an enquiry against all the officers involved in framing of the tender, awarding work contract and supervising execution of the work in 2011-15.

She also instructed the CS to conduct an enquiry against the third party agency that conducted the quality control work after the completion of the project.

Atishi asked the CS to take the strongest possible action against all the officers and contractors who were responsible for the gross negligence in the execution and maintenance of the project.

Meanwhile, a status report submitted to CM Atishi revealed that significant structural issues were identified soon after the project's completion.

According to the report, the critical panel of the carriageway connecting Nand Nagri to Durgapuri showed signs of distress during initial construction itself.

In 2019, a consultancy firm hired to investigate the matter recommended halting heavy vehicle movement on the bridge and replacing the deck slab entirely due to the defective construction, says the statement.

CM Atishi said that the bridges, which cost nearly Rs 100 crore, not only caused a grave loss to the public exchequer but also endangered public lives.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Fake call centre busted in south Delhi, 2 held

Fake call centre busted in south Delhi, 2 held
During the course of investigation, the team collected bank account details of the beneficiary accounts and details of the alleged calling numbers were obtained. During further enquiry, it was revealed that the accused were using fake SIM cards for making calls to the complainant. The bank details were analysed and a trail was followed.

Fake call centre busted in south Delhi, 2 held

Three service chiefs brief PM Modi on Agnipath scheme

Three service chiefs brief PM Modi on Agnipath scheme
Army chief, General Manoj Pande, IAF chief Air Chief Marshal V.R. Chaudhari, and Navy chief, Admiral R Hari Kumar met the PM at his residence separately. As per reports, all the three apprised him about the successful rollout of the recently-launched scheme and the induction process.

Three service chiefs brief PM Modi on Agnipath scheme

Day 5: Rahul Gandhi questioned for 9 hours without lunch break

Day 5: Rahul Gandhi questioned for 9 hours without lunch break
Rahul Gandhi has so far been grilled for a total of about 49 hours. He was reportedly questioned about a few transactions made by Kolkata-based Dotex Merchandise Pvt Ltd.

Day 5: Rahul Gandhi questioned for 9 hours without lunch break

Pakistan's role under scanner in Moosewala murder

Pakistan's role under scanner in Moosewala murder
Sidhu was found soaked in his own blood on the driving seat of a Mahindra Thar SUV while two more occupants in the car, Sidhu's friends, Gurwinder Singh and Gurpreet Singh also received bullet injuries, but they survived.

Pakistan's role under scanner in Moosewala murder

Punjab IAS officer held for bribery

Punjab IAS officer held for bribery
The contractor paid Rs 3.5 lakh through Sanjeev Vats, a Superintendent-level official posted as secretary to the officer, who was heading the Water Supply and Sewerage Board, on January 12.

Punjab IAS officer held for bribery

Rahul Gandhi summoned by ED in National Herald case for 5th time

Rahul Gandhi summoned by ED in National Herald case for 5th time
Till now, he has been questioned for about 40 hours by the anti-money laundering agency, including on Monday. Gandhi was reportedly questioned about a few transactions made by Kolkata-based Dotex Merchandise Pvt Ltd.

Rahul Gandhi summoned by ED in National Herald case for 5th time