Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
India

Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

Darpan News Desk IANS, 30 Jun, 2025 12:28 PM
  • Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar made the case on Monday that Operation Sindoor was authorised under the Security Council statement demanding action against those who carried out the Pahalgam massacre. 

The Council statement on April 25 "demanded that its perpetrators be held accountable and brought to justice", Jaishankar said. "We have since seen that happen."

Operation Sindoor took out the terrorist site and leaders hosted by Pakistan who were behind terrorist attacks, before Islamabad decided to escalate it.

"What that response underlines is of larger significance, the message of zero tolerance for terrorism," he said.

Jaishankar was speaking at the inauguration of the exhibition, The Human Cost of Terrorism, at the UN.

The interactive digital exhibition comes a day ahead of Pakistan becoming the president of the Council for the month of July and will be the first thing top diplomats coming into the UN building will see.

It portrays 40 years of terrorism from the 1985 downing of Air India flight by Canada-based terrorists to the Pahalgam killings by The Resistance Front, an affiliate of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba.

The 29 incidents on display take a panoramic view of the horrors across continents, from the 9/11 attack on the US and the London bombings in 2005 to the 2003 Baghdad attacks, the 2002 Bali attack and the Crocus City Hall killings last year in Moscow.

Jaishankar did not directly mention Operation Sindoor or Pakistan, but the reference to the Council statement made clear what he was referring to.

The statement said: "The members of the Security Council underlined the need to hold perpetrators, organisers, financiers, and sponsors of this reprehensible act of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice."

It added that the Council "members stressed that those responsible for these killings should be held accountable, and urged all states, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard".

Pakistan, an elected member of the Council, signed on to the statement that was issued unanimously because of the pressure from the other members.

Explaining the rationale for the exhibition, Jaishankar said that terrorism is the antithesis of what the UN stands for and when terrorism is supported by a state against its neighbour, and when "the bigotry of extremism drives a whole host of illegal activities, it is imperative to call it out".

"One way of doing so is to display the havoc it has wreaked on the global society", he said.

"Today's exhibition is not merely a presentation of images, videos and histories, it is a statement of our shared responsibilities" to fight terrorism, he added.

India’s Permanent Representative P Harish said the exhibition "is a statement of our shared humanity to the gallery of human courage, each moment, each memory, each artefact and every word tells the story of ... ordinary men and women".

Picture Courtesy: IANS 

MORE India ARTICLES

Delhi Police file FIR against man over call warning hijack of Air India flight

Delhi Police file FIR against man over call warning hijack of Air India flight
The Delhi Police on Sunday lodged an FIR against a man who made a call to the Air India call centre in Pune related to the "hijacking of Delhi-Tel Aviv flight". The call was made on July 13. The caller -- Anurag, a resident of Assam, claimed that he overheard that the flight was hijacked.

Delhi Police file FIR against man over call warning hijack of Air India flight

Traffic restored at some parts in Delhi as Yamuna flood waters recede

Traffic restored at some parts in Delhi as Yamuna flood waters recede
The Delhi Traffic Police on Monday said that several roads in the national capital, which were previously closed due to the overflow of the Yamuna River, have now been reopened. As flood waters are receding, normal traffic movement has been restored, bringing relief to commuters and residents in affected areas.

Traffic restored at some parts in Delhi as Yamuna flood waters recede

Pakistani supplier provided weapons to kill Moosewala, say NIA sources

Pakistani supplier provided weapons to kill Moosewala, say NIA sources
The Pakistani supplier has been identified as Hamid who currently lives in Dubai. The name came to the fore during the interrogation of a man, named Shahbaz Ansari, who was arrested by NIA in 2022. Moosewala, 29, was shot dead by gangsters close to his ancestral village in Mansa in broad daylight on May 29, 2022 in less than 24 hours after his security was curtailed by the Punjab government. 

Pakistani supplier provided weapons to kill Moosewala, say NIA sources

‘Opposition in Punjab dead’, says Akali Dal on Congress backing AAP

‘Opposition in Punjab dead’, says Akali Dal on Congress backing AAP
Saying the official Opposition in Punjab is dead, Shiromani Akali Dal leader Bikam Singh Majithia on Monday dubbed the AAP-Congress collusion as “an unholy wedlock” in which both parties have treated Punjab as a “bargaining dowry-chip to seal an immoral deal”. 

‘Opposition in Punjab dead’, says Akali Dal on Congress backing AAP

Punjab CM yet to announce ex-gratia for flood victims: Bajwa

Punjab CM yet to announce ex-gratia for flood victims: Bajwa
Congress leader Bajwa said it was quite evident now that the floods have wreaked havoc in 14 districts, severely damaging the farming sector and other occupations, including shopkeepers, small traders, and labourers. A considerable number of families in the flood-affected areas have got their houses damaged irreparably. 

Punjab CM yet to announce ex-gratia for flood victims: Bajwa

Indian students pursuing Masters in France to get 5-year work visa: PM Modi

Indian students pursuing Masters in France to get 5-year work visa: PM Modi
According to the latest official data collected post-Covid, there were around 6,000 Indian students in France in the 2021-2022 academic year. France plans to invite 20,000 Indian students in the country by the year 2025, Foreign Minister Catherine Colonna said last year.

Indian students pursuing Masters in France to get 5-year work visa: PM Modi