Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

Darpan News Desk IANS, 30 Jun, 2025 12:28 PM
  • Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar made the case on Monday that Operation Sindoor was authorised under the Security Council statement demanding action against those who carried out the Pahalgam massacre. 

The Council statement on April 25 "demanded that its perpetrators be held accountable and brought to justice", Jaishankar said. "We have since seen that happen."

Operation Sindoor took out the terrorist site and leaders hosted by Pakistan who were behind terrorist attacks, before Islamabad decided to escalate it.

"What that response underlines is of larger significance, the message of zero tolerance for terrorism," he said.

Jaishankar was speaking at the inauguration of the exhibition, The Human Cost of Terrorism, at the UN.

The interactive digital exhibition comes a day ahead of Pakistan becoming the president of the Council for the month of July and will be the first thing top diplomats coming into the UN building will see.

It portrays 40 years of terrorism from the 1985 downing of Air India flight by Canada-based terrorists to the Pahalgam killings by The Resistance Front, an affiliate of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba.

The 29 incidents on display take a panoramic view of the horrors across continents, from the 9/11 attack on the US and the London bombings in 2005 to the 2003 Baghdad attacks, the 2002 Bali attack and the Crocus City Hall killings last year in Moscow.

Jaishankar did not directly mention Operation Sindoor or Pakistan, but the reference to the Council statement made clear what he was referring to.

The statement said: "The members of the Security Council underlined the need to hold perpetrators, organisers, financiers, and sponsors of this reprehensible act of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice."

It added that the Council "members stressed that those responsible for these killings should be held accountable, and urged all states, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard".

Pakistan, an elected member of the Council, signed on to the statement that was issued unanimously because of the pressure from the other members.

Explaining the rationale for the exhibition, Jaishankar said that terrorism is the antithesis of what the UN stands for and when terrorism is supported by a state against its neighbour, and when "the bigotry of extremism drives a whole host of illegal activities, it is imperative to call it out".

"One way of doing so is to display the havoc it has wreaked on the global society", he said.

"Today's exhibition is not merely a presentation of images, videos and histories, it is a statement of our shared responsibilities" to fight terrorism, he added.

India’s Permanent Representative P Harish said the exhibition "is a statement of our shared humanity to the gallery of human courage, each moment, each memory, each artefact and every word tells the story of ... ordinary men and women".

Picture Courtesy: IANS 

MORE India ARTICLES

Heavy rains in Himachal responsible for Punjab floods: Minister

Heavy rains in Himachal responsible for Punjab floods: Minister
Attributing heavy rains in Himachal Pradesh for floods in Punjab, state Water Resources Minister Gurmeet Singh Meet Hayer on Thursday held a review meeting with officials of the department to take stock of the flood situation in several districts and directed them to speed up the ongoing rescue and relief work.

Heavy rains in Himachal responsible for Punjab floods: Minister

Four accused held in Manipur women parade case, CM says will seek capital punishment

Four accused held in Manipur women parade case, CM says will seek capital punishment
Chief Minister N. Biren Singh, who had earlier said two more accused had been arrested, announced that maximum punishment would be accorded to the perpetrators. The CM, who also holds the home portfolio, said that interrogation of the two arrested persons is being conducted by the senior police officials and at this juncture, he would not be able to disclose the details.

Four accused held in Manipur women parade case, CM says will seek capital punishment

Punjab Police arrest Bishnoi gang member for making threat calls

Punjab Police arrest Bishnoi gang member for making threat calls
The arrested accused was identified as Kashmir Singh, alias Bobby Shooter (24), a resident of Patiala, who was working as a taxi driver. The police teams have also recovered a country-made pistol along with two cartridges with him.

Punjab Police arrest Bishnoi gang member for making threat calls

Punjab Police seize 13.7 lakh pharma opioids capsules, tablets

Punjab Police seize 13.7 lakh pharma opioids capsules, tablets
Punjab Director General of Police Gaurav Yadav on Wednesday said that it has busted one of biggest pharma opioids consignments by arresting two people and recovered 13.7 lakh capsules and tablets from their possession. The seizure by the Barnala police included tramadol capsules.  

Punjab Police seize 13.7 lakh pharma opioids capsules, tablets

Gurugram: Police seize 359 kg marijuana; 1 arrested

Gurugram: Police seize 359 kg marijuana; 1 arrested
The accused has been identified as Shabbir Khan (36), a resident of Nuh. The police also seized 359 kg of fine quality marijuana (ganja) from inside a truck. Based on the tip-off, the police reached the designated spot and apprehended the driver of a truck along and seized the large consignment of marijuana hidden inside it.  

Gurugram: Police seize 359 kg marijuana; 1 arrested

Delhi court directs officials to provide copy of CCTV clip to Sisodia on manhandling claim

Delhi court directs officials to provide copy of CCTV clip to Sisodia on manhandling claim
The lockup in-charge at Rouse Avenue Courts was also directed to promptly report any violation of these instructions to the court. During the hearing, the judge had informed the defence counsel that hybrid hearings are permissible and, with consent, the court could issue directions for Sisodia's appearance via video conference to prevent a recurrence of such incidents and ensure his safety.

Delhi court directs officials to provide copy of CCTV clip to Sisodia on manhandling claim