Sunday, August 23, 2026
ADVT 
India

Manipur: Mobile internet suspended for two more days in nine districts

Darpan News Desk IANS, 29 Nov, 2024 12:22 PM
  • Manipur: Mobile internet suspended for two more days in nine districts

Imphal, Nov 29 (IANS) The Manipur government as a preventative step on Friday extended the suspension of mobile internet and data services for two more days in nine districts including the trouble-torn Jiribam district, officials said.

Home Department officials said that though except for a person missing on November 25 from Kangpokpi district, no major incident was reported from any of the nine districts since November 18, the suspension of mobile internet and data services has been extended for two more days as a precautionary measure.

Commissioner, Home, N. Ashok Kumar, in his order, said: "In view of the prevailing law and order situation in the state, on the apprehension that some anti-social elements might use social media extensively for transmission of images, hate speech and hate video messages inciting the passions of the public which might have serious repercussions for the law and order situation."

"... as a preventive measure, the state government has imposed a temporary suspension of mobile internet and mobile data services," the order said.

In nine districts, the suspension of mobile internet and data services would be effective till 5.15 p.m. on December 1.

The nine districts, comprising both the valley and hills, where the suspension of mobile internet and data services were enforced are Imphal West, Imphal East, Bishnupur, Thoubal, Kakching, Kangpokpi, Churachandpur, Jiribam, and Pherzawl.

Following the widespread violence and attacks by mobs that started on November 16 in valley districts, including Imphal East and Imphal West, following the recovery of six bodies of missing three children and three women in Jiribam district on November 15 and 16, Chief Secretary Vineet Joshi ordered the suspension of mobile internet and data services in these districts for two days.

Since then the suspension of mobile internet and data services was extended periodically.

However, after two weeks of closure, regular classes in all educational institutions, including schools and universities in six districts, resumed on Friday.

The officials said that though attendance in the educational institutions on Friday was slightly low, it was expected to normalise in the coming days.

Thousands of students went to their respective institutions in a cheery mood.

Curfew restrictions also eased in violence-affected six districts -- Imphal West, Imphal East, Thoubal, Bishnupur, Kakching and Jiribam.

The curfew relaxations were done to facilitate the students to go to their educational institutions and to enable residents to buy essentials like food and medicines.

However, as per the District Magistrate's orders, any gathering or rally still needs prior approval from the competent authorities.

 

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Amarinder calls on Shah, discusses 'farm issues'

Amarinder calls on Shah, discusses 'farm issues'
On Tuesday, IANS had first ran the story -- "'Upset' Amarinder likely to meet Shah, his office denies". Since then, speculation was doing the rounds about a likely meeting between the two leaders. However, Singh's media advisor Raveen Thukral had then denied the former meeting Shah and BJP chief J.P. Nadda, saying he's on a personal visit to Delhi to meet 'some friends'.

Amarinder calls on Shah, discusses 'farm issues'

Woman alleges minor children abducted by ex-husband from US, SC seeks govt response

Woman alleges minor children abducted by ex-husband from US, SC seeks govt response
The petitioner contended that her daughter is a permanent resident of the US, while her son holds an American passport. Jauhar argued that children have been taken to an "undisclosed destination", as they are neither in Chennai nor at Tamil Nadu's Virudhnagar, and that his client suspects they have been taken to Maharashtra.

Woman alleges minor children abducted by ex-husband from US, SC seeks govt response

Forty-year-old farmer from Singhu border missing since Sep 2

Forty-year-old farmer from Singhu border missing since Sep 2
After failing to get any information about Gurdeep's whereabouts since he left Delhi a week ago, his uncle Shamsher Singh, who is also at Singhu, lodged the missing complaint at Kundli police station which falls under Sonepat district of Haryana and is very near the farmers' protest site.

Forty-year-old farmer from Singhu border missing since Sep 2

Punjab woman minister resigns in 'solidarity' with Sidhu

Punjab woman minister resigns in 'solidarity' with Sidhu
Her resignation came hours after she was given water supply and sanitation, social security, women and child development, printing, and stationery departments in the new Cabinet led by Chief Minister Charanjit Singh Channi.

Punjab woman minister resigns in 'solidarity' with Sidhu

Bagga threatens legal action against Swamy for Twitter remark

Bagga threatens legal action against Swamy for Twitter remark
There is a Twitter war going on between senior BJP Rajya Sabha MP Subramanian Swamy and Tajinder Pal Singh Bagga, the national secretary of the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha (BJYM) with allegations and counter allegations flying thick and fast against each other. 

Bagga threatens legal action against Swamy for Twitter remark

Sidhu once again exhibited 'shifty' character: Amarinder (Ld)

Sidhu once again exhibited 'shifty' character: Amarinder (Ld)
Terming Sidhu's resignation as sheer drama, Amarinder Singh said the move suggests that his former Cabinet colleague is preparing the ground to quit the Congress and join hands with some other party in the run-up to the Assembly polls scheduled next year.

Sidhu once again exhibited 'shifty' character: Amarinder (Ld)