Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

360 Impaired Drivers Taken Off Of Vancouver Roads This Summer, Police Say

Darpan News Desk, 13 Aug, 2019 06:58 PM

    Vancouver Police have taken 360 impaired drivers off of Vancouver roads during this year’s summer CounterAttack campaign — 100 more impaired drivers than last year.


    An increase in officers for this year’s roadblocks, which ran from late June to early August, may have contributed to the increase in numbers, but it is also an indication that impaired driving remains a problem on our roads.


    “Roadblocks can be anywhere. If you drive stoned or drunk, you are putting yourself and others at risk, and the chance of getting caught is very likely,” says Sergeant Jason Robillard. “Some people just aren’t getting the message that impaired driving just isn’t worth it.”


    Of the 360 drivers taken off the roads this past month, 116 drivers were issued roadside suspensions and 244 were issued with immediate roadside prohibitions. Twelve Criminal Code impaired driving charges have also been recommended to Crown counsel.


    CounterAttack road blocks are a partnership between VPD and the Insurance Corporation of B.C., with a mandate to promote safe driving and take impaired motorists off the road. Impaired driving remains one of the leading causes of traffic fatalities in B.C., and it is entirely preventable.


    Anyone who spots an impaired driver is asked to call 9-1-1 immediately.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    New Commemorative Loonie Recognizing Gay 'Equality' Sparks Concern

    OTTAWA — A new commemorative loonie to be unveiled next week is sparking concern among academics and advocates who fear it could perpetuate myths about Canada's treatment of lesbian, gay, transgender, queer and two spirited persons.

    New Commemorative Loonie Recognizing Gay 'Equality' Sparks Concern

    Penticton, B.C., Man Faces Three First-Degree, One Second-Degree Murder Charge

    A 60-year-old Penticton, B.C., man has been charged with four counts of murder for shootings in two separate areas of the south Okanagan city on Monday.

    Penticton, B.C., Man Faces Three First-Degree, One Second-Degree Murder Charge

    Vancouver Park Board Urges Pot Event Organizers To Cancel 4-20 Rap Event

    Vancouver Park Board Urges Pot Event Organizers To Cancel 4-20 Rap Event
    The Vancouver Park Board has passed a motion asking organizers of an annual marijuana festival to cancel a recently announced headline act, fearing the performance could draw even more people to the unsanctioned event.

    Vancouver Park Board Urges Pot Event Organizers To Cancel 4-20 Rap Event

    Montreal Sikh Teen Who Dreams Of Joining Police Vows To Fight Quebec’s Religious-Symbols Ban

    Bill banning donning of religious symbols by public servants to affect Sikhs, Muslims the most

    Montreal Sikh Teen Who Dreams Of Joining Police Vows To Fight Quebec’s Religious-Symbols Ban

    Crown Wraps Up Closing Arguments In British Columbia Child Bride Case

    Crown Wraps Up Closing Arguments In British Columbia Child Bride Case
    Special prosecutor Peter Wilson argued that the Crown doesn't have to prove that sexual activity took place between the girl and the man she married.

    Crown Wraps Up Closing Arguments In British Columbia Child Bride Case

    Crown Won'T Pursue Charges Against 14 Pipeline Opponents In Northern B.C.

    Crown Won'T Pursue Charges Against 14 Pipeline Opponents In Northern B.C.
    The prosecution service says in a statement submitted to the B.C. Supreme Court in Prince George that the cases were referred to it for potential prosecution of criminal contempt on Feb. 4.

    Crown Won'T Pursue Charges Against 14 Pipeline Opponents In Northern B.C.