Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
India

Process of handing over of seven Amritpal’s aides to Punjab underway in Dibrugarh

Darpan News Desk IANS, 19 Mar, 2025 11:00 AM
  • Process of handing over of seven Amritpal’s aides to Punjab underway in Dibrugarh

Guwahati, March 19 (IANS) The process of transferring seven associates of radical Sikh preacher Amritpal Singh, who were arrested under the National Security Act (NSA) at Dibrugarh Central Jail, to Punjab, is approaching completion, officials said on Wednesday.

The seven aides of Amritpal are set to be handed over to the Punjab Police team by the Dibrugarh jail authorities.

In the past two days, four detainees -- Gurmeet Singh, Bhagwant Singh (alias Pradhan Mantri Bajeke), Daljit Singh Kalsi, and Basant Singh -- were released by the Dibrugarh jail authorities.

Immediately upon their release, Punjab Police re-arrested them in relation to a case registered at the Ajnala Police Station in Punjab.

The re-arrested individuals were subsequently presented before the Chief Judicial Magistrate's (CJM) Court in Dibrugarh. As per court orders, they were placed under transit remand on March 17 and 18 for further legal proceedings.

Meanwhile, the remaining detainees -- Kulwant Singh, Harjeet Singh, and Kulwinder Pal Singh -- are expected to be released on Wednesday as their NSA detention period has expired.

Following their release, Punjab Police will produce them before the judicial court in Dibrugarh and seek transit remand for further legal actions.

Amritpal Singh, the leader of the ‘Waris Punjab De’ outfit, and his nine aides were lodged in the Dibrugarh jail in Assam as NSA was slapped on them two years ago.

In the 2024 Lok Sabha elections, Singh contested as an independent and emerged victorious from the Khadoor Sahib seat in Punjab. The detainees had been lodged in Dibrugarh Central Jail since March 2023, following a crackdown on Amritpal Singh and his associates in Punjab.

Authorities had invoked the NSA due to concerns regarding their involvement in activities that could disturb public order and national security.

According to a top Punjab Police official, the inquiry into the 2023 attack incident at the Ajnala police station would continue. The official further stated that 10 individuals who were detained under the NSA have not yet been formally arrested in connection with the attack on the Ajnala police station.

He stated, “We are moving forward with the investigation. We will arrest the seven individuals in that incident and return them to Punjab. We will bring them here in that case and take forward the investigation,” the senior police official added.

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Gold smuggling into India through Indo-Myanmar border: ED searches 7 locations in Punjab

Gold smuggling into India through Indo-Myanmar border: ED searches 7 locations in Punjab
The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Thursday said that it carried out searches at seven locations on December 12 in Punjab’s Patiala city in connection with a gold smuggling operation. The ED said that the case is based on a criminal complaint filed by the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI), under provisions of the Customs Act, 1962 against Lucky Satija, Surinder Kumar, Manjodh Singh Cheema and others for smuggling gold from foreign nations into India.  

Gold smuggling into India through Indo-Myanmar border: ED searches 7 locations in Punjab

Eight years after sacrilege, Sukhbir Badal apologises for failing to arrest culprits

Eight years after sacrilege, Sukhbir Badal apologises for failing to arrest culprits
Eight years after the sacrilege of Guru Granth Sahib during the helm of the Shiromani Akali Dal-BJP government in Punjab, Akali Dal President Sukhbir Badal on Thursday unconditionally sought forgiveness of the Khalsa Panth (community) for failing to arrest the culprits. Speaking at the 103rd foundation day of the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) with folded hands, Badal expressed his regrets.

Eight years after sacrilege, Sukhbir Badal apologises for failing to arrest culprits

Lawrence Bishnoi-Goldy Brar gang sharpshooter nabbed after encounter, involved in firing at ex-MLA's Delhi house

Lawrence Bishnoi-Goldy Brar gang sharpshooter nabbed after encounter, involved in firing at ex-MLA's Delhi house
The accused was identified as Sombir a.k.a Totala, 23, a resident of Haryana's Sonipat. Last week, two sharpshooters of the gang were arrested for firing seven to eight rounds in front of the residence of the ex-MLA. According to a Crime Branch officer, the sharpshooters were identified as Aakash a.k.a Kassa (23) and Nitesh alias Sinti (19), both residents of Haryana.  

Lawrence Bishnoi-Goldy Brar gang sharpshooter nabbed after encounter, involved in firing at ex-MLA's Delhi house

CBI chargesheets 7 for exporting gold jewellery from India under guise of fake exhibition

CBI chargesheets 7 for exporting gold jewellery from India under guise of fake exhibition
The Central Bureau of Investigation on Thursday filed a chargesheet against seven accused including a Delhi based private company and its director, the then superintendent of customs and private persons for exporting gold jewellery from India under the guise of a fake exhibition organized by a UAE based firm. 

CBI chargesheets 7 for exporting gold jewellery from India under guise of fake exhibition

Out of 678 winning candidates in 5 states, 253 have criminal cases; maximum 114 from Congress

Out of 678 winning candidates in 5 states, 253 have criminal cases; maximum 114 from Congress
Out of 678 winning candidates analysed from the five states of Rajasthan, Telangana, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Mizoram that went to the polls recently, 253 have declared criminal cases against themselves in their affidavits, with the maximum from the Congress which has 114 winning members facing criminal cases, a report said on Thursday. The report also revealed that in Telangana 69 per cent of the winning candidates have criminal cases against them.  

Out of 678 winning candidates in 5 states, 253 have criminal cases; maximum 114 from Congress

Parliament security breach: Accused Lalit Jha arrested

Parliament security breach: Accused Lalit Jha arrested
The fifth accused and alleged mastermind of the Parliament security breach incident, Lalit Jha, was arrested from the national capital on Thursday, police said. As per police sources, Jha had allegedly organised a clandestine meeting in Gurugram on Tuesday, a day before the incident.  

Parliament security breach: Accused Lalit Jha arrested