Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

Mamata Banerjee demands Bharat Ratna for Sunita Williams

Darpan News Desk IANS, 19 Mar, 2025 10:41 AM
  • Mamata Banerjee demands Bharat Ratna for Sunita Williams

Kolkata, March 19 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, on Wednesday, while giving her reactions on the successful return of Sunita Williams from space, claimed to have studied space science.

She also said that Williams should be conferred the Bharat Ratna award by the Union government.

While addressing the second round of the budget session of the Assembly on Wednesday, the Chief Minister also referred to the tragedy of the death of Kalpana Chawla, the first woman of Indian origin to fly to space, who died in the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster in February 2003.

“Kalpana Chawla too went to space. But she could not return. I have studied space science. There are cases where aeroplanes recover from technical glitches and return. I heard the spaceship through which Sunita Williams was travelling also developed some technical glitches. It could have turned into a fire mishap which had happened in the case of Kalpana Chawla. That is why they had to remain trapped in space for such a long time. I especially thank the rescue team for the successful return of Williams and her team members,” the Chief Minister said.

Speaking on the occasion, Mamata Banerjee said that since the origin of Williams is India, it is the duty of the Union government to facilitate her with the Bharat Ratna award. Claiming that she used to regularly enquire about the status of Williams and her team members while they were in space, the Chief Minister said a virtual tornado had been going on within her all these days.

Earlier, she also made a post on the wall of her X handle welcoming “Sunita Williams and Butch Wilmore back to earth, finally and safely, after so many days.”

MORE India ARTICLES

Uttarakhand tunnel collapse: Rescue team to begin vertical drilling

Uttarakhand tunnel collapse: Rescue team to begin vertical drilling
Fresh pictures that emerged from the site of the Silkyara tunnel collapse in Uttarakhand showed that the 41 labourers trapped inside were mostly safe, an official said on Tuesday, adding that those engaged in the rescue operations will now try to drill the tunnel vertically to create an evacuation passage. Thick pipes have been brought to the Silkyara Tunnel by helicopter from Odisha and a large vertical drilling machine has been brought to create the evacuation passage.

Uttarakhand tunnel collapse: Rescue team to begin vertical drilling

More expressways, corridors planned in UP

More expressways, corridors planned in UP
The Uttar Pradesh government will develop more industrial corridors along with the five new expressways across the state. A fund of Rs 7,000 crore has been allocated for the development of these corridors.  

More expressways, corridors planned in UP

40 boats gutted in fire at Visakhapatnam Fishing Harbour

40 boats gutted in fire at Visakhapatnam Fishing Harbour
A huge fire at the Visakhapatnam Fishing Harbour has destroyed over 40 boats. The incident happened late on Sunday night. The fire, which broke out in one of the boats around 11 p.m., spread to other boats. Fire engines rushed to the scene. The fire was controlled in the early hours of Monday.

40 boats gutted in fire at Visakhapatnam Fishing Harbour

Cylinder blast in Bihar kills one, injures 8

Cylinder blast in Bihar kills one, injures 8
A person was killed and eight others were injured when a cylinder exploded while filling balloons in Bihar's West Champaran district on Monday. The incident took place at Chhath Ghat at Pakadiya village under Chanpatia police station in the district.

Cylinder blast in Bihar kills one, injures 8

Lingayat mutt sex scandal: Arrest warrant against rape accused Murugha seer

Lingayat mutt sex scandal: Arrest warrant against rape accused Murugha seer
The Chitradurga Second Additional District and Sessions Court issued the order considering the submission by the public prosecutor, Jagadish. The rape accused seer was released on November 16 following the granting of conditional bail in the first POCSO case.  

Lingayat mutt sex scandal: Arrest warrant against rape accused Murugha seer

Two-day Punjab Assembly session on Nov 28-29

Two-day Punjab Assembly session on Nov 28-29
Punjab Cabinet led by Chief Minister Bhagwant Singh Mann on Monday approved summoning of the fifth session of 16th Vidhan Sabha on November 28-29. The decision was taken by the Council of Ministers at its meeting held under the chairmanship of the Chief Minister.

Two-day Punjab Assembly session on Nov 28-29