Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Latest Targeted Surrey, B.C., Shooting, Kills 32-Year-Old Sechelt Man Khan Michael Bourne

    Homicide investigators in Metro Vancouver say a 32-year-old Sechelt, B.C., man is the latest victim of a targeted shooting in Surrey.  

    Latest Targeted Surrey, B.C., Shooting, Kills 32-Year-Old Sechelt Man Khan Michael Bourne

    BC SPCA Searches For Person Who Left Day-Old Kittens In Vancouver Dumpster

    BC SPCA Searches For Person Who Left Day-Old Kittens In Vancouver Dumpster
    The society's senior animal protection officer, Eileen Drever, says the kittens were discovered Friday in a dumpster inside a secured parking area of a building in the city's West End.

    BC SPCA Searches For Person Who Left Day-Old Kittens In Vancouver Dumpster

    Surrey Man Arrested For Hateful ‘Pressure Cooker Bomb’ Comments On Facebook Following Vaisakhi Parade

    Mounties in Surrey, B.C., say a man has been arrested as they investigate an allegation that a hateful message was posted on social media.

    Surrey Man Arrested For Hateful ‘Pressure Cooker Bomb’ Comments On Facebook Following Vaisakhi Parade

    Three BC Sikhs Put On Secret Canadian No-Fly List; Disquiet In Community

    In what was seen as a paradigm shift of the Justin Trudeau-led Canadian Federal government towards advocates of Sikh radicals in Canada, three Canadian Sikh activists have been put on the no-fly list under the Secure Travel Act.  

    Three BC Sikhs Put On Secret Canadian No-Fly List; Disquiet In Community

    Youth Accused In Kingston, Ont., Terrorism Case Rearrested On New Charges

    An eastern Ontario teen already facing five charges related to an alleged terrorism plot has been rearrested after breaching his bail conditions, police and lawyers said Tuesday.

    Youth Accused In Kingston, Ont., Terrorism Case Rearrested On New Charges

    Bomb Threat Mars Provincial Voting In Prince Edward Island

    Bomb Threat Mars Provincial Voting In Prince Edward Island
    Voting at a polling station in Prince Edward Island province of Canada was suspended Tuesday afternoon due to a bomb threat, according to CTV.

    Bomb Threat Mars Provincial Voting In Prince Edward Island