Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
International

Now, Australian PM Turnbull Abolishes Visa Programme Popular With Indians

IANS, 18 Apr, 2017 01:34 PM
    After Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull announced that he will be abolishing the existing 457 Visa programme, currently used by temporary foreign workers to gain employment in the country, India on Tuesday said it is examining the matter and consulting all stakeholders.
     
    Responding to a query, External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Gopal Baglay said that the government was examining consequences of the new policy in consultation with all stakeholders. 
     
    "This is also a matter we will be looking at in the context of CECA (Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement) negotiations (with Australia)," Baglay said.
     
    The 457 Visa programme is used mainly to hire foreign workers in the restaurant, IT and medical industries and the majority of such visa holders came from India, Britain and China, reported the Sydney Morning Herald on Tuesday.
     
    According to government statistics, 95,758 people were living in Australia under 457 Visa programme last year, with the highest proportion coming from India (24.6 per cent), followed by Britain (19.5 per cent) and China (5.8 per cent).
     
    Turnbull used Facebook to announce the policy, which he said would "put jobs first" and "Australians first", signalling a reduction in the occupations available to skilled foreign workers and raising the threshold to qualify.
     
    "We are putting jobs first, we are putting Australians first," he said. "We are an immigration nation, but the fact remains that Australian workers must have priority for Australian jobs." 
     
     
    Stating that Australian workers must have priority for Australian jobs, he said: "We will no longer allow 457 Visa system to be passports to jobs that could and should go to Australians." 
     
    At a press conference in Canberra, Turnbull said the 457 Visa system needed to be replaced because it had "lost its credibility".
     
    The scheme will be replaced by two temporary visas that will impose tougher English language tests, stricter labour market testing, at least two years of work experience and a mandatory police check.
     
    The numbers of jobs eligible for the two-year and four-year visa streams will be slashed, with 216 occupations ranging from antique dealer to fisheries officer to shoe-maker, axed from a list of 651 professions on the list.
     
    Accounting giant KPMG criticised the decision, saying "there is no evidence the current system is not working".
     
    However, Turnbull dismissed that claim, arguing the abolition of the 457 Visa regime was "a decision of my government... this has been a careful exercise in policy development", reported the daily.
     
    People currently on a 457 Visa, which lasts for four years, will be exempt from the new regulations.
     
    Immigration Minister Peter Dutton said that for the two-year stream, which could be renewed for two years, "there won't be permanent residency outcomes at the end of that". 
     
    "In relation to the medium-term stream which, as the Prime Minister pointed out, is targeted at higher skills, (there will be) a much shorter skills list."
     
    He said the government would work with companies to ensure they met labour market testing requirements, and warned "there will be a particular focus on companies that have an unnecessarily high proportion of 457 or foreign workers in jobs as well". 
     
    The 457 Visa programme was introduced by the former John Howard government in 1996-97.

    MORE International ARTICLES

    Indian Abducted In Malaysia, Sushma Swaraj Assures Family Of Help

    A 46-year-old Indian has been abducted in Malaysia and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has directed the Indian Mission in that country to send her a report about the case so that he can be rescued.

    Indian Abducted In Malaysia, Sushma Swaraj Assures Family Of Help

    Indian Businessman Found Hanging In UAE

    Indian Businessman Found Hanging In UAE
    A 49-year-old Indian businessman, who had been missing for days, was found hanging in his office inside a residential building in Fujairah, the media reported.

    Indian Businessman Found Hanging In UAE

    Together We Will Make America, World Great: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th U.S. President

    Together We Will Make America, World Great: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th U.S. President
    From this day, it's going to be only America first

    Together We Will Make America, World Great: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th U.S. President

    Indian-origin Woman’s Body Found Hidden In Suitcase In UK, 'Ex-Husband' Suspect

    Indian-origin Woman’s Body Found Hidden In Suitcase In UK, 'Ex-Husband' Suspect
    Leicestershire Police said they had charged Ashwin Daudia, 50, with murder and remanded him in custody. Daudia, of Lyme Road, Leicester, will appear at Leicester Magistrates' Court today, the metro.co.uk reported.

    Indian-origin Woman’s Body Found Hidden In Suitcase In UK, 'Ex-Husband' Suspect

    Children Asked If We Have To Leave US After Donald Trump Won: Indian-American Official Nisha Biswal

    Children Asked If We Have To Leave US After Donald Trump Won: Indian-American Official Nisha Biswal
    Highlighting the post-election fear and anxiety among immigrants, a senior Indian-American official in the Obama Administration has said she experienced it in her own home when the children asked if Donald Trump's win meant they will "have to leave" the country

    Children Asked If We Have To Leave US After Donald Trump Won: Indian-American Official Nisha Biswal

    PICS: 'Britain's Best Boss' Gives Staff Castle Office, Free Beer, In-House Cinema

    PICS: 'Britain's Best Boss'  Gives Staff Castle Office, Free Beer, In-House Cinema
    Chris Morling, founder of Money.co.uk, spent 3 million pounds on renovation of his office with impressive designing by Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen.

    PICS: 'Britain's Best Boss' Gives Staff Castle Office, Free Beer, In-House Cinema