Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Airstrikes on aid workers don't 'just happen,' Trudeau says after Netanyahu comments

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Apr, 2024 10:13 AM
  • Airstrikes on aid workers don't 'just happen,' Trudeau says after Netanyahu comments

Attacks on aid workers are not just something that happens in war, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Thursday, slamming Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's defence of a deadly airstrike on aid workers in central Gaza on April 1.

Canadian Army veteran Jacob Flickinger, 33, was among those killed while delivering food aid for World Central Kitchen.

Netanyahu said Wednesday the blasts were a tragic accident that will be investigated — but also a consequence of armed conflict.

"This happens in war," Netanyahu said.

At a news conference in Winnipeg Thursday, Trudeau said he had to "directly take issue" with those comments.

"No, it doesn't just happen," Trudeau said. "And it shouldn't just happen when you have aid workers for an extraordinary organization like World Central Kitchen risking their lives every day in an incredibly dangerous place to deliver food to people who are experiencing a horrific humanitarian catastrophe."

World Central Kitchen is demanding a full independent investigation into the attack that killed its workers, including Flickinger, a Palestinian driver, and citizens of Australia, Poland and the United Kingdom. 

They were in a clearly marked aid convoy after delivering 100 tonnes of food to a warehouse in central Gaza when they were hit.

Trudeau said a "fully open, transparent, independent and rapid investigation" is absolutely required.

But he said a ceasefire and a massive influx of humanitarian support is also critical.

"The reality is we need much more humanitarian support to flow into Gaza, much more protection of civilians, of innocents and of aid workers," he said. 

"That's why we need a humanitarian ceasefire. We need for Hamas to lay down its arms. We need for the hostages to be released, and we need a ceasefire to allow this humanitarian catastrophe to end as quickly as possible."

International reaction to the deadly airstrikes has been swift and biting at a time when Israel was already facing sharp criticism for the humanitarian toll of its war in Gaza.

U.S. President Joe Biden is scheduled to speak by phone with Netanyahu Thursday. The U.S. has been one of Israel's biggest defenders and earlier this week approved the transfer of additional bombs to the Israeli military.

But Biden has been getting increasingly frustrated with Israel over the humanitarian catastrophe in Gaza, including the limited aid Israel is allowing in and the growing death toll of civilians. On Tuesday he said he was "outraged and heartbroken" over the latest aid worker deaths.

"This conflict has been one of the worst in recent memory in terms of how many aid workers have been killed," he said.

World Central Kitchen founder José Andrés has a friendship with the Bidens and cooked meals at the White House when president Barack Obama was in office. 

Andrés rejects Israel's assertion that it was an accidental attack, saying the charity had clear communication with Israel about when and where the aid workers would be moving.

He said Israel's right to defend itself does not extend to killing innocent people.

Jonathan Duguay, a close friend of Flickinger who was working in Cyprus for World Central Kitchen at the time of the attack, told The Canadian Press in an interview that Flickinger wasn't afraid because the aid deliveries were co-ordinated with Israel's assistance.

"We had an agreement with the IDF," said Duguay. "There was a special route. They knew where we were."

Herzi Halevi, the Israel Defence Force chief of staff, said Wednesday he had received a preliminary report on the strike and insisted the aid workers were not intentionally targeted.

"I want to be very clear — the strike was not carried out with the intention of harming WCK aid workers. It was a mistake that followed a misidentification — at night during a war in very complex conditions. It shouldn’t have happened."

Halevi said World Central Kitchen does important work in difficult conditions and said Israel is "taking immediate actions to ensure that more is done to protect humanitarian aid workers."

"This incident was a grave mistake," Halevi told reporters in a televised address in Israel.

"Israel is at war with Hamas, not with the people of Gaza. We are sorry for the unintentional harm to the members of WCK. We share in the grief of their families, as well as the entire World Central Kitchen organization, from the bottom of our hearts."

MORE National ARTICLES

Chief of small Okanagan, B.C., brigade says 13 firefighters lost own homes to blaze

Chief of small Okanagan, B.C., brigade says 13 firefighters lost own homes to blaze
The chief of a small rural fire department in B.C.'s Okanagan region says 13 members of his own crew have lost their homes while fighting wildfires this season. Wilson's Landing Fire Chief Paul Zydowicz says wildfires burning on the west side of Okanagan Lake have been a "nightmare" due their speed and intensity. 

Chief of small Okanagan, B.C., brigade says 13 firefighters lost own homes to blaze

China wants more Canada flights after COVID-19 turbulence, despite tour-group ban

China wants more Canada flights after COVID-19 turbulence, despite tour-group ban
Beijing and Ottawa are in talks over how to increase flights between China and Canada, following an American deal in June. Transport Canada says the weekly number of flights between the two countries has dropped drastically, from more than one hundred per week in the summer of 2019 to just 10 this season.

China wants more Canada flights after COVID-19 turbulence, despite tour-group ban

Trudeau in Okanagan to meet firefighters, as final travel ban lifted for Kelowna area

Trudeau in Okanagan to meet firefighters, as final travel ban lifted for Kelowna area
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is in the Okanagan in the BC Interior to meet with firefighters, volunteers, and officials involved in the region's wildfire fight. Trudeau's visit comes after the last travel restriction of the Okanagan was lifted, alongside all previous evacuation orders within the city of Kelowna, with wildfires diminishing since after recent rainfall. 

Trudeau in Okanagan to meet firefighters, as final travel ban lifted for Kelowna area

Home invasion in Fort Nelson

Home invasion in Fort Nelson
A 36-year-old man is in custody after an alleged home invasion in Fort Nelson left a homeowner with serious but non-life-threatening injuries. Mounties say they received reports of the incident on Wednesday night, when the attacker reportedly entered a home on Boundary Road and took keys from a rack.

Home invasion in Fort Nelson

Parked vehicles damaged in Coquitlam

Parked vehicles damaged in Coquitlam
Coquitlam R-C-M-P say they are looking for additional victims and video evidence after a man damaged a number of parked vehicles in the Maillardville neighbourhood. Police say the male suspect was arrested Tuesday night after reports surfaced of someone damaging parked cars between 10 p-m and 11:30 p-m.

Parked vehicles damaged in Coquitlam

Protesters attempt to bypass RCMP wildfire blockade near Shuswap

Protesters attempt to bypass RCMP wildfire blockade near Shuswap
Protesters have tried to bypass an RCMP blockade on the Trans-Canada Highway in British Columbia's Shuswap region, amid tensions over the refusal of some residents to obey wildfire evacuation orders. Live social media videos of the incident posted Wednesday evening show about 20 protesters confronting a blockade of police cars near the lakeside community of Sorrento.

Protesters attempt to bypass RCMP wildfire blockade near Shuswap