Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 May, 2025 01:30 PM
  • Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides said Monday the move was spurred by four graphic coming-of-age novels, most of which depict sexual LGBTQ+ content, found in circulation in Edmonton and Calgary public schools.

Nicolaides, speaking in Calgary, said a group of parents had approached him with concerns about the novels and government employees were sent to schools to confirm the books were available.

"These materials contain nudity and graphic explicit depictions of sexual acts and images, including oral sex," Nicolaides said, adding there was also concern about depictions of molestation, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, and derogatory language.

The novels are all by American authors: "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe, "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson and "Flamer" by Mike Curato.

Nicolaides said the government is developing new standards for school officials to determine the appropriateness of library materials. He said the province plans to have the new rules in place in time for the next school year. 

The government also launched an online survey on Monday to gather input from Albertans.

The survey, which is set to close June 6, features 13 questions, including how sexually explicit books should be handled and if parental consent should be required. It also asks who people think should be responsible for determining if a book is age appropriate, with suggested options of teachers, librarians, other school officials, parents or students.

The minister was adamant the government isn't embarking on a widespread book ban.

Nicolaides said the government is building missing guardrails, as there is no provincewide standard for determining age appropriateness.

"I want to be clear right from the onset — this is not a question of banning specific books or specific titles but rather establishing clear policies and guidelines for all school divisions to follow."

He said the government doesn't have the authority to ban books from schools.

“We want to ensure transparency for parents, so that they know what is available in their school library, and to have a process for complaints and concerns about book materials and other library materials.”

Nicolaides said the government's concerns are limited to graphic images and depictions of sexual activity. Themes and depictions of graphic violence are "probably not" an issue, he said.

"That's where I think we need to work to draw some of those lines."

When asked if he thinks new standards would see 2SLGBTQ+ specific content prohibited, Nicolaides said he didn't think so.

"This is not related to any kind of particular subject area," he said.

"If there was a book on astrophysics that had graphic sexual content, I would have the exact same concerns."

In a joint statement, trustees from the Edmonton and Calgary public school divisions said the government's announcement came as a "complete surprise," as no concerns had been raised before.

"Both our divisions follow established, rigorous processes to ensure that library resources are age appropriate and relevant for students," said the statement, adding both divisions have processes in place for parents and other members of the community to raise concerns about content.

Both divisions said they have pulled the four graphic novels in question from shelves while the content is reviewed. But a lack of communication from the government undermines the working relationship each has with the education ministry, said the statement.

The government said new rules developed would apply to public, separate, francophone, charter and independent schools but not municipal public libraries.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Peter Nygard sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault convictions

Peter Nygard sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault convictions
Former fashion mogul Peter Nygard is a "sexual predator" who showed no empathy for his victims, an Ontario judge said Monday as he sentenced the disgraced tycoon to 11 years in prison for his crimes in Toronto. The 83-year-old's time behind bars will work out to a little less than seven years after accounting for credit he received for time already spent in custody, and Nygard will be eligible to apply for parole in just over two years. 

Peter Nygard sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault convictions

Mark Carney to lead Liberal economic task force ahead of next election

Mark Carney to lead Liberal economic task force ahead of next election
Former Bank of Canada governor Mark Carney will chair a Liberal task force on economic growth. The appointment was announced as Liberal MPs gathered in Nanaimo, B.C. today to plot their strategy for the coming election year.

Mark Carney to lead Liberal economic task force ahead of next election

Air quality advisory issued in central, northeastern B.C. as wildfires persist

Air quality advisory issued in central, northeastern B.C. as wildfires persist
Wildfire smoke has prompted Environment Canada to issue an air-quality advisory for several regions in central and northeastern British Columbia. The weather office says pollution levels are either expected or occurring in the region, and are likely to persist for the next 24 to 48 hours.

Air quality advisory issued in central, northeastern B.C. as wildfires persist

Up to 600,000 Canadians now using federal dental-care program, health minister says

Up to 600,000 Canadians now using federal dental-care program, health minister says
Health Minister Mark Holland says more than four-fifths of dental providers are now participating in his government's dental-care program, and some 600,000 Canadians have taken advantage of it. The update comes a month after the minister touted a 75 per cent participation rate.

Up to 600,000 Canadians now using federal dental-care program, health minister says

Single vehicle collision in Delta

Single vehicle collision in Delta
Delta police say they are investigating a single vehicle collision that sent one person to hospital with serious injuries Sunday morning. James Sandberg, acting inspector with Delta Police, says officers responded to a call around 4 a.m. Saturday morning about a vehicle collision on Highway 17 where they found one person with serious injuries.

Single vehicle collision in Delta

Shopkeeper attacked in Vancouver

Shopkeeper attacked in Vancouver
Vancouver police say a shopkeeper was attacked while leaving work in east Vancouver Saturday night. V-P-D is praising three passersby who intervened and prevented the 23-year-old victim from being seriously injured.

Shopkeeper attacked in Vancouver