Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

ED seizes gold bars in Mumbai & Delhi in Rs 137 crore embezzlement case

Darpan News Desk IANS, 12 Dec, 2024 01:56 PM
  • ED seizes gold bars in Mumbai & Delhi in Rs 137 crore embezzlement case

Mumbai, Dec 12 (IANS) The Directorate of Enforcement (ED) seized gold bars worth Rs 3.4 crore and Rs 46 lakh during searches at 19 locations in Mumbai, Delhi and Gurgaon as part of an ongoing probe in Summaya-Dentsu case involving embezzlement of Rs 137 crore, an official said on Thursday.

During the course of search operations by the Mumbai Zonal Office on Tuesday, movable assets including Rs 46 Lakh, foreign currency equivalent to Rs 4 Lakh and gold bars amounting to Rs 3.4 crore have been seized.

Other incriminating documents related to immovable property transactions, and digital devices have been found and seized during the search proceedings, the official said.

ED initiated an investigation under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002 on the basis of an FIR registered by Worli Police Station against Dentsu Communications India Private Limited, Suumaya Industries Ltd and its promoters including others for allegedly embezzling Rs 137 crore under the guise of promising future ‘Need to Feed program’ advantages.

ED investigation so far has revealed that trade financing was secured from NBFCs under the pretext of the ‘Need to Feed’ program of the Government of Haryana to supply Agro products.

Accused persons have not received any contract from the government and there was no such program ever in existence either. Accused entities have in fact never supplied any Agro product materials for any such program. However, in order to create a false impression that they were supplying Agro products, the accused created fake records including fake lorry receipts and fake invoices.

The search operations have revealed that the listed entities of the Suumaya group entered into transactions worth Rs 5,000 Crore, wherein only 10 per cent of the transactions were genuine. These transactions were done in a circular pattern that led to an increase in the turnover of involved entities including Dentsu India.

Investors of the listed group entities of Suumaya group were misrepresented to show such artificially inflated transactions leading to huge spikes in share prices. The turnover of Suumaya Industries increased from Rs 210 Crore to Rs 6,700 crore in a span of two years from 2019-20 to 2021-22 which caused the share price to increase astronomically from Rs 19 per scrip to Rs 736 during this period.

Further, the circular transactions also led to an exponential increase in turnover of entities bidding for Government contracts, startups for valuation purposes and others.

Investigations have revealed that this was done in connivance with stock brokers and merchant bankers wherein amounts were paid in cash for commodities contracts on NCDEX and the acquisition of companies, which were later listed on the stock exchange.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Cabinet clears Rs 11.8 lakh cr scheme for free foodgrain to poor

Cabinet clears Rs 11.8 lakh cr scheme for free foodgrain to poor
Addressing a press conference here, Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Thakur said on Wednesday that the Centre is extending the PMGKAY scheme to provide 5 kg of free foodgrain per month to 81 crore poor people for another five years, effective from January 1, 2024.

Cabinet clears Rs 11.8 lakh cr scheme for free foodgrain to poor

India sets up high-level probe panel on security concerns raised by US

India sets up high-level probe panel on security concerns raised by US
India has constituted a high-level inquiry committee to look into the security concerns raised by the US government, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Arindam Bagchi said on Wednesday. The Biden government had earlier said it had raised the issue of an alleged plot to kill Sikh separatist leader Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, who is considered a terrorist by the Indian government, in the US.

India sets up high-level probe panel on security concerns raised by US

Protest against demolition of 40 houses in Patna

Protest against demolition of 40 houses in Patna
The residents of Patna City are angry after the district administration demolished 40 houses for the Patna Metro project on Wednesday. As per the layout plan of Patna Metro, 76 acres of land at the Pahadi locality is earmarked for the project near ‘zero mile.’

Protest against demolition of 40 houses in Patna

Yogi, Akhilesh trade charges over dengue 'outbreak'

Yogi, Akhilesh trade charges over dengue 'outbreak'
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath said during the ongoing Assembly session on Wednesday that the dengue situation was under control in the state because of his government’s timely action. Leader of opposition Akhilesh Yadav countered the claim by asking that who was responsible for the deaths caused by the mosquito-borne disease.

Yogi, Akhilesh trade charges over dengue 'outbreak'

Gurugram Police arrest criminal carrying Rs 1 lakh reward

Gurugram Police arrest criminal carrying Rs 1 lakh reward
A team of Gurugram Police has arrested a wanted criminal carrying a reward of Rs 1 lakh at Amritsar airport in connection with the murder of a Gurugram-based property dealer, Vijay Batra a.k.a. Tantrik, an official said on Wednesday. The arrested individual has been identified as Karan a.k.a. Ali, a resident of Bas Mohalla Hathin in Palwal district.  

Gurugram Police arrest criminal carrying Rs 1 lakh reward

Female actors demand to drop Goa minister from Cabinet for 'insulting' women

Female actors demand to drop Goa minister from Cabinet for 'insulting' women
Alleging that Art and Culture Minister Govind Gaude has insulted women from the fields of art, culture and literature over the issue of conferring state awards, noted female actors in Goa have demanded to drop him from the Cabinet. Gaude invited the wrath of the people after the announcement of the names of the 12 recipients of the prestigious Goa State Cultural Awards, with all them being male.

Female actors demand to drop Goa minister from Cabinet for 'insulting' women