Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

ED seizes gold bars in Mumbai & Delhi in Rs 137 crore embezzlement case

Darpan News Desk IANS, 12 Dec, 2024 01:56 PM
  • ED seizes gold bars in Mumbai & Delhi in Rs 137 crore embezzlement case

Mumbai, Dec 12 (IANS) The Directorate of Enforcement (ED) seized gold bars worth Rs 3.4 crore and Rs 46 lakh during searches at 19 locations in Mumbai, Delhi and Gurgaon as part of an ongoing probe in Summaya-Dentsu case involving embezzlement of Rs 137 crore, an official said on Thursday.

During the course of search operations by the Mumbai Zonal Office on Tuesday, movable assets including Rs 46 Lakh, foreign currency equivalent to Rs 4 Lakh and gold bars amounting to Rs 3.4 crore have been seized.

Other incriminating documents related to immovable property transactions, and digital devices have been found and seized during the search proceedings, the official said.

ED initiated an investigation under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002 on the basis of an FIR registered by Worli Police Station against Dentsu Communications India Private Limited, Suumaya Industries Ltd and its promoters including others for allegedly embezzling Rs 137 crore under the guise of promising future ‘Need to Feed program’ advantages.

ED investigation so far has revealed that trade financing was secured from NBFCs under the pretext of the ‘Need to Feed’ program of the Government of Haryana to supply Agro products.

Accused persons have not received any contract from the government and there was no such program ever in existence either. Accused entities have in fact never supplied any Agro product materials for any such program. However, in order to create a false impression that they were supplying Agro products, the accused created fake records including fake lorry receipts and fake invoices.

The search operations have revealed that the listed entities of the Suumaya group entered into transactions worth Rs 5,000 Crore, wherein only 10 per cent of the transactions were genuine. These transactions were done in a circular pattern that led to an increase in the turnover of involved entities including Dentsu India.

Investors of the listed group entities of Suumaya group were misrepresented to show such artificially inflated transactions leading to huge spikes in share prices. The turnover of Suumaya Industries increased from Rs 210 Crore to Rs 6,700 crore in a span of two years from 2019-20 to 2021-22 which caused the share price to increase astronomically from Rs 19 per scrip to Rs 736 during this period.

Further, the circular transactions also led to an exponential increase in turnover of entities bidding for Government contracts, startups for valuation purposes and others.

Investigations have revealed that this was done in connivance with stock brokers and merchant bankers wherein amounts were paid in cash for commodities contracts on NCDEX and the acquisition of companies, which were later listed on the stock exchange.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Forest scam: ED searches premises of former minister in Punjab

Forest scam: ED searches premises of former minister in Punjab
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Thursday carried out searches at multiple locations in Punjab, including the premises of former Congress Minister Sadhu Singh Dharamsot, in connection with the alleged forest scam. An ED source said that the agency teams are searching the premises of Dharamsot and a contractor.  

Forest scam: ED searches premises of former minister in Punjab

Matter of concern, contrary to govt's policy: India reacts to US in SFJ's Pannun case

Matter of concern, contrary to govt's policy: India reacts to US in SFJ's Pannun case
The remarks from the MEA came after the US prosecutors on Wednesday announced murder-for-hire charges against Indian national Nikhil Gupta for involvement in a foiled plot to assassinate a US citizen allegedly on behalf of an Indian government employee. Gupta was arrested by Czech authorities on June 30 in response to a request by the US under an extradition treaty, according to a statement issued by the office of the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York Damian Williams.  

Matter of concern, contrary to govt's policy: India reacts to US in SFJ's Pannun case

100 CCTV footage helps Delhi Police nab man in hit-&-run case

100 CCTV footage helps Delhi Police nab man in hit-&-run case
A 27-year-old man died and another was injured after they were hit by a car in Delhi, an official said on Thursday, adding that they have arrested the accused after scanning over 100 CCTV cameras installed in the vicinity of the scene of crime. The deceased was identified as Karan Gupta, a resident of Vishnu Garden. The injured was identified as Omkar Patle, a resident of Raghuveer Nagar and was undergoing treatment at a hospital.

100 CCTV footage helps Delhi Police nab man in hit-&-run case

Foreign-based gangster's operative arrested in Punjab

Foreign-based gangster's operative arrested in Punjab
The accused had also put kerosene on the bodies and faces of both deceased women before setting them ablaze. Police teams have also recovered two pistols along with two magazines and 10 cartridges from their possession.

Foreign-based gangster's operative arrested in Punjab

Wanted criminal with Rs 1L bounty arrested in Gurugram

Wanted criminal with Rs 1L bounty arrested in Gurugram
An inter-state criminal carrying a reward of Rs one lakh was arrested in Haryana's Gurugram, police said on Thursday. According to the police, a crime branch team of the Gurugram Police had nabbed seven people in May 2023 from village Mahendrawada in the Bhondsi area while planning to commit robbery in the city.

Wanted criminal with Rs 1L bounty arrested in Gurugram

Govt approves 97 Tejas fighter jets, 156 helicopters for IAF

Govt approves 97 Tejas fighter jets, 156 helicopters for IAF
The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) on Thursday approved the purchase of 97 Tejas fighter jets and 156 Prachanda Helicopters for the Indian Air Force as part of a Rs 1.4 lakh crore package that will go to public sector Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL), a senior official confirmed. The DAC headed by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh also gave the go-ahead for the IAF’s plan to upgrade 84 Sukhoi 30 fighter jets.

Govt approves 97 Tejas fighter jets, 156 helicopters for IAF