Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
International

Indian-Origin Man Pleads Guilty To Drink-drive Killing Of 3 Teenagers In UK

IANS, 28 Feb, 2018 01:27 PM
  • Indian-Origin Man Pleads Guilty To Drink-drive Killing Of 3 Teenagers In UK
An Indian-origin man has admitted killing three teenage boys as they walked to a birthday party while he was driving more than two-and-a-half times over the alcohol limit in London last month.
 
Jaynesh Chudasama appeared at the Old Bailey court in London yesterday, where he pleaded guilty to charges of three counts of death by dangerous driving on January 26 evening when the fatal collision occurred near a bus stop at Hayes, West London.
 
The court heard that traces of cannabis had also been found in the 28-year-old's system.
 
The London-based car hire worker was travelling at 71 mph on a 60 mph zone when he hit the teenagers, who died instantly.
 
The Metropolitan Police had earlier named the victims of the crash as Harry Rice, 17, and 16-year-olds George Wilkinson and Josh McGuinness. The boys were part of a large group on their way to a friend's birthday party when they were killed.
 
Chudasama was attempting to overtake another car when he lost control and struck the boys head on, the court heard.
 
The victims were propelled into the air and Chudasama's Audi spun round.
 
He and his passenger got out and ran off but were chased by two of the boys from the group, who dragged the driver back to where their friends lay.
 
One of the boys later admitted that he had hit the driver over the head with a bottle to prevent him from getting away.
 
The three victims were walking to a 16th birthday party at a local football club.
 
Judge Wendy Joseph said the loss of life was "appalling".
 
Chudasama, who faces a maximum of 14 years imprisonment for causing death by dangerous driving, will be sentenced on March 9.
 
Despite the efforts of paramedics, all three boys were pronounced dead at the scene. Hundreds of people had gathered at the site of the crash a day later to lay floral tributes and held a minute's silence and released balloons.
 
A friend of the dead boys who narrowly missed being hurt said the accident was like a "blur".
 
"Five of us were walking to the party and the next moment three of my friends were dead on the ground. The car lost control," he said.
 
Photos from the scene showed the smashed wreckage of a car, including a caved-in fence. 

MORE International ARTICLES

Over 400 India-bound passengers stranded in Saudi Arabia

Over 400 India-bound passengers stranded in Saudi Arabia
Over 400 India-bound passengers were stranded for many hours at a Saudi Arabian airport since early Wednesday morning as an Air India flight could not take off due to a technical glitch, a news report said.

Over 400 India-bound passengers stranded in Saudi Arabia

Indian's body lying in UAE morgue for two years

Indian's body lying in UAE morgue for two years
The body of an expatriate Indian has been lying in a morgue in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for the last two years as his family members refused to claim his body, media reported Wednesday.

Indian's body lying in UAE morgue for two years

Press freedom in India declines with elections: Report

Press freedom in India declines with elections: Report
India's score in press freedom declined by a point, to 39, to reflect increased interference in content by media owners in the run-up to the 2014 elections, according to a Freedom House report released Thursday.

Press freedom in India declines with elections: Report

Sri Lanka condemns Chennai bomb blasts

Sri Lanka condemns Chennai bomb blasts
Sri Lanka has strongly condemned the twin blasts that took place at the Chennai Central railway station Thursday morning killing one woman and injuring 14 others, the country's foreign ministry said in a statement.

Sri Lanka condemns Chennai bomb blasts

Sikhs, Muslims object to headgear ban at US amusement park

Sikhs, Muslims object to headgear ban at US amusement park
They have filed complaints alleging religious discrimination against a California amusement park after a couple of families wearing religious headgear were denied access to riding go-karts due to "safety concerns".

Sikhs, Muslims object to headgear ban at US amusement park

Pakistan eager to work with new Indian government, says envoy

Pakistan eager to work with new Indian government, says envoy
Pakistan is closely watching the unfolding parliamentary elections in India and is eager to work with whichever government come to power, its High Commissioner Abdul Basit said here Wednesday.

Pakistan eager to work with new Indian government, says envoy