Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
International

Now, Australian PM Turnbull Abolishes Visa Programme Popular With Indians

IANS, 18 Apr, 2017 01:34 PM
    After Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull announced that he will be abolishing the existing 457 Visa programme, currently used by temporary foreign workers to gain employment in the country, India on Tuesday said it is examining the matter and consulting all stakeholders.
     
    Responding to a query, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Gopal Baglay said that the government was examining consequences of the new policy in consultation with all stakeholders. 
     
    "This is also a matter we will be looking at in the context of CECA (Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement) negotiations (with Australia)," Baglay said.
     
    The 457 Visa programme is used mainly to hire foreign workers in the restaurant, IT and medical industries and the majority of such visa holders came from India, Britain and China, reported the Sydney Morning Herald on Tuesday.
     
    According to government statistics, 95,758 people were living in Australia under 457 Visa programme last year, with the highest proportion coming from India (24.6 per cent), followed by Britain (19.5 per cent) and China (5.8 per cent).
     
    Turnbull used Facebook to announce the policy, which he said would "put jobs first" and "Australians first", signalling a reduction in the occupations available to skilled foreign workers and raising the threshold to qualify.
     
    "We are putting jobs first, we are putting Australians first," he said. "We are an immigration nation, but the fact remains that Australian workers must have priority for Australian jobs." 
     
     
    Stating that Australian workers must have priority for Australian jobs, he said: "We will no longer allow 457 Visa system to be passports to jobs that could and should go to Australians." 
     
    At a press conference in Canberra, Turnbull said the 457 Visa system needed to be replaced because it had "lost its credibility".
     
    The scheme will be replaced by two temporary visas that will impose tougher English language tests, stricter labour market testing, at least two years of work experience and a mandatory police check.
     
    The numbers of jobs eligible for the two-year and four-year visa streams will be slashed, with 216 occupations ranging from antique dealer to fisheries officer to shoe-maker, axed from a list of 651 professions on the list.
     
    Accounting giant KPMG criticised the decision, saying "there is no evidence the current system is not working".
     
    However, Turnbull dismissed that claim, arguing the abolition of the 457 Visa regime was "a decision of my government... this has been a careful exercise in policy development", reported the daily.
     
    People currently on a 457 Visa, which lasts for four years, will be exempt from the new regulations.
     
    Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said that for the two-year stream, which could be renewed for two years, "there won't be permanent residency outcomes at the end of that". 
     
    "In relation to the medium-term stream which, as the Prime Minister pointed out, is targeted at higher skills, (there will be) a much shorter skills list."
     
    He said the government would work with companies to ensure they met labour market testing requirements, and warned "there will be a particular focus on companies that have an unnecessarily high proportion of 457 or foreign workers in jobs as well". 
     
    The 457 Visa programme was introduced by the former John Howard government in 1996-97.

    MORE International ARTICLES

    Indian Diaspora Seeks Modi's Help Over Demonetised Currency

    Indian Diaspora Seeks Modi's Help Over Demonetised Currency
    The Global Organisation of People of Indian Origin (GOPIO) has pointed out to Prime Minister Narendra Modi that diaspora Indians are being turned away by the RBI from depositing 

    Indian Diaspora Seeks Modi's Help Over Demonetised Currency

    Chasing Cricket Ball, 6-Year-Old Falls Into Sewer, Dies In Delhi

    Chasing Cricket Ball, 6-Year-Old Falls Into Sewer, Dies In Delhi
    In a tragic incident, a six-year- old boy died after he fell and drowned into a sewer while chasing his cricket ball in south Delhi's Malviya Nagar on Thursday, police said.

    Chasing Cricket Ball, 6-Year-Old Falls Into Sewer, Dies In Delhi

    Small Plane With Student And Instructor Crashes Near Airport In Duncan, B.C.

    An instructor and a student have survived a small plane crash just north of the airport in Duncan, B.C.

    Small Plane With Student And Instructor Crashes Near Airport In Duncan, B.C.

    Local Prosecutor Rupen R. Shah Becomes First Indian-American Judge In Virginia

    Local Prosecutor Rupen R. Shah Becomes First Indian-American Judge In Virginia
    Rupen R. Shah, who is currently the Chief Deputy of Augusta County Commonwealth in Virginia, has become the first Indian American judge to be elected the southeastern US state.

    Local Prosecutor Rupen R. Shah Becomes First Indian-American Judge In Virginia

    New Legislation To Tighten H-1B Visas To Foreign Techies

    New Legislation To Tighten H-1B Visas To Foreign Techies
    We need programmes dedicated to putting American workers first. When skilled foreign workers are needed to meet the demands of our labour market, we must also ensure that visa applicants who honed their skills at American colleges 

    New Legislation To Tighten H-1B Visas To Foreign Techies

    We Resolved Tough Issues; No Place For Complacency: US Envoy Richard Verma's Parting Message

    We Resolved Tough Issues; No Place For Complacency: US Envoy Richard Verma's Parting Message
    A day before he demits office, US Ambassador to India Richard Verma, on Thursday underlined how the two countries resolved some "tough issues" during his tenure, including nuclear liability, even as he cautioned against being "complacent".

    We Resolved Tough Issues; No Place For Complacency: US Envoy Richard Verma's Parting Message