Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Massive NIA crackdown: 17 Punjab locations raided over Babbar Khalsa arms plot

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 May, 2025 10:59 AM
  • Massive NIA crackdown: 17 Punjab locations raided over Babbar Khalsa arms plot

New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) In a major development, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) conducted extensive searches across Punjab in connection with a terror conspiracy involving Babbar Khalsa International (BKI) operatives. The raids targeted premises linked to gangster Harpreet Singh alias Happy Passian, a close associate of Pakistan-based Khalistani terrorist Harwinder Singh alias Rinda.

A total of 17 locations were searched across Gurdaspur, Batala, Ferozepur, Fazilka, Tarn Taran, Amritsar, and Faridkot. According to officials, the operation led to the recovery of several incriminating materials, including mobile phones, digital storage devices, and documents. These are currently under examination by investigators.

The searches were conducted under a case in which Happy Passian is a key accused. Now based in the United States, Passian is considered one of the main conspirators behind recent grenade attacks on police stations and posts in Punjab and Haryana. He has been declared a proclaimed offender in the ongoing investigation.

The NIA alleges that Passian is a vital link in Rinda’s cross-border terror network, which operates through international associates, including those in Pakistan. Investigators believe he has been actively recruiting operatives within India and arranging weapons, explosives, and financial support for BKI’s terror activities.

The case was registered suo motu by the NIA under the directives of the Ministry of Home Affairs. So far, five individuals have been arrested, and three have been chargesheeted under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. Another 12 have been arraigned as accused, including Rinda, Lakhbir Singh alias Landa, and Passian himself. A total of seven accused, including the three, have been declared proclaimed offenders.

The anti-terror agency continues to probe the wider conspiracy and is analysing evidence gathered during Thursday’s raids to identify more suspects and uncover the full extent of the terror network’s operations.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

3 back to back earthquakes rock Ladakh & J&K

3 back to back earthquakes rock Ladakh & J&K
Three back to back earthquakes rocked the Union Territories of Ladakh and J&K on Monday, while no report of casualty or damage to property has been received so far. A Met Department statement said that the first earthquake measuring 5.5 on the Richter scale occurred at 3.48 p.m. in Ladakh region with the epicentre in Kargil district. A second earthquake measuring 3.8 on Richter scale again occurred in Ladakh region at 4.01 p.m.

3 back to back earthquakes rock Ladakh & J&K

Odisha Police seizes drugs valued at RS 66 lakhs, two held

Odisha Police seizes drugs valued at RS 66 lakhs, two held
The Special Crime Unit (SCU) of Commissionerate Police has arrested two drug peddlers and seized drugs valued at around Rs 66 lakhs from CRP Square area in Bhubaneswar, Odisha on Sunday, Police Commissioner Saumendra Priyadarshi said. Priyadarshi said that the illegal trade in drugs usually increases manifold every year during this period in view of the parties for New Year celebrations and various other occasions.  

Odisha Police seizes drugs valued at RS 66 lakhs, two held

Four arrested for insurance policy fraud, duping 60 people in Gurugram

Four arrested for insurance policy fraud, duping 60 people in Gurugram
The Gurugram Cyber Crime Police said on Monday that they have busted a fake insurance policy racket and arrested four persons who duped at least 60 people. Police said that the suspects used to call victims posed as insurance company officials and duped people in the name of solving their insurance policy problem.

Four arrested for insurance policy fraud, duping 60 people in Gurugram

Varanasi may get another Vande Bharat train during PM Modi's visit

Varanasi may get another Vande Bharat train during PM Modi's visit
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is expected to announce the launch of another Vande Bharat train between Varanasi and Delhi, during his visit to his parliamentary constituency on December 17-18. The first Vande Bharat train was launched from Varanasi in 2019.

Varanasi may get another Vande Bharat train during PM Modi's visit

Gold smuggling into India through Indo-Myanmar border: ED searches 7 locations in Punjab

Gold smuggling into India through Indo-Myanmar border: ED searches 7 locations in Punjab
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Thursday said that it carried out searches at seven locations on December 12 in Punjab’s Patiala city in connection with a gold smuggling operation. The ED said that the case is based on a criminal complaint filed by the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI), under provisions of the Customs Act, 1962 against Lucky Satija, Surinder Kumar, Manjodh Singh Cheema and others for smuggling gold from foreign nations into India.  

Gold smuggling into India through Indo-Myanmar border: ED searches 7 locations in Punjab

Eight years after sacrilege, Sukhbir Badal apologises for failing to arrest culprits

Eight years after sacrilege, Sukhbir Badal apologises for failing to arrest culprits
Eight years after the sacrilege of Guru Granth Sahib during the helm of the Shiromani Akali Dal-BJP government in Punjab, Akali Dal President Sukhbir Badal on Thursday unconditionally sought forgiveness of the Khalsa Panth (community) for failing to arrest the culprits. Speaking at the 103rd foundation day of the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) with folded hands, Badal expressed his regrets.

Eight years after sacrilege, Sukhbir Badal apologises for failing to arrest culprits