Sunday, August 23, 2026
ADVT 
India

Manipur: Mobile internet suspended for two more days in nine districts

Darpan News Desk IANS, 29 Nov, 2024 12:22 PM
  • Manipur: Mobile internet suspended for two more days in nine districts

Imphal, Nov 29 (IANS) The Manipur government as a preventative step on Friday extended the suspension of mobile internet and data services for two more days in nine districts including the trouble-torn Jiribam district, officials said.

Home Department officials said that though except for a person missing on November 25 from Kangpokpi district, no major incident was reported from any of the nine districts since November 18, the suspension of mobile internet and data services has been extended for two more days as a precautionary measure.

Commissioner, Home, N. Ashok Kumar, in his order, said: "In view of the prevailing law and order situation in the state, on the apprehension that some anti-social elements might use social media extensively for transmission of images, hate speech and hate video messages inciting the passions of the public which might have serious repercussions for the law and order situation."

"... as a preventive measure, the state government has imposed a temporary suspension of mobile internet and mobile data services," the order said.

In nine districts, the suspension of mobile internet and data services would be effective till 5.15 p.m. on December 1.

The nine districts, comprising both the valley and hills, where the suspension of mobile internet and data services were enforced are Imphal West, Imphal East, Bishnupur, Thoubal, Kakching, Kangpokpi, Churachandpur, Jiribam, and Pherzawl.

Following the widespread violence and attacks by mobs that started on November 16 in valley districts, including Imphal East and Imphal West, following the recovery of six bodies of missing three children and three women in Jiribam district on November 15 and 16, Chief Secretary Vineet Joshi ordered the suspension of mobile internet and data services in these districts for two days.

Since then the suspension of mobile internet and data services was extended periodically.

However, after two weeks of closure, regular classes in all educational institutions, including schools and universities in six districts, resumed on Friday.

The officials said that though attendance in the educational institutions on Friday was slightly low, it was expected to normalise in the coming days.

Thousands of students went to their respective institutions in a cheery mood.

Curfew restrictions also eased in violence-affected six districts -- Imphal West, Imphal East, Thoubal, Bishnupur, Kakching and Jiribam.

The curfew relaxations were done to facilitate the students to go to their educational institutions and to enable residents to buy essentials like food and medicines.

However, as per the District Magistrate's orders, any gathering or rally still needs prior approval from the competent authorities.

 

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Punjab administers over 2 crore doses of vaccine

Punjab administers over 2 crore doses of vaccine
The Deputy Chief Minister, who is also holding the Health portfolio, said 2.16 lakh people got vaccinated on Tuesday. Ludhiana, Jalandhar, Amritsar, Hoshiarpur and Patiala were the top five districts in immunisation.

Punjab administers over 2 crore doses of vaccine

Lakhimpur Kheri violence: Ajay Mishra meets Amit Shah

Lakhimpur Kheri violence: Ajay Mishra meets Amit Shah
The meeting lasted over half an hour and it is understood that Mishra might have made his position clear in the Lakhimpur Kheri violence case. Earlier, he went to his office in the North Block and stayed there for a while.

Lakhimpur Kheri violence: Ajay Mishra meets Amit Shah

Rave party: NCP claims non-NCB personnel involved in ship raid

Rave party: NCP claims non-NCB personnel involved in ship raid
NCP national spokesperson and Maharashtra Minorities Affairs Minister Nawab Malik slammed the "fraud" NCB operations,in which BJP leader Manish Bhanushali and "private detective" Kiran P. Gosavi were seen dragging out the accused. including superstar Shah Rukh Khan's son Aryan Khan and Arbaaz Merchant.

Rave party: NCP claims non-NCB personnel involved in ship raid

Punjab Deputy CM condemns attack on Gurdwara in Kabul

Punjab Deputy CM condemns attack on Gurdwara in Kabul
In a statement here, he said the worst has started coming true as the Taliban have started showing their true colours by way of complete intolerance towards the minorities leading to their intimidation and destruction of their religious places.

Punjab Deputy CM condemns attack on Gurdwara in Kabul

Rahul, Priyanka meet bereaved families in Lakhimpur Kheri

Rahul, Priyanka meet bereaved families in Lakhimpur Kheri
Rahul Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi and other leaders met the family of deceased farmer Lovepreet at the Chaukhada farm in Palia at around 9 p.m. on Wednesday. They later met the family of journalist Raman Kashyap, who was also killed in violence.

Rahul, Priyanka meet bereaved families in Lakhimpur Kheri

Lakhimpur Kheri violence: SC takes suo moto cognizance, to hear case on Thursday

Lakhimpur Kheri violence: SC takes suo moto cognizance, to hear case on Thursday
9 persons, including four farmers, were killed in the violence that had erupted during a farmers' protest in Lakhimpur Kheri. A bench headed by Chief Justice N.V. Ramana and comprising justices Surya Kant and Hima Kohli will hear the matter on Thursday. The matter has been listed as 'violence in Lakhimpur Kheri (UP) leading to loss of life'.

Lakhimpur Kheri violence: SC takes suo moto cognizance, to hear case on Thursday