Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Family Sues Marriott Chain After Father, Toddler Drowned At Montreal Hotel

    Family Sues Marriott Chain After Father, Toddler Drowned At Montreal Hotel
    William Tchouamou Ganjui and his two-year-old son Menelik fell into the deep end of the pool at the Residence Inn by Marriott in downtown Montreal in April 2016.    

    Family Sues Marriott Chain After Father, Toddler Drowned At Montreal Hotel

    Appeal Of Ruling Suspends Assault Trial For Ex-Afghanistan Hostage Joshua Boyle

    Boyle has pleaded not guilty in Ontario court to offences against his wife Caitlan Coleman, including assault, sexual assault and unlawful confinement.

    Appeal Of Ruling Suspends Assault Trial For Ex-Afghanistan Hostage Joshua Boyle

    Early Data Suggests No Post-Legalization Spike In Drug-Impaired Driving Charges

    Early Data Suggests No Post-Legalization Spike In Drug-Impaired Driving Charges
    VANCOUVER — Canadian police say they haven't been busting many more stoned drivers six months after legalization, but they are reminding drivers to keep cannabis out of reach.

    Early Data Suggests No Post-Legalization Spike In Drug-Impaired Driving Charges

    Doc Who Sexually Assaulted Sedated Patients 'Not Credible:' Parole Board Says

    Doc Who Sexually Assaulted Sedated Patients 'Not Credible:' Parole Board Says
    In written reasons released this week, the board repeatedly noted that Dr. George Doodnaught showed little insight into his crimes committed at a north Toronto hospital.    

    Doc Who Sexually Assaulted Sedated Patients 'Not Credible:' Parole Board Says

    'We Want To Be Good Neighbours:' Pot Plant Deals With Stink At Edmonton Airport

    'We Want To Be Good Neighbours:' Pot Plant Deals With Stink At Edmonton Airport
    Aurora Cannabis, the company that operates the facility, is going to great lengths to mitigate any pot odour wafting over to the airport, as well as local hotels and outlet stores.  

    'We Want To Be Good Neighbours:' Pot Plant Deals With Stink At Edmonton Airport

    B.C. Sikh Men Put on Canada's Secret No-Fly List, Challenge Its Constitutionality In Court

    B.C. Sikh Men Put on Canada's Secret No-Fly List, Challenge Its Constitutionality In Court
    It is viewed as the Trudeau-led federal government’s “attempt to appease” the Narendra Modi-led Indian government post Canadian PM’s controversial February 2018 Indian sojourn.

    B.C. Sikh Men Put on Canada's Secret No-Fly List, Challenge Its Constitutionality In Court