Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Agreement Allows Police In Vancouver Pride Parade, But Changes Will Be Made

The Canadian Press, 19 May, 2017 11:45 AM
    VANCOUVER — The Vancouver Police Department says its members will walk in the city's Pride parade this year.
     
    The department says representatives have been in discussion with groups including the Vancouver Pride Society and police officers will be allowed to take part, although some changes will be made.
     
    A department news release says no marked police vehicles will be included in the 2017 parade and officers will walk as part of the City of Vancouver's entry, along with city staff and members of Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services.
     
    About 80 per cent of the department's Pride contingent will walk in T-shirts, while another 20 per cent will be in uniform. 
     
    The department has also agreed to participate in listening circles arranged by the Pride Society, allowing community members to share their stories with police.
     
    The changes follow requests from parade organizations across Canada that police not attend their annual events and Toronto Pride voted earlier this year to remove police floats and uniformed officers from their event.
     
    "Our members and volunteers look forward to participating in the Pride parade each year, and we're pleased that we can keep that tradition going," says department spokesman Staff Sgt. Randy Fincham.
     
    Supporting Vancouver's LGBTQ2S+ community goes beyond the parade and police will continue with outreach, education, and awareness efforts year-round, he says.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. HIV/AIDS Researcher Julio Montaner Among Winners Of $100,000 Killam Prize

    OTTAWA — Leading HIV/AIDS researcher Julio Montaner is among a group of scientists, writers, doctors and researchers receiving a prestigious prize for brilliant work in fields including health sciences, engineering and humanities.

    B.C. HIV/AIDS Researcher Julio Montaner Among Winners Of $100,000 Killam Prize

    Harjit Sajjan Pulls Out Of Fundraiser For Veterans Amid Afghan Battle Controversy

    Sajjan was supposed to speak at the 8th annual "To the 'Stan and Back" event tonight, but organizer Cheri Elliott says she was told a scheduling conflict had arisen and the defence minister would not be able to attend.

    Harjit Sajjan Pulls Out Of Fundraiser For Veterans Amid Afghan Battle Controversy

    Aftershocks Still Rumbling Following 6.2 Quake That Jolted Yukon, Northwest B.C.

    Aftershocks Still Rumbling Following 6.2 Quake That Jolted Yukon, Northwest B.C.
    Earthquakes Canada also reported a 4.5 magnitude quake jolted the Carcross region, about 75 kilometres south of Whitehorse on Tuesday morning.

    Aftershocks Still Rumbling Following 6.2 Quake That Jolted Yukon, Northwest B.C.

    Liberals Back Down On Parliamentary Changes, But Closure Will Be Cost: Bardish Chagger

    Liberals Back Down On Parliamentary Changes, But Closure Will Be Cost: Bardish Chagger
    OTTAWA — Government House leader Bardish Chagger is putting her opposition colleagues on notice that the Liberals will be invoking closure on debate in the Commons a lot more often.

    Liberals Back Down On Parliamentary Changes, But Closure Will Be Cost: Bardish Chagger

    Strong 6.2 Quake, Multiple Aftershocks, Jolt Parts Of Yukon And Northwest B.C.

    Strong 6.2 Quake, Multiple Aftershocks, Jolt Parts Of Yukon And Northwest B.C.
    WHITEHORSE — Dozens of aftershocks rattled parts of southern Yukon and northern British Columbia after a strong earthquake shook the area Monday morning.

    Strong 6.2 Quake, Multiple Aftershocks, Jolt Parts Of Yukon And Northwest B.C.

    2 Alberta Men Died In Tofino Fish Boat Sinking Off B.C.'s West Coast: RCMP

    2 Alberta Men Died In Tofino Fish Boat Sinking Off B.C.'s West Coast: RCMP
    The Mounties say the men are 32 and 42 years old, but their names and hometowns haven't yet be released.

    2 Alberta Men Died In Tofino Fish Boat Sinking Off B.C.'s West Coast: RCMP