Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

Mamata Banerjee demands Bharat Ratna for Sunita Williams

Darpan News Desk IANS, 19 Mar, 2025 10:41 AM
  • Mamata Banerjee demands Bharat Ratna for Sunita Williams

Kolkata, March 19 (IANS) West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, on Wednesday, while giving her reactions on the successful return of Sunita Williams from space, claimed to have studied space science.

She also said that Williams should be conferred the Bharat Ratna award by the Union government.

While addressing the second round of the budget session of the Assembly on Wednesday, the Chief Minister also referred to the tragedy of the death of Kalpana Chawla, the first woman of Indian origin to fly to space, who died in the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster in February 2003.

“Kalpana Chawla too went to space. But she could not return. I have studied space science. There are cases where aeroplanes recover from technical glitches and return. I heard the spaceship through which Sunita Williams was travelling also developed some technical glitches. It could have turned into a fire mishap which had happened in the case of Kalpana Chawla. That is why they had to remain trapped in space for such a long time. I especially thank the rescue team for the successful return of Williams and her team members,” the Chief Minister said.

Speaking on the occasion, Mamata Banerjee said that since the origin of Williams is India, it is the duty of the Union government to facilitate her with the Bharat Ratna award. Claiming that she used to regularly enquire about the status of Williams and her team members while they were in space, the Chief Minister said a virtual tornado had been going on within her all these days.

Earlier, she also made a post on the wall of her X handle welcoming “Sunita Williams and Butch Wilmore back to earth, finally and safely, after so many days.”

MORE India ARTICLES

Punjab declares red alert to minimise stubble burning

Punjab declares red alert to minimise stubble burning
Punjab Special Director General of Police (Law and Order) Arpit Shukla on Wednesday said a red alert has been sounded in all districts and legal action would be initiated if anyone was found burning stubble. DGP Gaurav Yadav had appointed Shukla as the Police Nodal Officer to monitor action against stubble burning. 

Punjab declares red alert to minimise stubble burning

Gurugram Police unearth Rs 55.86cr cyber crime fraud; 53 held

Gurugram Police unearth Rs 55.86cr cyber crime fraud; 53 held
The Gurugram Police have unearthed cyber fraud of around Rs 55.86 crore in the month of October and arrested 53 people in this connection, the police said on Wednesday. According to the police, 469 cyber fraud cases were registered against 53 suspects across India of which around 22 cases were registered with the Gurugram police.  

Gurugram Police unearth Rs 55.86cr cyber crime fraud; 53 held

We have failed children of Palestine: Priyanka Gandhi on Children's Day

We have failed children of Palestine: Priyanka Gandhi on Children's Day
Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi, who has been critical of killings of the civilians and children in the Israel-Hamas war on the occasion of Children’s day again reiterated her demand to bring an end to the “horrendous violence” and said that we have “failed” the thousands of children that are being massacred in Palestine every moment. 

We have failed children of Palestine: Priyanka Gandhi on Children's Day

Tunnel collapse: Some trapped workers speak to their kin through pipe

Tunnel collapse: Some trapped workers speak to their kin through pipe
As rescue operations to save 40 labourers trapped in an under-construction tunnel in Uttarakhand's Uttarkashi district continued for the third day on Tuesday, the police facilitated their contact with their anxious kin through a pipe. Uttarkashi Police's CO Prashant Kumar, in a bid to bolster the trapped men's spirits, made arrangements for some of them to talk to their families through this mechanism.  

Tunnel collapse: Some trapped workers speak to their kin through pipe

Sahara Group founder Subrata Roy passes away at 75 after prolonged illness

Sahara Group founder Subrata Roy passes away at 75 after prolonged illness
'Saharasri' Subarata Roy, the founder of Sahara India Pariwar, breathed his last on Tuesday following a cardiac arrest after a prolonged illness. He was 75. Mourning the demise of Roy, the Sahara India Group said in a statement, "With profound sadness, the Sahara India Pariwar informs the demise of our ‘Saharasri’ Subrata Roy Sahara, Managing Worker and Chairman, Sahara India Pariwar.

Sahara Group founder Subrata Roy passes away at 75 after prolonged illness

13 people, including 10 kids, in Rajasthan lose eyesight due to firecracker accidents

13 people, including 10 kids, in Rajasthan lose eyesight due to firecracker accidents
A total of 13 people, including 10 children, across several cities of Rajasthan including Jaipur, Jhunjhunu, and Bharatpur lost sight in at least one eye while bursting firecrackers on Diwali, doctors said. This figure was reported after three days of surgery in the eye department of Sawai Mansingh (SMS) Hospital here, with the patients suffering damage to their cornea and retina.

13 people, including 10 kids, in Rajasthan lose eyesight due to firecracker accidents