Friday, August 21, 2026
ADVT 
India

Manipur: Mobile internet suspended for two more days in nine districts

Darpan News Desk IANS, 29 Nov, 2024 12:22 PM
  • Manipur: Mobile internet suspended for two more days in nine districts

Imphal, Nov 29 (IANS) The Manipur government as a preventative step on Friday extended the suspension of mobile internet and data services for two more days in nine districts including the trouble-torn Jiribam district, officials said.

Home Department officials said that though except for a person missing on November 25 from Kangpokpi district, no major incident was reported from any of the nine districts since November 18, the suspension of mobile internet and data services has been extended for two more days as a precautionary measure.

Commissioner, Home, N. Ashok Kumar, in his order, said: "In view of the prevailing law and order situation in the state, on the apprehension that some anti-social elements might use social media extensively for transmission of images, hate speech and hate video messages inciting the passions of the public which might have serious repercussions for the law and order situation."

"... as a preventive measure, the state government has imposed a temporary suspension of mobile internet and mobile data services," the order said.

In nine districts, the suspension of mobile internet and data services would be effective till 5.15 p.m. on December 1.

The nine districts, comprising both the valley and hills, where the suspension of mobile internet and data services were enforced are Imphal West, Imphal East, Bishnupur, Thoubal, Kakching, Kangpokpi, Churachandpur, Jiribam, and Pherzawl.

Following the widespread violence and attacks by mobs that started on November 16 in valley districts, including Imphal East and Imphal West, following the recovery of six bodies of missing three children and three women in Jiribam district on November 15 and 16, Chief Secretary Vineet Joshi ordered the suspension of mobile internet and data services in these districts for two days.

Since then the suspension of mobile internet and data services was extended periodically.

However, after two weeks of closure, regular classes in all educational institutions, including schools and universities in six districts, resumed on Friday.

The officials said that though attendance in the educational institutions on Friday was slightly low, it was expected to normalise in the coming days.

Thousands of students went to their respective institutions in a cheery mood.

Curfew restrictions also eased in violence-affected six districts -- Imphal West, Imphal East, Thoubal, Bishnupur, Kakching and Jiribam.

The curfew relaxations were done to facilitate the students to go to their educational institutions and to enable residents to buy essentials like food and medicines.

However, as per the District Magistrate's orders, any gathering or rally still needs prior approval from the competent authorities.

 

 

MORE India ARTICLES

There was no plan to stop PM's visit or obstruct his programme: SKM

There was no plan to stop PM's visit or obstruct his programme: SKM
On Wednesday, The Prime Minister's rally in Ferozepur had to be cancelled due to a security lapse after some protesters blocked a route and forced his convoy to spend about 20 minutes on a flyover. The Prime Minister was enroute the National Martyrs Memorial at Hussainiwala when the incident happened.

There was no plan to stop PM's visit or obstruct his programme: SKM

Punjab prepared to deal with Covid third wave: Official

Punjab prepared to deal with Covid third wave: Official
Although the department has all infrastructural needs in place to deal with the large number of cases expected in case of the third wave becoming a reality, he also appealed to the people to get themselves fully vaccinated against the virus as it is the most potent tool to avoid Covid-19.

Punjab prepared to deal with Covid third wave: Official

Punjab CM denies security lapse during Modi's visit

Punjab CM denies security lapse during Modi's visit
 Regretting that Prime Minister Narendra Modi had to cancel his scheduled visit to Ferozepur midway, Punjab Chief Minister Charanjit Singh Channi said on Wednesday that there was no security lapse that led to the cancellation of the Prime Ministers visit to the bordering town.

Punjab CM denies security lapse during Modi's visit

Impose Prez's rule in Pb: Amarinder after 'lapse' in PM's security

Impose Prez's rule in Pb: Amarinder after 'lapse' in PM's security
Holding the Punjab government squarely responsible for the "gross security lapse" during Prime Minister Narendra Modi's visit to Punjab, that eventually led to cancellation of all his programmes, former Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Wednesday demanded dismissal of the government and imposition of President's rule.

Impose Prez's rule in Pb: Amarinder after 'lapse' in PM's security

Punjab imposes statewide night curfew, closure of schools & colleges

Punjab imposes statewide night curfew, closure of schools & colleges
With the spike in Covid-19 cases, Punjab on Tuesday imposed statewide night curfew daily from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. and ordered closure of all educational institutions till January 15.

Punjab imposes statewide night curfew, closure of schools & colleges

Man sets wife, minor son on fire in Bihar's Supaul district

Man sets wife, minor son on fire in Bihar's Supaul district
The accused, identified as Ashish Kumar, tied his wife Ranjan Devi and son Vaibhav to the bed and set them on fire at his house in Mayurwa locality, which comes under the Triveniganj police station.

Man sets wife, minor son on fire in Bihar's Supaul district