Sunday, May 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

Darpan News Desk IANS, 30 Jun, 2025 12:28 PM
  • Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar made the case on Monday that Operation Sindoor was authorised under the Security Council statement demanding action against those who carried out the Pahalgam massacre. 

The Council statement on April 25 "demanded that its perpetrators be held accountable and brought to justice", Jaishankar said. "We have since seen that happen."

Operation Sindoor took out the terrorist site and leaders hosted by Pakistan who were behind terrorist attacks, before Islamabad decided to escalate it.

"What that response underlines is of larger significance, the message of zero tolerance for terrorism," he said.

Jaishankar was speaking at the inauguration of the exhibition, The Human Cost of Terrorism, at the UN.

The interactive digital exhibition comes a day ahead of Pakistan becoming the president of the Council for the month of July and will be the first thing top diplomats coming into the UN building will see.

It portrays 40 years of terrorism from the 1985 downing of Air India flight by Canada-based terrorists to the Pahalgam killings by The Resistance Front, an affiliate of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba.

The 29 incidents on display take a panoramic view of the horrors across continents, from the 9/11 attack on the US and the London bombings in 2005 to the 2003 Baghdad attacks, the 2002 Bali attack and the Crocus City Hall killings last year in Moscow.

Jaishankar did not directly mention Operation Sindoor or Pakistan, but the reference to the Council statement made clear what he was referring to.

The statement said: "The members of the Security Council underlined the need to hold perpetrators, organisers, financiers, and sponsors of this reprehensible act of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice."

It added that the Council "members stressed that those responsible for these killings should be held accountable, and urged all states, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard".

Pakistan, an elected member of the Council, signed on to the statement that was issued unanimously because of the pressure from the other members.

Explaining the rationale for the exhibition, Jaishankar said that terrorism is the antithesis of what the UN stands for and when terrorism is supported by a state against its neighbour, and when "the bigotry of extremism drives a whole host of illegal activities, it is imperative to call it out".

"One way of doing so is to display the havoc it has wreaked on the global society", he said.

"Today's exhibition is not merely a presentation of images, videos and histories, it is a statement of our shared responsibilities" to fight terrorism, he added.

India’s Permanent Representative P Harish said the exhibition "is a statement of our shared humanity to the gallery of human courage, each moment, each memory, each artefact and every word tells the story of ... ordinary men and women".

Picture Courtesy: IANS 

MORE India ARTICLES

Delhi court issues notice to ED on Sisodia's plea to withdraw money from bank

Delhi court issues notice to ED on Sisodia's plea to withdraw money from bank
A Delhi court on Monday issued notice to the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on former Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia's plea seeking permission to withdraw money from a bank account for medical expenses for his wife and other household expenses. Special Judge M.K. Nagpal of Rouse Avenue Court issued a notice to the probe agency, and listed the application for hearing on August 4. 

Delhi court issues notice to ED on Sisodia's plea to withdraw money from bank

ED attaches assets worth Rs 6.02cr belonging to Lalu Prasad's family members

ED attaches assets worth Rs 6.02cr belonging to Lalu Prasad's family members
An official said that the attached properties belong to Rabri Devi -- wife of Lalu Prasad; Misa Bharti -- daughter of Lalu Prasad; Vineet Yadav -- husband of Hema Yadav (Lalu Prasad's daughter); Shiv Kumar Yadav -- father-in-law of Hema Yadav; AB Exports Pvt Ltd and AK Infosystem Pvt Ltd -- both companies owned and controlled by family members of Lalu Prasad.   

ED attaches assets worth Rs 6.02cr belonging to Lalu Prasad's family members

PM Modi urges G20 for Int'l legally binding document to end plastic pollution

PM Modi urges G20 for Int'l legally binding document to end plastic pollution
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday called upon the G20 to work on an international legally binding document to end plastic pollution. He also highlighted responsible management of oceanic resources.

PM Modi urges G20 for Int'l legally binding document to end plastic pollution

Punjab Police arrest three members of Gopi gang

Punjab Police arrest three members of Gopi gang
In a major breakthrough, Anti-Gangster Task Force (AGTF) of Punjab Police have cracked the murder of Santokh Singh in Moga town with the arrest of three members of the Gopi Dallewalia gang. Gopi is a proclaimed offender with more than 12 criminal cases registered against him.

Punjab Police arrest three members of Gopi gang

Paris-bound Air India flight returns to Delhi amidst tyre debris scare

Paris-bound Air India flight returns to Delhi amidst tyre debris scare
The flight crew was promptly informed about the situation by the Delhi Air Traffic Control (ATC) soon after the departure of the flight at 1.22 p.m. The flight had 220 people on board.  

Paris-bound Air India flight returns to Delhi amidst tyre debris scare

No interference in religious affairs will be tolerated, Sukhbir tells Punjab CM

No interference in religious affairs will be tolerated, Sukhbir tells Punjab CM
Shiromani Akali Dal President Sukhbir Badal on Friday said that no interference in the religious affairs of the Sikhs would be tolerated and the Khalsa Panth will give a befitting response to Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann’s brazen attempts to usurp control of sacred Sikh institutions through the backdoor.  

No interference in religious affairs will be tolerated, Sukhbir tells Punjab CM