Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 May, 2025 01:30 PM
  • Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides said Monday the move was spurred by four graphic coming-of-age novels, most of which depict sexual LGBTQ+ content, found in circulation in Edmonton and Calgary public schools.

Nicolaides, speaking in Calgary, said a group of parents had approached him with concerns about the novels and government employees were sent to schools to confirm the books were available.

"These materials contain nudity and graphic explicit depictions of sexual acts and images, including oral sex," Nicolaides said, adding there was also concern about depictions of molestation, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, and derogatory language.

The novels are all by American authors: "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe, "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson and "Flamer" by Mike Curato.

Nicolaides said the government is developing new standards for school officials to determine the appropriateness of library materials. He said the province plans to have the new rules in place in time for the next school year. 

The government also launched an online survey on Monday to gather input from Albertans.

The survey, which is set to close June 6, features 13 questions, including how sexually explicit books should be handled and if parental consent should be required. It also asks who people think should be responsible for determining if a book is age appropriate, with suggested options of teachers, librarians, other school officials, parents or students.

The minister was adamant the government isn't embarking on a widespread book ban.

Nicolaides said the government is building missing guardrails, as there is no provincewide standard for determining age appropriateness.

"I want to be clear right from the onset — this is not a question of banning specific books or specific titles but rather establishing clear policies and guidelines for all school divisions to follow."

He said the government doesn't have the authority to ban books from schools.

“We want to ensure transparency for parents, so that they know what is available in their school library, and to have a process for complaints and concerns about book materials and other library materials.”

Nicolaides said the government's concerns are limited to graphic images and depictions of sexual activity. Themes and depictions of graphic violence are "probably not" an issue, he said.

"That's where I think we need to work to draw some of those lines."

When asked if he thinks new standards would see 2SLGBTQ+ specific content prohibited, Nicolaides said he didn't think so.

"This is not related to any kind of particular subject area," he said.

"If there was a book on astrophysics that had graphic sexual content, I would have the exact same concerns."

In a joint statement, trustees from the Edmonton and Calgary public school divisions said the government's announcement came as a "complete surprise," as no concerns had been raised before.

"Both our divisions follow established, rigorous processes to ensure that library resources are age appropriate and relevant for students," said the statement, adding both divisions have processes in place for parents and other members of the community to raise concerns about content.

Both divisions said they have pulled the four graphic novels in question from shelves while the content is reviewed. But a lack of communication from the government undermines the working relationship each has with the education ministry, said the statement.

The government said new rules developed would apply to public, separate, francophone, charter and independent schools but not municipal public libraries.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

Ontario teen dies after falling off 50-metre cliff in popular Metro Vancouver park

Ontario teen dies after falling off 50-metre cliff in popular Metro Vancouver park
A 17-year-old from Ontario is dead after climbing over a fence and falling off the edge of a cliff in a popular park in North Vancouver. Dwayne Derban, assistant fire chief with North Vancouver Fire and Rescue, says the boy was in an off-trail area of Lynn Canyon Park when it happened Sunday afternoon.

Ontario teen dies after falling off 50-metre cliff in popular Metro Vancouver park

Ticket blitz in Surrey

Ticket blitz in Surrey
Mounties in Surrey issued 40 tickets in two hours on Monday as part of a blitz aimed at protecting roadside workers. Police say 28 tickets were issued for cellphone use, eight for seatbelt violations and four for speeding.

Ticket blitz in Surrey

Sea otter pup livestream on now

Sea otter pup livestream on now
The Vancouver Aquarium says its sea otter pup online stream is now live. Canadians can see the progress of rescued sea otter pup Tofino as she settles into her permanent home. 

Sea otter pup livestream on now

2 million bathtubs: Calgarians urged to conserve as new water restrictions kick in

2 million bathtubs: Calgarians urged to conserve as new water restrictions kick in
A city official was conjuring images of bathtubs, swimming pools and jugs to drive home just how much water Calgarians need to save every day as they endure yet another round of rationing while a troubled pipe is repaired. 

2 million bathtubs: Calgarians urged to conserve as new water restrictions kick in

Mountain biker seriously injured

Mountain biker seriously injured
A 71-year-old mountain biker is in hospital with serious injuries after falling while riding trails in Castlegar.  R-C-M-P say the man was riding the mountain bike trails in the Merry Creek recreational area yesterday when he reportedly fell off a log bridge and became unconscious.

Mountain biker seriously injured

Highway 99 overnight closure in Delta

Highway 99 overnight closure in Delta
The provincial government is warning drivers about lane closures overnight on Highway 99 in Delta. Crews will be moving a large industrial crane across the highway for the 78th-Street-Interchange construction project.

Highway 99 overnight closure in Delta