Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 May, 2025 01:30 PM
  • Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides said Monday the move was spurred by four graphic coming-of-age novels, most of which depict sexual LGBTQ+ content, found in circulation in Edmonton and Calgary public schools.

Nicolaides, speaking in Calgary, said a group of parents had approached him with concerns about the novels and government employees were sent to schools to confirm the books were available.

"These materials contain nudity and graphic explicit depictions of sexual acts and images, including oral sex," Nicolaides said, adding there was also concern about depictions of molestation, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, and derogatory language.

The novels are all by American authors: "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe, "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson and "Flamer" by Mike Curato.

Nicolaides said the government is developing new standards for school officials to determine the appropriateness of library materials. He said the province plans to have the new rules in place in time for the next school year. 

The government also launched an online survey on Monday to gather input from Albertans.

The survey, which is set to close June 6, features 13 questions, including how sexually explicit books should be handled and if parental consent should be required. It also asks who people think should be responsible for determining if a book is age appropriate, with suggested options of teachers, librarians, other school officials, parents or students.

The minister was adamant the government isn't embarking on a widespread book ban.

Nicolaides said the government is building missing guardrails, as there is no provincewide standard for determining age appropriateness.

"I want to be clear right from the onset — this is not a question of banning specific books or specific titles but rather establishing clear policies and guidelines for all school divisions to follow."

He said the government doesn't have the authority to ban books from schools.

“We want to ensure transparency for parents, so that they know what is available in their school library, and to have a process for complaints and concerns about book materials and other library materials.”

Nicolaides said the government's concerns are limited to graphic images and depictions of sexual activity. Themes and depictions of graphic violence are "probably not" an issue, he said.

"That's where I think we need to work to draw some of those lines."

When asked if he thinks new standards would see 2SLGBTQ+ specific content prohibited, Nicolaides said he didn't think so.

"This is not related to any kind of particular subject area," he said.

"If there was a book on astrophysics that had graphic sexual content, I would have the exact same concerns."

In a joint statement, trustees from the Edmonton and Calgary public school divisions said the government's announcement came as a "complete surprise," as no concerns had been raised before.

"Both our divisions follow established, rigorous processes to ensure that library resources are age appropriate and relevant for students," said the statement, adding both divisions have processes in place for parents and other members of the community to raise concerns about content.

Both divisions said they have pulled the four graphic novels in question from shelves while the content is reviewed. But a lack of communication from the government undermines the working relationship each has with the education ministry, said the statement.

The government said new rules developed would apply to public, separate, francophone, charter and independent schools but not municipal public libraries.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries
The company operating British Columbia's ferries says divers have recovered a propeller that fell off one of its vessels and triggered an oil spill earlier this week, but notes it will take six months to complete the needed repairs. A statement from BC Ferries says the propeller from the 60 year-old Queen of New Westminster -- which weighs about 4,500 kilograms -- was pulled from the seabed Saturday morning after two days of recovery work.

Repair work will keep 60-year-old ferry out of service for half a year: BC Ferries

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot
RCMP in British Columbia say they've found the family of a boy who was found barefoot and wandering alone in Whistler over the weekend. Mounties in Whistler say they responded to a report of an unaccompanied child, who they believed was about 12-years old, on Saturday night at Dairy Queen on Main Street.

Whistler RCMP tracks down family of child found alone and barefoot

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall
The union representing HandyDART workers in Metro Vancouver says it won't be getting a counterproposal to end the strike until at least Thursday. Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says officials from the employer Transdev left mediation talks at the Labour Board just after 8 p.m. Sunday to consider the union's latest proposal.

Mediated talks aimed at resolving Metro Vancouver accessible transit strike stall

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna
A 24-year-old woman faces a charge for what RCMP in Kelowna say was a home invasion where another woman was repeatedly stabbed. Officers responded to the call on Saturday and found a 28-year-old woman with life-threatening injuries after she had been stabbed several times. 

Woman charged in weekend home invasion, stabbing in Kelowna

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases
The federal government says Canada will challenge recent increases to softwood lumber duties by the United States. International Trade Minister Mary Ng says Canada has taken steps to launch two legal challenges under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement.

Canada launches legal challenges of U.S. softwood lumber duty increases

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou
Sources in the Official Opposition BC United party have leaked a file on the "extremism" of the B.C. Conservatives' executive director, Angelo Isidorou, less than two weeks after the parties' leaders announced a deal to work together.

BC United sources leak 'extremism' file on B.C. Conservatives' executive Isidorou