Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Sep, 2024 04:08 PM
  • Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Premier David Eby says new account control measures for young Instagram users introduced Tuesday by social media giant Meta are the "minimum" expected of tech companies to keep kids safe online. 

The parent company of Instagram says users in Canada and elsewhere under 18 will have their accounts set to private by default starting Tuesday, restricting who can send messages, among other parental controls and settings.

Speaking at an unrelated event Tuesday, Eby says the province began talks with social media companies after threatening legislation that would put big tech companies on the hook for "significant potential damages" if they were found negligent in failing to keep kids safe from online predators. 

Eby says the case of Carson Cleland, a 12-year-old from Prince George, B.C., who took his own life last year after being targeted by a predator on Snapchat, was "horrific and totally preventable." 

He says social media apps are "nothing special," and should be held to the same child safety standards as anyone who operates a place that invites young people, whether it's an amusement park, a playground or an online platform. 

In a progress report released Tuesday about the province's engagement with big tech companies including Google, Meta, TikTok, Spapchat and X, formerly known as Twitter, the provincial government says the companies are implementing changes, including a "trusted flagger" option to quickly remove intimate images. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education

Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education
The latest labour market survey for British Columbia says 75 per cent of the one million jobs needed over the next decade will require some level of post-secondary education or training.  The survey says about 650,000 of the openings will be to replace those leaving the workforce, while the rest will be created through economic growth. 

Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education

Darpan's 10 with Surrey Police Service Chief Constable Norm Lipinski

Darpan's 10 with Surrey Police Service Chief Constable Norm Lipinski
Hear from SPS Chief Constable Norm Lipinski on policing, public safety, and policing plans for Surrey in 2024. 

Darpan's 10 with Surrey Police Service Chief Constable Norm Lipinski

Liberals accuse Poilievre of 'riling' up Canadians in border crash comments

Liberals accuse Poilievre of 'riling' up Canadians in border crash comments
The Opposition leader presented what he called "common sense Conservative measures" during a news conference at a Toronto synagogue, which would include re-evaluating Canada's terrorism threat level and creating an anti-hate network for faith communities. Jewish Canadians have reported a sharp rise in antisemitism and violence against synagogues and schools since Hamas militants killed 1,200 people, including hundreds of civilians, in Israel on Oct. 7.  

Liberals accuse Poilievre of 'riling' up Canadians in border crash comments

Hamas hostage deal 'progress' but long-term peace needs 'many more steps': Trudeau

Hamas hostage deal 'progress' but long-term peace needs 'many more steps': Trudeau
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is still rejecting demands for Canada to call for a full ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war, but he says a deal to temporarily halt hostilities this week so Hamas can release hostages represents progress. Trudeau says the world needs a lasting peace in the region, including a two-state solution.  

Hamas hostage deal 'progress' but long-term peace needs 'many more steps': Trudeau

Richmond man faces multiple charges in $10M cryptocurrency home invasion theft

Richmond man faces multiple charges in $10M cryptocurrency home invasion theft
Richmond RCMP say the "lengthy and complex investigation" began after thieves impersonating police officers broke into a home and tied up a middle-aged couple, assaulting them and confining them for hours. Mounties say the armed suspects made off with $10 million in unspecified cryptocurrency and luxury goods, leaving the "badly shaken up" victims with non-life-threatening injuries.

Richmond man faces multiple charges in $10M cryptocurrency home invasion theft

B.C. energy minister's dropped memo ends up in hands of Opposition BC United

B.C. energy minister's dropped memo ends up in hands of Opposition BC United
Energy Minister Josie Osborne admitted she is the author of the memo which the BC United party says shows the New Democrat government "panicking" about growing opposition to the provincial carbon tax. Osborne says the memo is a copy of notes she made Wednesday about possible ideas for the government's February budget following discussions she had with an adviser who she refuses to name.  

B.C. energy minister's dropped memo ends up in hands of Opposition BC United