Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Process of handing over of seven Amritpal’s aides to Punjab underway in Dibrugarh

Darpan News Desk IANS, 19 Mar, 2025 11:00 AM
  • Process of handing over of seven Amritpal’s aides to Punjab underway in Dibrugarh

Guwahati, March 19 (IANS) The process of transferring seven associates of radical Sikh preacher Amritpal Singh, who were arrested under the National Security Act (NSA) at Dibrugarh Central Jail, to Punjab, is approaching completion, officials said on Wednesday.

The seven aides of Amritpal are set to be handed over to the Punjab Police team by the Dibrugarh jail authorities.

In the past two days, four detainees -- Gurmeet Singh, Bhagwant Singh (alias Pradhan Mantri Bajeke), Daljit Singh Kalsi, and Basant Singh -- were released by the Dibrugarh jail authorities.

Immediately upon their release, Punjab Police re-arrested them in relation to a case registered at the Ajnala Police Station in Punjab.

The re-arrested individuals were subsequently presented before the Chief Judicial Magistrate's (CJM) Court in Dibrugarh. As per court orders, they were placed under transit remand on March 17 and 18 for further legal proceedings.

Meanwhile, the remaining detainees -- Kulwant Singh, Harjeet Singh, and Kulwinder Pal Singh -- are expected to be released on Wednesday as their NSA detention period has expired.

Following their release, Punjab Police will produce them before the judicial court in Dibrugarh and seek transit remand for further legal actions.

Amritpal Singh, the leader of the ‘Waris Punjab De’ outfit, and his nine aides were lodged in the Dibrugarh jail in Assam as NSA was slapped on them two years ago.

In the 2024 Lok Sabha elections, Singh contested as an independent and emerged victorious from the Khadoor Sahib seat in Punjab. The detainees had been lodged in Dibrugarh Central Jail since March 2023, following a crackdown on Amritpal Singh and his associates in Punjab.

Authorities had invoked the NSA due to concerns regarding their involvement in activities that could disturb public order and national security.

According to a top Punjab Police official, the inquiry into the 2023 attack incident at the Ajnala police station would continue. The official further stated that 10 individuals who were detained under the NSA have not yet been formally arrested in connection with the attack on the Ajnala police station.

He stated, “We are moving forward with the investigation. We will arrest the seven individuals in that incident and return them to Punjab. We will bring them here in that case and take forward the investigation,” the senior police official added.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Delhi Metro to give Rs 15L compensation to kin of woman dragged along platform

Delhi Metro to give Rs 15L compensation to kin of woman dragged along platform
The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) will provide a compensation of Rs 15 lakh to the next of kin of a woman passenger, who died following a mishap at the Inderlok Metro station last week, an official said. The 35-year-old woman succumbed to injuries at a hospital on December 16, which she sustained when her saree and jacket got stuck in the door of a Delhi Metro train following which she got dragged by the train for several metres.

Delhi Metro to give Rs 15L compensation to kin of woman dragged along platform

A few incidents cannot derail India-US ties, says PM Modi on Pannun case

A few incidents cannot derail India-US ties, says PM Modi on Pannun case
In his first public response to allegations of an Indian national conspiring to murder a Khalistani separatist in New York, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the issue will be examined, but a few incidents cannot derail ties between India and the US. He underlined that security and counter-terrorism cooperation has been a key component of the ties between India and the US.  

A few incidents cannot derail India-US ties, says PM Modi on Pannun case

Delhi: Man arrested for duping over 900 families of missing persons

Delhi: Man arrested for duping over 900 families of missing persons
A 28-year-old man was arrested for duping over 900 families of the missing persons after downloading information from the ZIPNet (Zonal Integrated Police Network) and other such government websites, a Delhi Police official said on Wednesday. The accused was identified as Shyamsunder Chauhan, a resident of Ranipur Mau, Uttar Pradesh and a Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) graduate from Indore.  

Delhi: Man arrested for duping over 900 families of missing persons

21 cases of new Covid variant JN. 1 reported across country

21 cases of new Covid variant JN. 1 reported across country
The Union Health Ministry on Wednesday said that 21 cases of the new variant JN.1 have been reported from across the country. The source said that 19 cases of the new coronavirus variant has been reported from Goa while one each from Maharashtra and Kerala.  

21 cases of new Covid variant JN. 1 reported across country

IGIA set to unveil India’s first multi-modal interstate transport hub

IGIA set to unveil India’s first multi-modal interstate transport hub
According to officials, the hub will be well-connected with an Interstate Bus Terminus (ISBT), the upcoming phase-four line of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), the proposed Passenger Transport Centre (PTC) and the proposed Rapid Rail Transit System (RRTS) station, including the station for Automated Passenger Mover (APM) near the GMR Aerocity.

IGIA set to unveil India’s first multi-modal interstate transport hub

India, Pakistan abuzz over health status of Dawood; if he was ‘poisoned, critical’

India, Pakistan abuzz over health status of Dawood; if he was ‘poisoned, critical’
The prime cases for which India wants him include the March 12, 1993 Mumbai serial blasts -- ranked the worst-ever terror strike in India -- which claimed 267 people, much higher than the 166 who were killed in the terror attacks of November 26, 2008, that hit the country's commercial capital.

India, Pakistan abuzz over health status of Dawood; if he was ‘poisoned, critical’