Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Officer Tells Of Finding Body At Trial For B.C. Dad Accused Of Killing Daughters

    Officer Tells Of Finding Body At Trial For B.C. Dad Accused Of Killing Daughters
    Const. Piotr Ulanowski testified at the start of the trial for Andrew Berry, who has pleaded not guilty to the second-degree murder of his daughters Chloe Berry, 6, and Aubrey Berry, 4.

    Officer Tells Of Finding Body At Trial For B.C. Dad Accused Of Killing Daughters

    Flooding Fears Persist In Quebec Town After Worst Deluge In 48 Years

    BEAUCEVILLE, Que. — A Quebec town that this week suffered its worst flooding in nearly 50 years is fearing more damage as rain is forecast in the coming days.

    Flooding Fears Persist In Quebec Town After Worst Deluge In 48 Years

    Three Boys Facing Murder Charge After Teen Found Dead In Car In Hamilton

    Three Boys Facing Murder Charge After Teen Found Dead In Car In Hamilton
    Three boys are facing a first-degree murder charge in the death of a 17-year-old whose body was found in a car in a wooded area in Hamilton, police said Tuesday.

    Three Boys Facing Murder Charge After Teen Found Dead In Car In Hamilton

    Closing Illegal Pot Shops An Uphill Battle Until Demand Is Met, Say Authorities

    TORONTO — In the weeks before cannabis became legal across Canada, Toronto's once booming network of weed retailers all but disappeared.

    Closing Illegal Pot Shops An Uphill Battle Until Demand Is Met, Say Authorities

    Neha Kakkar Live In Vancouver: WATCH All The Show Highlights

    India's 'Singing Queen' NEHA KAKKAR performed LIVE In Vancouver at Queen Elizabeth Theatre In A SOLD OUT show.

    Neha Kakkar Live In Vancouver: WATCH All The Show Highlights

    See Pics, VIDEOS: Vancouver Celebrates A Colourful And Joyful Vaisakhi

    See Pics, VIDEOS: Vancouver Celebrates A Colourful And Joyful Vaisakhi
    Hundreds of thousands came out to celebrate the harvest festival that also marks the New Year and the birth of the Khalsa in 1699.

    See Pics, VIDEOS: Vancouver Celebrates A Colourful And Joyful Vaisakhi