Friday, August 12, 2022
ADVT 
International

US school shooting: 15-year-old suspect charged as an adult

Darpan News Desk IANS, 02 Dec, 2021 12:59 PM
  • US school shooting: 15-year-old suspect charged as an adult

New Delhi, Dec 2 (IANS) The suspect in a Michigan school shooting will face charges of terrorism and first-degree murder following a rampage that left four students dead and seven injured.

Prosecutors on Wednesday charged the Oxford High School student, who is 15 years old as an adult, the BBC reported.

He has pleaded not guilty. Police are yet to identify a motive in the attack.

The victims were named as Tate Myre, 16, Madisyn Baldwin, 17, Hana St Juliana, 14, and Justin Shilling, 17.

Announcing the charges Oakland County prosecutor Karen McDonald said her office had "a mountain of digital evidence" to show the suspect had planned the attack "well before the incident".

One such instance is a video of the suspect the night before the shooting, in which he discusses killing students.

"This isn't even a close call," she said. "This was not an impulsive act."

She added that it was "absolutely premeditated".

McDonald said the teen will face one count of terrorism, four counts of first-degree murder, seven counts of assault with intent to murder, and 12 counts of possession of a firearm, with further charges likely as the investigation unfolds.

The suspect will be transferred from a juvenile detention centre to the local county jail, where he will be held without bond.

The teenager has refused to speak with investigators on the instructions of his family.

At a later news conference, Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said charging the suspect as an adult was "the most appropriate" action.

The sheriff stressed that the teenager had never been on the radar of law enforcement or the school. He also added there was no evidence the suspect had been bullied by his peers.

"There is nothing that he could have faced that would warrant senseless, absolutely brutal violence on other kids," said Bouchard.

He noted that the suspect's parents had been called to the school hours before the shooting "for behaviour in the classroom that was concerning".

Investigators have found the suspect loaded his firearm -- purchased by his father on Friday -- in the bathroom and then walked through the hallway firing more than 30 shots from the weapon.

Bouchard said the suspect appeared to fire indiscriminately during the attack at the school of around 1,700 students.

Tate Myre reportedly tried to disarm the shooter, and more than 75,000 people have signed a petition calling for the school to rename its football stadium after Tate, reported the BBC.

The 16-year-old, who played on the football team, died in a police officer's car on the way to hospital.

Madisyn and Hana also died on Tuesday, while Justin was confirmed dead on Wednesday.

Among those admitted to hospital, a 17-year-old female student remains in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the chest.

MORE International ARTICLES

US man charged with killing his four children, mother-in-law in shooting

US man charged with killing his four children, mother-in-law in shooting

David is accused of fatally shooting the five victims aged 11, 7, 2, 1 and 51 at the family home on the 3,500 block of Garnet Lane in Lancaster in northern Los Angeles County, according to the news release.

US man charged with killing his four children, mother-in-law in shooting

Blanket travel bans will not prevent int'l spread of Omicron variant: WHO

Blanket travel bans will not prevent int'l spread of Omicron variant: WHO


The Omicron variant was first reported to the WHO by South Africa last week. So far, several countries and regions have confirmed cases of infection with Omicron. Dozens of countries have already tightened travel measures, and even suspended flights, Xinhua news agency reported.

Blanket travel bans will not prevent int'l spread of Omicron variant: WHO

Taliban gunmen checking mobile phones of Kabul residents

Taliban gunmen checking mobile phones of Kabul residents

Residents of Kabul complain that gunmen linked to the Taliban government have lately been checking their mobile phones, thus violating their privacy, Pajhwok News reported. Concerned at the unwarranted checks, they said the practice amounts to trampling on human rights and respect for their privacy.

Taliban gunmen checking mobile phones of Kabul residents

Omicron variant reminds that Covid is far from over: WHO

Omicron variant reminds that Covid is far from over: WHO

Even as the world is entering a third year into the Covid-19 pandemic, the infectious disease that claimed the lives of more than 5 million people so far is far from over, the WHO said on Monday.

Omicron variant reminds that Covid is far from over: WHO

Jack Dorsey quits as Twitter CEO, announces IIT man Parag Agrawal as successor

Jack Dorsey quits as Twitter CEO, announces IIT man Parag Agrawal as successor

Jack Dorsey, the maverick behind making Twitter the world's go-to social platform to rant, laud, troll or play simple catch up, is moving on. Indian-American Parag Agrawal, Twitter @paraga, is the new CEO, with immediate effect, Dorsey announced.

Jack Dorsey quits as Twitter CEO, announces IIT man Parag Agrawal as successor

Stores kick off Black Friday but pandemic woes linger

Stores kick off Black Friday but pandemic woes linger

Retailers are expected to usher in the unofficial start to the holiday shopping season Friday with bigger crowds than last year in a closer step toward normalcy. But the fallout from the pandemic continues to weigh on businesses and shoppers' minds.

Stores kick off Black Friday but pandemic woes linger

PrevNext