Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Sep, 2024 04:08 PM
  • Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Premier David Eby says new account control measures for young Instagram users introduced Tuesday by social media giant Meta are the "minimum" expected of tech companies to keep kids safe online. 

The parent company of Instagram says users in Canada and elsewhere under 18 will have their accounts set to private by default starting Tuesday, restricting who can send messages, among other parental controls and settings.

Speaking at an unrelated event Tuesday, Eby says the province began talks with social media companies after threatening legislation that would put big tech companies on the hook for "significant potential damages" if they were found negligent in failing to keep kids safe from online predators. 

Eby says the case of Carson Cleland, a 12-year-old from Prince George, B.C., who took his own life last year after being targeted by a predator on Snapchat, was "horrific and totally preventable." 

He says social media apps are "nothing special," and should be held to the same child safety standards as anyone who operates a place that invites young people, whether it's an amusement park, a playground or an online platform. 

In a progress report released Tuesday about the province's engagement with big tech companies including Google, Meta, TikTok, Spapchat and X, formerly known as Twitter, the provincial government says the companies are implementing changes, including a "trusted flagger" option to quickly remove intimate images. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Eby says governments must step up on housing, can't rely on private sector

Eby says governments must step up on housing, can't rely on private sector
British Columbia Premier David Eby says it's "hard to understand" why other politicians still believe in relying on the private sector to deliver affordable housing and instead it's time for governments to step up. Eby says there are proposals at the federal level to sell public land and buildings to help solve the crisis, but B.C. is doing the opposite by taking inventory of provincially and municipally owned land in order to build more homes.

Eby says governments must step up on housing, can't rely on private sector

Victoria Police warn pedestrians of cougar roaming near downtown

Victoria Police warn pedestrians of cougar roaming near downtown
Police are warning pedestrians about an adult cougar roaming near downtown Victoria, telling them to avoid the area this morning. Victoria Police say on social media the cougar was spotted near Jutland Road and Dunedin Street, near the Victoria waterfront and north of the downtown core.

Victoria Police warn pedestrians of cougar roaming near downtown

Charges stayed against teen brothers in shooting that left one dead, two injured

Charges stayed against teen brothers in shooting that left one dead, two injured
The Crown has stayed charges against two teenage brothers in a Calgary shooting that left one man dead and two others injured last week. A 14-year-old boy, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, had been charged with one count of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder.

Charges stayed against teen brothers in shooting that left one dead, two injured

Canadians to get update on federal finances, new housing measures in budget update

Canadians to get update on federal finances, new housing measures in budget update
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland is set to present the traditional fall update on Canada's finances — a fiscal blueprint that's expected to include measures aimed at getting more homes built. A senior government official, whom The Canadian Press is not naming because they were not authorized to share details publicly, confirmed Monday that several housing policies would be part of Tuesday's fiscal update.  

Canadians to get update on federal finances, new housing measures in budget update

Ibrahim Ali's lawyers call no evidence in B.C. murder trial

Ibrahim Ali's lawyers call no evidence in B.C. murder trial
Ibrahim Ali's lawyers have told the jury in his first-degree murder trial they will not be calling any evidence in defence of allegations he sexually assaulted and killed a 13-year-old girl in Burnaby, B.C.   

Ibrahim Ali's lawyers call no evidence in B.C. murder trial

Canada awaiting news of possible deal between Israel, Hamas to release hostages: Joly

Canada awaiting news of possible deal between Israel, Hamas to release hostages: Joly
The temporary ceasefire deal could bring the first pause in fighting in a devastating six-week war. The conflict started Oct. 7 when Hamas militants killed an estimated 1,200 people in Israel and captured roughly 240 hostages.

Canada awaiting news of possible deal between Israel, Hamas to release hostages: Joly