Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Airstrikes on aid workers don't 'just happen,' Trudeau says after Netanyahu comments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Apr, 2024 10:13 AM
  • Airstrikes on aid workers don't 'just happen,' Trudeau says after Netanyahu comments

Attacks on aid workers are not just something that happens in war, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Thursday, slamming Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's defence of a deadly airstrike on aid workers in central Gaza on April 1.

Canadian Army veteran Jacob Flickinger, 33, was among those killed while delivering food aid for World Central Kitchen.

Netanyahu said Wednesday the blasts were a tragic accident that will be investigated — but also a consequence of armed conflict.

"This happens in war," Netanyahu said.

At a news conference in Winnipeg Thursday, Trudeau said he had to "directly take issue" with those comments.

"No, it doesn't just happen," Trudeau said. "And it shouldn't just happen when you have aid workers for an extraordinary organization like World Central Kitchen risking their lives every day in an incredibly dangerous place to deliver food to people who are experiencing a horrific humanitarian catastrophe."

World Central Kitchen is demanding a full independent investigation into the attack that killed its workers, including Flickinger, a Palestinian driver, and citizens of Australia, Poland and the United Kingdom. 

They were in a clearly marked aid convoy after delivering 100 tonnes of food to a warehouse in central Gaza when they were hit.

Trudeau said a "fully open, transparent, independent and rapid investigation" is absolutely required.

But he said a ceasefire and a massive influx of humanitarian support is also critical.

"The reality is we need much more humanitarian support to flow into Gaza, much more protection of civilians, of innocents and of aid workers," he said. 

"That's why we need a humanitarian ceasefire. We need for Hamas to lay down its arms. We need for the hostages to be released, and we need a ceasefire to allow this humanitarian catastrophe to end as quickly as possible."

International reaction to the deadly airstrikes has been swift and biting at a time when Israel was already facing sharp criticism for the humanitarian toll of its war in Gaza.

U.S. President Joe Biden is scheduled to speak by phone with Netanyahu Thursday. The U.S. has been one of Israel's biggest defenders and earlier this week approved the transfer of additional bombs to the Israeli military.

But Biden has been getting increasingly frustrated with Israel over the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza, including the limited aid Israel is allowing in and the growing death toll of civilians. On Tuesday he said he was "outraged and heartbroken" over the latest aid worker deaths.

"This conflict has been one of the worst in recent memory in terms of how many aid workers have been killed," he said.

World Central Kitchen founder José Andrés has a friendship with the Bidens and cooked meals at the White House when president Barack Obama was in office. 

Andrés rejects Israel's assertion that it was an accidental attack, saying the charity had clear communication with Israel about when and where the aid workers would be moving.

He said Israel's right to defend itself does not extend to killing innocent people.

Jonathan Duguay, a close friend of Flickinger who was working in Cyprus for World Central Kitchen at the time of the attack, told The Canadian Press in an interview that Flickinger wasn't afraid because the aid deliveries were co-ordinated with Israel's assistance.

"We had an agreement with the IDF," said Duguay. "There was a special route. They knew where we were."

Herzi Halevi, the Israel Defence Force chief of staff, said Wednesday he had received a preliminary report on the strike and insisted the aid workers were not intentionally targeted.

"I want to be very clear — the strike was not carried out with the intention of harming WCK aid workers. It was a mistake that followed a misidentification — at night during a war in very complex conditions. It shouldn’t have happened."

Halevi said World Central Kitchen does important work in difficult conditions and said Israel is "taking immediate actions to ensure that more is done to protect humanitarian aid workers."

"This incident was a grave mistake," Halevi told reporters in a televised address in Israel.

"Israel is at war with Hamas, not with the people of Gaza. We are sorry for the unintentional harm to the members of WCK. We share in the grief of their families, as well as the entire World Central Kitchen organization, from the bottom of our hearts."

MORE National ARTICLES

Edmin Singh charged in Victoria arsons

Edmin Singh charged in Victoria arsons
Victoria police say the man was arrested on Sunday after a lengthy investigation by the force's major crimes section.  They say 42-year-old Edwin Singh now faces four counts of arson in connection with four fires this summer, three of which occurred on Government Street in Victoria in June and July and one in Saanich in mid-August. 

Edmin Singh charged in Victoria arsons

The grass that's greener in drought-stricken B.C. might have been painted

The grass that's greener in drought-stricken B.C. might have been painted
Lawn watering was prohibited in Metro Vancouver's 23 local authority regions on Aug. 4, with the ban in place until Oct.15. Some homeowners are looking for alternatives including spray-painting or artificial turf, but others are embracing the golden look.  

The grass that's greener in drought-stricken B.C. might have been painted

Man dead in Revelstoke, IIO investigating

Man dead in Revelstoke, IIO investigating
BC's police watchdog is investigating the death of a man who was shot by an officer in Revelstoke. R-C-M-P say it happened Sunday night after they responded to a call about a stolen vehicle.  

Man dead in Revelstoke, IIO investigating

Canada's first case of new COVID variant is detected in B.C.

Canada's first case of new COVID variant is detected in B.C.
The BC Centre for Disease Control has detected Canada's first known case of a new COVID-19 variant that has swiftly circled the globe and is being monitored by the World Health Organization. The centre said the BA. 2.86 variant of the Omicron strain was identified in a person from the Fraser Health region who hadn't recently been outside the province.

Canada's first case of new COVID variant is detected in B.C.

PNE bids farewell to its 6 decades old Amphitheatre

PNE bids farewell to its 6 decades old Amphitheatre
The P-N-E Amphitheatre is shutting its doors after almost 60 years in operation, making way for the construction of a new facility scheduled to open in 2026. A statement from the Pacific National Exhibition says the last show at the venue will be a Blue Rodeo concert on Labour Day, with one show scheduled for each night this week leading up to September 4.

PNE bids farewell to its 6 decades old Amphitheatre

Housing market remains pricey

Housing market remains pricey
The B-C Real Estate Association says residential property prices in the province have risen despite a drop in sales this year, owing to low inventory on the market. The B-C-R-E-A says in its third quarter forecast that home sales in the province through Multiple Listing Service are expected to fall by 2.8 per cent this year to just over 78-thousand units.

Housing market remains pricey