Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
India

Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

Darpan News Desk IANS, 30 Jun, 2025 12:28 PM
  • Operation Sindoor authorised under UNSC statement demanding action against Pahalgam terrorists: Jaishankar

External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar made the case on Monday that Operation Sindoor was authorised under the Security Council statement demanding action against those who carried out the Pahalgam massacre. 

The Council statement on April 25 "demanded that its perpetrators be held accountable and brought to justice", Jaishankar said. "We have since seen that happen."

Operation Sindoor took out the terrorist site and leaders hosted by Pakistan who were behind terrorist attacks, before Islamabad decided to escalate it.

"What that response underlines is of larger significance, the message of zero tolerance for terrorism," he said.

Jaishankar was speaking at the inauguration of the exhibition, The Human Cost of Terrorism, at the UN.

The interactive digital exhibition comes a day ahead of Pakistan becoming the president of the Council for the month of July and will be the first thing top diplomats coming into the UN building will see.

It portrays 40 years of terrorism from the 1985 downing of Air India flight by Canada-based terrorists to the Pahalgam killings by The Resistance Front, an affiliate of the Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba.

The 29 incidents on display take a panoramic view of the horrors across continents, from the 9/11 attack on the US and the London bombings in 2005 to the 2003 Baghdad attacks, the 2002 Bali attack and the Crocus City Hall killings last year in Moscow.

Jaishankar did not directly mention Operation Sindoor or Pakistan, but the reference to the Council statement made clear what he was referring to.

The statement said: "The members of the Security Council underlined the need to hold perpetrators, organisers, financiers, and sponsors of this reprehensible act of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice."

It added that the Council "members stressed that those responsible for these killings should be held accountable, and urged all states, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard".

Pakistan, an elected member of the Council, signed on to the statement that was issued unanimously because of the pressure from the other members.

Explaining the rationale for the exhibition, Jaishankar said that terrorism is the antithesis of what the UN stands for and when terrorism is supported by a state against its neighbour, and when "the bigotry of extremism drives a whole host of illegal activities, it is imperative to call it out".

"One way of doing so is to display the havoc it has wreaked on the global society", he said.

"Today's exhibition is not merely a presentation of images, videos and histories, it is a statement of our shared responsibilities" to fight terrorism, he added.

India’s Permanent Representative P Harish said the exhibition "is a statement of our shared humanity to the gallery of human courage, each moment, each memory, each artefact and every word tells the story of ... ordinary men and women".

Picture Courtesy: IANS 

MORE India ARTICLES

Sukhbir Badal visits flood-hit villages along Pakistan border, blames govt for releasing water

Sukhbir Badal visits flood-hit villages along Pakistan border, blames govt for releasing water
He appealed to Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann to take corrective steps to mitigate the sufferings of the people instead of relying on propaganda to give the impression that all concerns in the wake of damage and destruction to dwellings and fields had been addressed.

Sukhbir Badal visits flood-hit villages along Pakistan border, blames govt for releasing water

Delhi flood situation: Red Fort to remain shut for public till Friday

Delhi flood situation: Red Fort to remain shut for public till Friday
Following the flood in several low-lying areas of the national capital thousands of people have been evacuated while several roads in Delhi have been closed for traffic as the water flooded the streets.  At least 12 teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have also been deployed in Delhi for rescue and evacuation operations. 

Delhi flood situation: Red Fort to remain shut for public till Friday

Modi announces finalisation of pact to allow usage of UPI in France

Modi announces finalisation of pact to allow usage of UPI in France
Addressing the Indian diaspora in Paris on the first day of his visit to France, Modi announced that the agreement for usage of India's UPI in France has been finalised. This will mean that now Indian tourists can pay in rupee to visit the Eiffel Tower, Modi informed the gathering.  

Modi announces finalisation of pact to allow usage of UPI in France

Fake call center cheating US citizens busted in Goa

Fake call center cheating US citizens busted in Goa
Goa crime branch police on Wednesday busted a fake call center involving nine accused persons who were cheating citizens of the United States. Superintendent of Police (Crime branch) Nidhin Valsan informed that the police conducted a raid on an illegal call centre at Majorda, Salcete in South Goa, where nine accused persons were arrested.  

Fake call center cheating US citizens busted in Goa

Will compensate for rainfall loss, says Punjab CM

Will compensate for rainfall loss, says Punjab CM
The Chief Minister said already all Cabinet Ministers, MLAs and the officers are in their respective areas and reaching out to the needy people in this hour of grave crisis. The Chief Minister said an elaborate mechanism has been put in place to safeguard the life and property of people from the increasing level of water.

Will compensate for rainfall loss, says Punjab CM

Release relief of Rs 20K per acre to farmers for crop damage: Punjab BJP chief

Release relief of Rs 20K per acre to farmers for crop damage: Punjab BJP chief
Lackadaisical and irresponsible attitude of the state government has visibly worsened the flood situation in most parts and people of the state are being made to face hardships for no fault of theirs, Jakhar said asking the government to immediately release compensation to tune of Rs 20,000 per acre to farmers for crop damage. 

Release relief of Rs 20K per acre to farmers for crop damage: Punjab BJP chief