Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

Darpan News Desk IANS, 30 Jun, 2025 12:28 PM
  • Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar made the case on Monday that Operation Sindoor was authorised under the Security Council statement demanding action against those who carried out the Pahalgam massacre. 

The Council statement on April 25 "demanded that its perpetrators be held accountable and brought to justice", Jaishankar said. "We have since seen that happen."

Operation Sindoor took out the terrorist site and leaders hosted by Pakistan who were behind terrorist attacks, before Islamabad decided to escalate it.

"What that response underlines is of larger significance, the message of zero tolerance for terrorism," he said.

Jaishankar was speaking at the inauguration of the exhibition, The Human Cost of Terrorism, at the UN.

The interactive digital exhibition comes a day ahead of Pakistan becoming the president of the Council for the month of July and will be the first thing top diplomats coming into the UN building will see.

It portrays 40 years of terrorism from the 1985 downing of Air India flight by Canada-based terrorists to the Pahalgam killings by The Resistance Front, an affiliate of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba.

The 29 incidents on display take a panoramic view of the horrors across continents, from the 9/11 attack on the US and the London bombings in 2005 to the 2003 Baghdad attacks, the 2002 Bali attack and the Crocus City Hall killings last year in Moscow.

Jaishankar did not directly mention Operation Sindoor or Pakistan, but the reference to the Council statement made clear what he was referring to.

The statement said: "The members of the Security Council underlined the need to hold perpetrators, organisers, financiers, and sponsors of this reprehensible act of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice."

It added that the Council "members stressed that those responsible for these killings should be held accountable, and urged all states, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard".

Pakistan, an elected member of the Council, signed on to the statement that was issued unanimously because of the pressure from the other members.

Explaining the rationale for the exhibition, Jaishankar said that terrorism is the antithesis of what the UN stands for and when terrorism is supported by a state against its neighbour, and when "the bigotry of extremism drives a whole host of illegal activities, it is imperative to call it out".

"One way of doing so is to display the havoc it has wreaked on the global society", he said.

"Today's exhibition is not merely a presentation of images, videos and histories, it is a statement of our shared responsibilities" to fight terrorism, he added.

India’s Permanent Representative P Harish said the exhibition "is a statement of our shared humanity to the gallery of human courage, each moment, each memory, each artefact and every word tells the story of ... ordinary men and women".

Picture Courtesy: IANS 

MORE India ARTICLES

Punjabi Bagh building collapse: Kejriwal govt announces Rs 20 lakh financial aid for victims’ family

Punjabi Bagh building collapse: Kejriwal govt announces Rs 20 lakh financial aid for victims’ family
Delhi Minister Atishi on Tuesday visited the Punjabi Bagh’s Arihant Nagar where two members of the caretaker’s family lost their lives. The Revenue Minister announced that the Delhi government will provide Rs 20 lakh as financial aid to the affected family.

Punjabi Bagh building collapse: Kejriwal govt announces Rs 20 lakh financial aid for victims’ family

‘Summoning special session patently illegal,’ Punjab Gov informs CM

‘Summoning special session patently illegal,’ Punjab Gov informs CM
The governor’s letter was in response to the Chief Minister’s assertion two days back that it is “very unfortunate” that the Governor “does not know whether the June 19-20 session was legal or illegal”. The Governor also warned the AAP government that he has been receiving complaints of corruption.  

‘Summoning special session patently illegal,’ Punjab Gov informs CM

3 Punjab museums to be closed for visitors till July 31 for maintenance work

3 Punjab museums to be closed for visitors till July 31 for maintenance work
The museums in Punjab -- Virasat-e-Khalsa in Anandpur Sahib, Dastan-e-Shahadat in Chamkaur Sahib, and the Golden Temple Plaza in Amritsar, under the Department of Tourism and Cultural Affairs -- will be closed for visitors till July 31 for half-yearly maintenance work.

3 Punjab museums to be closed for visitors till July 31 for maintenance work

Delhi’s infrastructure woes: Rs 1100 crore squandered amidst looming crisis

Delhi’s infrastructure woes: Rs 1100 crore squandered amidst looming crisis
Supreme Court’s latest remarks questioning the skewed priorities of the Delhi government have shed light on the mismanagement of funds and raised concerns over the condition of roads, garbage disposal, and infrastructure development in the national capital. The Delhi Government allocated Rs 65,000 crore in 2020-21; Rs 69,000 crore in 2021-22; and a staggering Rs 75,800 crore for 2022-23.

Delhi’s infrastructure woes: Rs 1100 crore squandered amidst looming crisis

Light of Life: Uplifting the Lives of underprivileged children  

Light of Life: Uplifting the Lives of underprivileged children  
Started in 2002 by Villy Doctor, this organization was founded to break the generational cycle of poverty – one life at a time. Since then, Villy has dedicated herself to transforming the lives of underprivileged rural communities, particularly women and children, empowering them to live with dignity and self-respect.   

Light of Life: Uplifting the Lives of underprivileged children  

Women paraded naked : Manipur court sends 4 accused to 11 days police custody

Women paraded naked : Manipur court sends 4 accused to 11 days police custody
A local court in Manipur’s Thoubal district on Friday sent the four accused arrested in connection with the parading of two naked women in Kangpokpi district on May 4, to police custody for 11 days to facilitate the police investigate the horrendous crime. 

Women paraded naked : Manipur court sends 4 accused to 11 days police custody