Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
India

Suspected of Khalistan links, UP man commits suicide

Darpan News Desk IANS, 22 Jul, 2021 11:28 AM
  • Suspected of Khalistan links, UP man commits suicide

Meerut (UP), July 22 (IANS) A guard working at a dairy farm in Hastinapur and an alleged Khalistan outfit suspect, has ended his life by suicide.

Paramjit Singh, 35, consumed poison two days after he was interrogated by NIA officials.

Hastinapur police station sub inspector A.K. Singh said that Paramjit had left for the dairy farm on Tuesday night and hours later, he was found lying unconscious, possibly by passers-by.

"He was alive when he was brought to the hospital. The doctors said he had consumed pesticide," the police said. His body has been sent for an autopsy.

Paramjit's father, Ajit Singh, told reporters, "Paramjit was taken away by the NIA on July 11 and let off the following day. He was summoned again on July 14. Then, on July 19, he was asked to reach NIA's Chandigarh office to record a statement. We got there and he was with them (NIA officials) for five hours. Later that evening, we left Chandigarh. When we were leaving, NIA officers told me they had 'explained everything' to Paramjit. All through the journey home I did everything I could to make him talk about what happened but he would not speak."

The arrest of an alleged gunrunner from Punjab, Gagandeep Singh on July 6 had set off a trail that led to Paramjit.

According to reports, Gagandeep had been booked in Punjab for allegedly supplying weapons to a man called Aarsh, believed to be close to the chief of the banned Khalistan Tiger Force (KTF) chief Hardeep Singh Nijjar.

The weapons were said to have been used for extortion.

The Union ministry of home affairs had in January identified KTF among outfits the NIA must investigate for "conspiracy to create an atmosphere of fear and lawlessness and cause disaffection in people and incite them towards rising in rebellion towards the government of India".

Gagandeep revealed his links with Paramjit and another man, Asif Ali, who was arrested on July 10.

A day later, Paramjit was called in for questioning. "During a search (at Paramjit's house in Hastinapur's Dudhali Khadar), cash amounting to Rs 9 lakh, mobile phones and incriminating documents were recovered," a NIA statement said on July 11.

 

 

 

 

MORE India ARTICLES

Ponung Doming Becomes Arunachal's First Woman Lieutenant Colonel

Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu on Monday congratulated Army officer Ponung Doming, who became the first woman officer from the state to be elevated to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in the Indian Army.

Ponung Doming Becomes Arunachal's First Woman Lieutenant Colonel

US Man Credits Apple Watch With Saving Dad's Life After Bike Crash

Gabe Burdett from Washington was waiting for his father Bob at a meeting point, from where the two were to go enjoy mountain biking together.

US Man Credits Apple Watch With Saving Dad's Life After Bike Crash

New WhatsApp Feature Allows You To Share Stories To Facebook

The new WhatsApp update definitely seems a step in that direction and the feature is available for every user who has updated to the new version of the app.

New WhatsApp Feature Allows You To Share Stories To Facebook

Indian Army Removes 130 Tonnes Of Solid Waste From Siachen Glacier

At a time when the world is fighting against climate change, the Indian Army has cleared more than 130 tonnes of garbage from the Siachen glacier in the last 19 months.

Indian Army Removes 130 Tonnes Of Solid Waste From Siachen Glacier

PV Sindhu Gets A Weird Wedding Proposal! 70-Year-Old Man From Tamil Nadu Files Petition to Marry Indian Badminton Star

The septuagenarian has also claimed that he isn’t 70-years-old, in fact, he says that he is a 16-year-old boy who was born on April 4, 2004.

PV Sindhu Gets A Weird Wedding Proposal! 70-Year-Old Man From Tamil Nadu Files Petition to Marry Indian Badminton Star

'Ram Chabutra Not The Birthplace Of Lord Ram,' Muslim Party Withdraws Statement In SC

The top court was told by the Muslim parties there was no change in their stand that there was no evidence to suggest that the 2.77 acre of the disputed land was the birthplace of Lord Ram.

'Ram Chabutra Not The Birthplace Of Lord Ram,' Muslim Party Withdraws Statement In SC