Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Agreement Allows Police In Vancouver Pride Parade, But Changes Will Be Made

The Canadian Press, 19 May, 2017 11:45 AM
    VANCOUVER — The Vancouver Police Department says its members will walk in the city's Pride parade this year.
     
    The department says representatives have been in discussion with groups including the Vancouver Pride Society and police officers will be allowed to take part, although some changes will be made.
     
    A department news release says no marked police vehicles will be included in the 2017 parade and officers will walk as part of the City of Vancouver's entry, along with city staff and members of Vancouver Fire and Rescue Services.
     
    About 80 per cent of the department's Pride contingent will walk in T-shirts, while another 20 per cent will be in uniform. 
     
    The department has also agreed to participate in listening circles arranged by the Pride Society, allowing community members to share their stories with police.
     
    The changes follow requests from parade organizations across Canada that police not attend their annual events and Toronto Pride voted earlier this year to remove police floats and uniformed officers from their event.
     
    "Our members and volunteers look forward to participating in the Pride parade each year, and we're pleased that we can keep that tradition going," says department spokesman Staff Sgt. Randy Fincham.
     
    Supporting Vancouver's LGBTQ2S+ community goes beyond the parade and police will continue with outreach, education, and awareness efforts year-round, he says.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Quebec Police Watchdog Investigating After Man Dies In Police Custody

    LONGUEUIL, Que. — Quebec's police watchdog agency is looking into the death of a 24-year-old man who died in police custody in northern Quebec on Friday night.

    Quebec Police Watchdog Investigating After Man Dies In Police Custody

    Harjit Sajjan Issues Facebook Apology For Falsely Claiming He Was Architect Of Operation Medusa

    Harjit Sajjan Issues Facebook Apology For Falsely Claiming He Was Architect Of Operation Medusa
    The Federal Defence Minister Said In A Facebook Post That He Had Made A Mistake By Describing Himself As The Architect Of Operation Medusa, In Which 12 Canadian Soldiers Died.

    Harjit Sajjan Issues Facebook Apology For Falsely Claiming He Was Architect Of Operation Medusa

    Woman, 2 Children Dead After Crash On Lougheed Highway In Coquitlam: RCMP

    Woman, 2 Children Dead After Crash On Lougheed Highway In Coquitlam: RCMP
    Investigators say the accident happened early Friday night on the Lougheed Highway just east of Vancouver.

    Woman, 2 Children Dead After Crash On Lougheed Highway In Coquitlam: RCMP

    B.C. Breaks Record For Daily Overdose Ambulance Calls, 29% Increase Last Week, With Eight Deaths

    B.C. Breaks Record For Daily Overdose Ambulance Calls, 29% Increase Last Week, With Eight Deaths
    VANCOUVER — New numbers from health officials and first responders in British Columbia confirm a provincewide drug overdose crisis shows no sign of abating.

    B.C. Breaks Record For Daily Overdose Ambulance Calls, 29% Increase Last Week, With Eight Deaths

    B.C. Drunk Driver Samuel Alec Gets Over Eight Years For Killing Three People Near Pemberton

    B.C. Drunk Driver Samuel Alec Gets Over Eight Years For Killing Three People Near Pemberton
    VANCOUVER — A British Columbia man who killed three people while driving drunk along a winding mountain highway has been sentenced to eight years and four months in prison.

    B.C. Drunk Driver Samuel Alec Gets Over Eight Years For Killing Three People Near Pemberton

    Former Sally Ann Executive Found Guilty Of Selling Donations To Black Market

    Former Sally Ann Executive Found Guilty Of Selling Donations To Black Market
    TORONTO — A former Salvation Army executive diverted truckloads of donations received by the charity to the black market as part of scheme to make money, a Toronto court has ruled.

    Former Sally Ann Executive Found Guilty Of Selling Donations To Black Market