Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Massive NIA crackdown: 17 Punjab locations raided over Babbar Khalsa arms plot

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 May, 2025 10:59 AM
  • Massive NIA crackdown: 17 Punjab locations raided over Babbar Khalsa arms plot

New Delhi, May 2 (IANS) In a major development, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) conducted extensive searches across Punjab in connection with a terror conspiracy involving Babbar Khalsa International (BKI) operatives. The raids targeted premises linked to gangster Harpreet Singh alias Happy Passian, a close associate of Pakistan-based Khalistani terrorist Harwinder Singh alias Rinda.

A total of 17 locations were searched across Gurdaspur, Batala, Ferozepur, Fazilka, Tarn Taran, Amritsar, and Faridkot. According to officials, the operation led to the recovery of several incriminating materials, including mobile phones, digital storage devices, and documents. These are currently under examination by investigators.

The searches were conducted under a case in which Happy Passian is a key accused. Now based in the United States, Passian is considered one of the main conspirators behind recent grenade attacks on police stations and posts in Punjab and Haryana. He has been declared a proclaimed offender in the ongoing investigation.

The NIA alleges that Passian is a vital link in Rinda’s cross-border terror network, which operates through international associates, including those in Pakistan. Investigators believe he has been actively recruiting operatives within India and arranging weapons, explosives, and financial support for BKI’s terror activities.

The case was registered suo motu by the NIA under the directives of the Ministry of Home Affairs. So far, five individuals have been arrested, and three have been chargesheeted under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. Another 12 have been arraigned as accused, including Rinda, Lakhbir Singh alias Landa, and Passian himself. A total of seven accused, including the three, have been declared proclaimed offenders.

The anti-terror agency continues to probe the wider conspiracy and is analysing evidence gathered during Thursday’s raids to identify more suspects and uncover the full extent of the terror network’s operations.

Picture Courtesy: IANS

MORE India ARTICLES

Increase in BSF's jurisdiction does not take away powers of Punjab Police, says SC

Increase in BSF's jurisdiction does not take away powers of Punjab Police, says SC
A bench, headed by CJI D.Y. Chandrachud and comprising Justices J.B. Pardiwala and Manoj Misra, was hearing an original suit filed by the Punjab government under Article 131 of the Constitution against the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) notification issued in October 2021.  

Increase in BSF's jurisdiction does not take away powers of Punjab Police, says SC

‘Maximum global talk, minimum local walk’ is principle followed by PM Modi: Congress

‘Maximum global talk, minimum local walk’ is principle followed by PM Modi: Congress
The Congress on Friday hit out at Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who told the COP 28 meeting in Dubai that India has "struck a great balance between ecology and economy", saying this was "yet another of his trademark falsehoods". 

‘Maximum global talk, minimum local walk’ is principle followed by PM Modi: Congress

Forest scam: ED searches premises of former minister in Punjab

Forest scam: ED searches premises of former minister in Punjab
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Thursday carried out searches at multiple locations in Punjab, including the premises of former Congress Minister Sadhu Singh Dharamsot, in connection with the alleged forest scam. An ED source said that the agency teams are searching the premises of Dharamsot and a contractor.  

Forest scam: ED searches premises of former minister in Punjab

Matter of concern, contrary to govt's policy: India reacts to US in SFJ's Pannun case

Matter of concern, contrary to govt's policy: India reacts to US in SFJ's Pannun case
The remarks from the MEA came after the US prosecutors on Wednesday announced murder-for-hire charges against Indian national Nikhil Gupta for involvement in a foiled plot to assassinate a US citizen allegedly on behalf of an Indian government employee. Gupta was arrested by Czech authorities on June 30 in response to a request by the US under an extradition treaty, according to a statement issued by the office of the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York Damian Williams.  

Matter of concern, contrary to govt's policy: India reacts to US in SFJ's Pannun case

100 CCTV footage helps Delhi Police nab man in hit-&-run case

100 CCTV footage helps Delhi Police nab man in hit-&-run case
A 27-year-old man died and another was injured after they were hit by a car in Delhi, an official said on Thursday, adding that they have arrested the accused after scanning over 100 CCTV cameras installed in the vicinity of the scene of crime. The deceased was identified as Karan Gupta, a resident of Vishnu Garden. The injured was identified as Omkar Patle, a resident of Raghuveer Nagar and was undergoing treatment at a hospital.

100 CCTV footage helps Delhi Police nab man in hit-&-run case

Foreign-based gangster's operative arrested in Punjab

Foreign-based gangster's operative arrested in Punjab
The accused had also put kerosene on the bodies and faces of both deceased women before setting them ablaze. Police teams have also recovered two pistols along with two magazines and 10 cartridges from their possession.

Foreign-based gangster's operative arrested in Punjab