Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Sep, 2024 04:08 PM
  • Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Premier David Eby says new account control measures for young Instagram users introduced Tuesday by social media giant Meta are the "minimum" expected of tech companies to keep kids safe online. 

The parent company of Instagram says users in Canada and elsewhere under 18 will have their accounts set to private by default starting Tuesday, restricting who can send messages, among other parental controls and settings.

Speaking at an unrelated event Tuesday, Eby says the province began talks with social media companies after threatening legislation that would put big tech companies on the hook for "significant potential damages" if they were found negligent in failing to keep kids safe from online predators. 

Eby says the case of Carson Cleland, a 12-year-old from Prince George, B.C., who took his own life last year after being targeted by a predator on Snapchat, was "horrific and totally preventable." 

He says social media apps are "nothing special," and should be held to the same child safety standards as anyone who operates a place that invites young people, whether it's an amusement park, a playground or an online platform. 

In a progress report released Tuesday about the province's engagement with big tech companies including Google, Meta, TikTok, Spapchat and X, formerly known as Twitter, the provincial government says the companies are implementing changes, including a "trusted flagger" option to quickly remove intimate images. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Truce extended in Gaza, raising hopes for further extensions

Truce extended in Gaza, raising hopes for further extensions
More humanitarian aid is expected to flow into Gaza over the next two days after Israel and Hamas extended a four-day ceasefire that was set to expire last night. The original truce allowed hundreds of trucks to deliver desperately needed food, water and medical supplies to hundreds of thousands of Palestinians who have endured weeks of Israeli siege and bombardment.

Truce extended in Gaza, raising hopes for further extensions

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas
The mother and stepfather of six-year-old Dontay Lucas have pleaded guilty to his manslaughter, more than five years after the boy was found in medical distress in the woman's home in Port Alberni, B.C. RCMP originally charged Rykel Frank — also known as Rykel Charleson — and Mitchell Frank with first-degree murder last year in relation to the boy's March 2018 death. 

B.C. mother, stepdad plead guilty to manslaughter in death of 6-year-old Dontay Lucas

Hiker rescued after nine hours stranded on B.C.'s Mount Seymour

Hiker rescued after nine hours stranded on B.C.'s Mount Seymour
Search and rescue crews in British Columbia found a hiker who was stranded for nine hours after sliding down the side of Mount Seymour in North Vancouver. Mounties say they were called Sunday evening after group of hikers were out for their first trip together and realized one of their members had not returned with them. 

Hiker rescued after nine hours stranded on B.C.'s Mount Seymour

Grieving B.C. parents warn of 'predators' after sextortion suicide of son, aged 12

Grieving B.C. parents warn of 'predators' after sextortion suicide of son, aged 12
Parents of a 12-year-old boy who killed himself last month after falling prey to online sextortion are urging others to talk to their kids to make sure they don't also become victims of internet "predators." Mounties in Prince George issued a statement Monday, more than six weeks after the boy died, to warn parents about the risks youth face on the internet. 

Grieving B.C. parents warn of 'predators' after sextortion suicide of son, aged 12

B.C. in court against pharma companies bid to certify opioid class-action lawsuit

B.C. in court against pharma companies bid to certify opioid class-action lawsuit
Reidar Mogerman, a lawyer for the B.C. government, told Justice Michael Brundrett on Monday the court should approve a class made of governments saddled with health-care costs related to the opioid crisis that has killed or injured thousands of Canadians.   

B.C. in court against pharma companies bid to certify opioid class-action lawsuit

AG blames B.C. Conservatives after SOGI protest tractor crash, IIO investigates

AG blames B.C. Conservatives after SOGI protest tractor crash, IIO investigates
The police watchdog is investigating a B.C. highway chase involving a tractor flying a protest banner against sexual orientation and gender identity programs in schools, something the province's attorney general called a "fringe" and "hateful" issue inflamed by the B.C. Conservatives. Surrey police said Sunday that one person was taken into custody after the tractor crashed with a cruiser and rolled on Highway 1.

AG blames B.C. Conservatives after SOGI protest tractor crash, IIO investigates