Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 May, 2025 01:30 PM
  • Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Education Minister Demetrios Nicolaides said Monday the move was spurred by four graphic coming-of-age novels, most of which depict sexual LGBTQ+ content, found in circulation in Edmonton and Calgary public schools.

Nicolaides, speaking in Calgary, said a group of parents had approached him with concerns about the novels and government employees were sent to schools to confirm the books were available.

"These materials contain nudity and graphic explicit depictions of sexual acts and images, including oral sex," Nicolaides said, adding there was also concern about depictions of molestation, self-harm, drug and alcohol use, and derogatory language.

The novels are all by American authors: "Gender Queer" by Maia Kobabe, "Fun Home" by Alison Bechdel, "Blankets" by Craig Thompson and "Flamer" by Mike Curato.

Nicolaides said the government is developing new standards for school officials to determine the appropriateness of library materials. He said the province plans to have the new rules in place in time for the next school year. 

The government also launched an online survey on Monday to gather input from Albertans.

The survey, which is set to close June 6, features 13 questions, including how sexually explicit books should be handled and if parental consent should be required. It also asks who people think should be responsible for determining if a book is age appropriate, with suggested options of teachers, librarians, other school officials, parents or students.

The minister was adamant the government isn't embarking on a widespread book ban.

Nicolaides said the government is building missing guardrails, as there is no provincewide standard for determining age appropriateness.

"I want to be clear right from the onset — this is not a question of banning specific books or specific titles but rather establishing clear policies and guidelines for all school divisions to follow."

He said the government doesn't have the authority to ban books from schools.

“We want to ensure transparency for parents, so that they know what is available in their school library, and to have a process for complaints and concerns about book materials and other library materials.”

Nicolaides said the government's concerns are limited to graphic images and depictions of sexual activity. Themes and depictions of graphic violence are "probably not" an issue, he said.

"That's where I think we need to work to draw some of those lines."

When asked if he thinks new standards would see 2SLGBTQ+ specific content prohibited, Nicolaides said he didn't think so.

"This is not related to any kind of particular subject area," he said.

"If there was a book on astrophysics that had graphic sexual content, I would have the exact same concerns."

In a joint statement, trustees from the Edmonton and Calgary public school divisions said the government's announcement came as a "complete surprise," as no concerns had been raised before.

"Both our divisions follow established, rigorous processes to ensure that library resources are age appropriate and relevant for students," said the statement, adding both divisions have processes in place for parents and other members of the community to raise concerns about content.

Both divisions said they have pulled the four graphic novels in question from shelves while the content is reviewed. But a lack of communication from the government undermines the working relationship each has with the education ministry, said the statement.

The government said new rules developed would apply to public, separate, francophone, charter and independent schools but not municipal public libraries.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff McIntosh

MORE National ARTICLES

BC Hydro begins filling reservoir as Site C dam megaproject nears completion

BC Hydro begins filling reservoir as Site C dam megaproject nears completion
BC Hydro says it has begun filling the reservoir created by the massive Site C dam project in northeastern British Columbia. The provincial electric utility says in a statement that the filling of the reservoir is one of the last steps toward starting operations for the controversial dam project, located about 14 kilometres southwest of Fort St. John, B.C.

BC Hydro begins filling reservoir as Site C dam megaproject nears completion

West Coast Express commuter trains resume Monday as rail staff ordered back to work

West Coast Express commuter trains resume Monday as rail staff ordered back to work
Metro Vancouver's transit authority says the West Coast Express commuter train service shut down last week due to the Canada-wide rail stoppage will resume operations this week. TransLink issued a statement saying services will resume their normal schedules starting Monday, although there may be some delays "due to freight traffic backlog."

West Coast Express commuter trains resume Monday as rail staff ordered back to work

Canada to hit China with tariffs on electric vehicles, aluminum, steel

Canada to hit China with tariffs on electric vehicles, aluminum, steel
Canada is moving to match the United States with new tariffs on electric vehicles made in China in a bid to keep the cars from getting a significant foothold in the North American market. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau outlined the plan at the federal cabinet retreat in Halifax on Monday, promising to increase import taxes on Chinese-made EVs to 106.1 per cent on Oct. 1, up from 6.1 per cent.

Canada to hit China with tariffs on electric vehicles, aluminum, steel

Canada to restrict low-wage foreign workers, consider lower immigration targets

Canada to restrict low-wage foreign workers, consider lower immigration targets
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is urging businesses to hire Canadians as his government announces new restrictions to limit the number of low-wage temporary foreign workers in the country. Ottawa is also considering whether to reduce its annual targets for permanent residency — a potentially major shift on immigration policy for the Liberals.

Canada to restrict low-wage foreign workers, consider lower immigration targets

Canada's two major railways resume service as railroaders return to work

Canada's two major railways resume service as railroaders return to work
Trains began to trundle along the tracks of Canada's two major railways on Monday after the federal labour board ended a four-day work stoppage that snarled supply chains and upended commutes. Amid a bitter labour dispute, the Canada Industrial Relations Board on Saturday ordered Canadian National Railway Co. and Canadian Pacific Kansas City Ltd. to resume operations and 9,300 workers to return to their posts at 12:01 a.m. ahead of binding arbitration set to begin this week.

Canada's two major railways resume service as railroaders return to work

Strike threat looms in HandyDART dispute as union vote suspends job action

Strike threat looms in HandyDART dispute as union vote suspends job action
Potential disruption to British Columbia's HandyDART transit service this morning was averted after workers suspended job action to vote on a final contract offer, but strike action remains a possibility. Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1724 says it will give a 72-hour strike notice if the membership votes down the latest offer by Transdev Canada.

Strike threat looms in HandyDART dispute as union vote suspends job action